INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

900x900px-LL-e7421569_waterfeed.jpeg
I shared this on my FB around the beginning of December. Who was I kidding?! :barnie A few pictures of 'the damage'. I took these yesterday evening. The chicken yard. Not a single hen has set foot out here in two days. For height reference, by the way, that 2x4 frame with chicken wire in it on the left side of the picture is 3 feet tall as it is standing.
Here's another view of the chicken yard:
Our big forsythia bush:
A pine tree, with the Guinea aviary visible behind it:
My path to the Guinea aviary, which is deeper than it appears because the snow keeps falling back into it as I walk by. The pens in the background house my 'outcasts'--one evil hen and one old rooster. My third 'outcast', the special needs rooster, decided to sleep outside in the wind on his waterer and froze to death a few weeks ago. :/
And here is a view of the woods. This picture does it absolutely no justice.

Last edited:
RIP Jersey [COLOR=8B4513]~ She came to live with us on June 12, 2012 and was put to sleep at the Veterinarian's on January 7, 2014. I was lucky to have her and she was lucky to have me. Jersey was the flock leader, my favorite chicken, and the only one who knew her name and could have a back and forth "conversation." (I'm not sure what we talked about, but she was very engaging!) I will miss her so much![/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Diagnosis: Large tumor mass growing, smaller tumors also -- Ovarian Cancer. Egg peritonitis could be secondary, but large tumor was primary problem. I asked the vet about pain since it was difficult to tell. He agreed that it's difficult to know, but typically chickens barely eat or quit eating when they're in pain. Jersey still ate and led the flock around, but not as enthusiastically as she used to do. At least she didn't have to suffer since I first noticed things weren't quite right a few weeks ago, so it hadn't progressed into a really bad condition. I didn't think I'd ever have a chicken in "Freezer Camp," but she's in the vet's freezer until the ground warms enough to bury here at home. (Total bill: $45 fyi) Very reasonable.[/COLOR]
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll miss her thru your posts and remarks about her. She's in hen heaven! Rest in Peace Jersey.

I can not wait until I can move the chickens back outside! 2am and I think every rooster in the garage is crowing! And my bedroom is next to the garage! Second night in a row they are doing this!

Back
Top Bottom