INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Merry Christmas back at all y'all.

Santa brought me a lava lamp (wanted one that last 30 years) and my DW got me a weather staion. The chickens were not impressed, all they wanted was some cracked corn:
^^^should be able to call Mars with that thing, or at least stop the government moon beams ror.

^^^we call her *Floppy*. No issues with frost bite comb yet! Still getting 30-35 eggs/week from our 7 girls.

And yes, that's a real rotary phone y'all see. Still works great, but the sound quality is poor.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! I enjoyed the so with family. The chickens weren't too happy with the wind and spend practically the whole day inside the coop, well except the silkies. Those little buggers are out pretty much everyday!

Lovely lava lamp. I got a flashlight to use to see into the darker eggs I have set. Over 200 lumen and I still can't see a thing in the dark eggs. But the other lighter eggs look great. I can even see feathers floating in one that is 13.5 days along.

Hope everyone is having a lovely holiday!!

Minmin - I used a drop of mineral oil on mine with their pasty butts. Veg oil should work too. That way I didn't get them wet, it softened it and it pulled off better later. And the only thing else I can think of too is electrolytes. Sorry, wishing you luck.

Too fast- love the weather station and lava lamp!!

Brad- my silkies will be out too, unless it's snowy . I have 3 silkies with 3 Banty Cochin and the Cochin will stay in. However last week with all the rain I had brown muddy silkies!!

How warm should the brooder be? Is 97 too warm? Not warm enough?
Here's the type of chart we followed when ours were young. There's more info on this link: How Much Heat Should Baby Chicks Have? - Nutrena

Originally Posted by goodb
Sad day here on the home front.
sad.png
One of my RIRs died this morning.
hit.gif
She appeared to be peaceful in the nesting box with one of her BO sisters laying next to her.
hit.gif
She was very low in the pecking order and I fear the wetness, cold and lack of food in her system caused her demise. It is appropriately gloomy.
goodb ~ Very sad to hear! The weather conditions have made it so stressful for our chickens/animals. Hope the sun is shining now for everyone.
Kiniska ~ Congrats! So is your broody hen an English Orp? How about the eggs?

Sad day here on the home front.
sad.png
One of my RIRs died this morning.
hit.gif
She appeared to be peaceful in the nesting box with one of her BO sisters laying next to her.
hit.gif
She was very low in the pecking order and I fear the wetness, cold and lack of food in her system caused her demise. It is appropriately gloomy.
Thank you all for the kind words. She was special not only to me but my daughter as well. She had a cool way of letting you know she was hearing you as she tilted her head like a dog sometimes does. She was a sweetie and I'll miss her...such is the life of a husbandman! <sigh>

Big hugs to you Goodb. Sorry to hear you lost a special one.

M2H, yes she is a LF blue English ORP and she is setting LF EO eggs. Definitely some black and blue, possibly some splashes will hatch out as well. Are you wanting some chicks?

Last edited:
So I have 2 broody silkies that won't break. I thought about giving them each 2 eggs to hatch. I am going to be overrun with silkies pretty soon lol. I hope some of my indiana friends on here might help me with that problem ;).... You all know you want some. hehehe

Since the thread is a bit slow and I haven't posted any updated pics of the flock...
The Judge has gotten really big. He is two arm fulls of bird. Thankfully he is super docile. Sorry if I already posted this picture.

Back
Top Bottom