INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

How much was the meat bird formula? I'm doing dumor starter/grower with supplemental calcium for all of my chickens. It's 15.99 a bag at TSC. It's cheaper than the layer and the chick starter though.
It was $13.50 a bag with tax. I was just looking at the tag and it's medicated. I'd prefer it not to be, but I'll still use it. Their layer was $12 but with only 14% protein, I'll continue to buy the Dumor. I typically use the Dumor layer for most of the birds. It's running $12 for 50# bag. The chicks and young ones are getting the dumor chick starter/grower that has 20% protein and runs $14.50 a bag. Then the quail get the dumor chick starter at 24% protein and runs $17 a bag!

Last edited:
It was $13.50 a bag with tax. I was just looking at the tag and it's medicated. I'd prefer it not to be, but I'll still use it. Their layer was $12 but with only 14% protein, I'll continue to buy the Dumor. I typically use the Dumor layer for most of the birds. It's running $12 for 50# bag. The chicks and young ones are getting the dumor chick starter/grower that has 20% protein and runs $14.50 a bag. Then the quail get the dumor chick starter at 24% protein and runs $17 a bag!

Re:fodder you recvd today--how many pounds and how much cost?

I've been feeding the meat bird from RK , just got some today. 15.99$ for a 50#. And I have calcium out. They seem to not be as hungry with it. I mix it with a bit of "fines" I got for free( almost out) and then they get scratch in the late afternoon. And the scratch was 9.99$

Yet another chicken head/steady cam ad:

OMG!!!! I loved that video but she is certainly one brave girl!!!
Sorry, kayaking over the falls is beyond my comfort zone
lau.gif

I have my first ever Broody hen! She is sticking to the eggs like no other. I have booted her off once each day for the past four days and after a quick eat and drink back she goes. There are 11 eggs under her so keep your fingers crossed for me. She is all set up in a nice broody box now. This will also be my first ever hatch. Soooooo excited!
wee.gif
fl.gif
CONGRATS
celebrate.gif
sending broody vibes!!
Good Mornin' everyone :)
I am wondering if there would happen to be anyone in this forum that's also in or around the Bedford area that would be interested in 6 free Rhode Island Red hens. We're culling these 6 birds out to make room for replacement chicks in the spring. We need to cull them because they have become of age that they are not laying eggs anymore and have become just food burners. I'm trying to find them a home in someone else's freezer for two reasons...#1. I've never butchered a chicken and not sure the proper way to go about it & #2. Our birds hang around long enough to be our "pets" and ,well, you know....

So, if anyone can use them or knows someone in need, please shoot me a message. If it's within a reasonable driving distance, I will even offer to bring them to you live, in trade for you teaching me how to butcher them properly in the future. :)
If we were closer, I would be able to take them, or even possibly rehome them. Do you know how old they are? I am up in east central IN. Sometimes, an older hen is good to add to a flock, helps the younger pullets learn where to lay. "spent hens" will still lay on occasion, and it really helped my first girls catch on fast. I took in 4 partridge rocks from a girl leaving 4H. They were lovely birds, all were about 2-3 years old. They all did get rehomed with a friend just starting out with chickens.
We hold a "chickenfest" yearly or more (hopefully!) and did a hands on workshop for several of our members to learn processing. We have a workshop early so members that don't feel comfortable can come and join after those activities are "over". racinchickins was gracious and generous in hosting our very first one last July!
bow.gif
We hope to host more in the north and south sections of our state so all members can join in the fun. We are always looking for ideas to demonstrate and share, and of course locations too! I would love to hold the next one north or south so we can all get to meet one another
big_smile.png

Quote: I am calling around trying to find a kent feeds dealer locally, they have and interesting all in one flock mix you can supplement with corn/grain to adjust the protein level.
Always looking for a single feed that will work for all my birds. Here is the link for the mix:
http://kentfeeds.com/products/other-animals/poultry/
The downfall has been that they don't seem to update the supplier list, many are no longer open.
My fodder grain arrived today! I went around looking for the tubs I thought I had and can't find them lol. I guess I'll just have to go out and pick up a few more.
You will find them as soon as you buy more, that's how my luck works!
I've come across the opportunity to get one of my favorite chicken breeds and will be picking up a few varieties this coming weekend! Modern Game Bantams! I'm getting a pair of Birchens and a Trio of Blues. Once I get there I may also get a pair of Brown Reds! After trying earlier this year at obtaining this breed and it not working out makes me even more excited to get them!
Exciting! They are very attractive birds, unique and interesting, cant wait to see pics!
Sad day here on the home front.
sad.png
One of my RIRs died this morning.
hit.gif
She appeared to be peaceful in the nesting box with one of her BO sisters laying next to her.
hit.gif
She was very low in the pecking order and I fear the wetness, cold and lack of food in her system caused her demise. It is appropriately gloomy.
hugs.gif
I am so sorry for your loss. I have been worried sick with the rain and now the temps.
Hold my breath when I go out to the coops in the mornings, been a harsh winter already.

I've been feeding the meat bird from RK , just got some today. 15.99$ for a 50#. And I have calcium out. They seem to not be as hungry with it. I mix it with a bit of "fines" I got for free( almost out) and then they get scratch in the late afternoon. And the scratch was 9.99$
I think I looked at that last time I was there. Is it medicated? I remember thinking 22% protein was a really good level, but something stopped me from getting it.
I probably didn't have enough room left on the dolly to carry it
lau.gif

Quote: wow that is a good price on the barley! I may get that, and mix in the white milo I have.
I like the look of that listing too on eBay, shipping is reasonable considering how many stores you have to visit to get that mix
roll.png

hugs.gif
to M2H, now that I have a camera, look out, gonna be picture crazy on all my critters
big_smile.png

I finally got to sit down and open my packages and felt like a little kid Christmas day!
Battery is charging and please tell me to stop if I make you guys crazy
lau.gif

Hope you are all safe and well from the flooding. Our neighbors right on Fall Creek lost their house trailer.
We stopped to check on them and the trailer had moved off its pillars, and even the propane tank was trying to float!
They were at a standstill, we offered them storage room for anything they needed and a dry place to park cars etc.
Or just come in, get warm, eat and dry out! I have a huge batch of chicken & veggie dumplings in the crock pot in case they want it.
DH told them anything needed pulled out of the mud we can bring the wench, tractor, trailer and the dually down.
My thoughts go out to so many families dealing with this at Christmas. We are high enough we just have big puddles.

My aunt Evelyn passed Sunday, My Dads oldest sister. She had the same heart valve disease as my Dad.
She was in hospice at home and in the care of our family, as it should be.
Love every moment you have with those most dear to you, you do not know what tomorrow may bring.
I won't be online the next few days, I want to wish all my good friends here Merry Christmas
hugs.gif

I am calling around trying to find a kent feeds dealer locally, they have and interesting all in one flock mix you can supplement with corn/grain to adjust the protein level.
Always looking for a single feed that will work for all my birds. Here is the link for the mix:
http://kentfeeds.com/products/other-animals/poultry/
The downfall has been that they don't seem to update the supplier list, many are no longer open.
You will find them as soon as you buy more, that's how my luck works!
Exciting! They are very attractive birds, unique and interesting, cant wait to see pics!
:hugs I am so sorry for your loss. I have been worried sick with the rain and now the temps.
Hold my breath when I go out to the coops in the mornings, been a harsh winter already.
I was thinking that Simpson grain in Huntington Co (part of salamonie mills were I bought the feed today) does or did carry kent products. http://www.salamoniemills.com

I was browsing juergens do it best hardware in Huntington and I also think they sell kent feed. I didn't see that there though, but maybe able to order.
http://juergens.doitbest.com/home.aspx

And lastly, Family Farm and Home also sell kent feed. Only one I know of around here is in Peru, In.
https://www.familyfarmandhome.com

Back
Top Bottom