INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Sympathizing with all the lack 'o sleep crew. Dogs woke me up barking at 4am. Looked out the window and the local coyote pack was in our yard near the barn. Got dressed and took the dogs out with me to the barn. Made sure to make a lot of noise on the way there. Didn't find any issues around the chicken and turkey pens, so made a loop around the barn. Then the thunder and lightning started and my big brave coyote chasing dogs basically drug me back to the house. That pretty much ended the night for me, couldn't get back to sleep. Combined with a few other sleepless nights recently, I'm pretty much in zombie mode. I'm right there with ya on counting down to the weekend.

I wish you the best of luck getting sleep soon! With the storms predicted for tonight, I'm pretty sure it will be another late night, but who knows...it might just turn out ok!
I'm setting Black Copper Marans Sunday but depending on hatch rate I may be selling. Hatching some for BrownCow. Due date won't be til 3/13 tho. I work in Indy Monday and Tuesday so just let me know if timing works and if you're interested. Setting as many as the bator will hold. Unfortunately that's only about 41!!! LOL

Here are the eggs I've gathered. I was hoping to hatch a few AM and NN a couple Olive Egged but I've hit my limit already and have 2 more days of gathering. Think I'm going to just pic the absolute darkest eggs put a few off breeds in the fridge. I have a blue Marans and a GCM but they are hatchery so I'm going to try to darken their eggs up. The carton with the lighter eggs is what my hatchery Marans look like. They shouldn't even be able to advertise as selling Marans because they have to meet at least a 4 on the shade chart and they do not! IMHO
Rant done! Hahaha!

One of my hens. Below is my lone Roo. Hoping to hatch out at least 5 keepers for myself. I need more pairing for my girls!
OOOHHHHHH!!!!! That's on my list. I really want super dark eggs to go with the other lovely colors we have...If you have a spare pullet, I'd love one. I could coordinate with Peaceful Walls and get my stuff spotless before they get here.

LAM- Will you have any Buckeye Pullets soon or anymore Bantam Ameraucana babies?

Hey Indianapolis folks!(any lurkers out there?)
Do any of you have chicks for sale? I have a couple day olds coming and I would really like to brood a few more if I'm going to go through the whole set up.
I wanted to check here, before hitting CL.
When are yours coming? Mine are going to start hatching next week, and I'm sure I'll have more than I want to keep.

I'm setting Black Copper Marans Sunday but depending on hatch rate I may be selling. Hatching some for BrownCow. Due date won't be til 3/13 tho. I work in Indy Monday and Tuesday so just let me know if timing works and if you're interested. Setting as many as the bator will hold. Unfortunately that's only about 41!!! LOL

Here are the eggs I've gathered. I was hoping to hatch a few AM and NN a couple Olive Egged but I've hit my limit already and have 2 more days of gathering. Think I'm going to just pic the absolute darkest eggs put a few off breeds in the fridge. I have a blue Marans and a GCM but they are hatchery so I'm going to try to darken their eggs up. The carton with the lighter eggs is what my hatchery Marans look like. They shouldn't even be able to advertise as selling Marans because they have to meet at least a 4 on the shade chart and they do not! IMHO
Rant done! Hahaha!

One of my hens. Below is my lone Roo. Hoping to hatch out at least 5 keepers for myself. I need more pairing for my girls!

We got a Meyer Hatchery Golden Cuckoo Marans. Her eggs are dark, but nothing unusual or award winning. Love her the same though...

I'm contemplating placing an order for pullets soon with Strombergs. There's a minimum of 25 chicks before April and also a breed minimum of 5. The breeds I'm thinking of are speckled sussex, blue laced red wyandotte, mottled java, salmon favorelle and California white. I think I may only keep about 3 of each though. If I do get an order placed in the next couple weeks would any of you be interested in the extra pullets?
My mom likes salmon favorelles but doubt we could get any from you as we live at the very bottom of Indiana and you live at the top.

I have a question I was going to use a Rubbermaid box as my brooder and put a little hardware cloth window in for them. Some people say since they are plastic they get to hot. Anyone used a Rubbermaid box before and if so did you have any troubles?

My mom likes salmon favorelles but doubt we could get any from you as we live at the very bottom of Indiana and you live at the top.

I have a question I was going to use a Rubbermaid box as my brooder and put a little hardware cloth window in for them. Some people say since they are plastic they get to hot. Anyone used a Rubbermaid box before and if so did you have any troubles?

I use them and don't have issues. I always keep a thermometer in mine though to b sure

Doc told DH he didn't have to use the brace anymore unless he needed it. wants him to keep it as straight as he can and still use the crutches. And start physical therapy. didn't take the stitches out till next week. so bath time is still going to be a pain.

it was a dusting party today when we got back from Doc. It was sooo cute !!!!!
love.gif

AND- I really hope your son gets back on track.  Its really hard when everyone is out of sync.  He's still young enough for a nap time isn't he?  Wasn't he one of the babies at the Poultryfest?

Thanks! He seems to go through spells. We will have a really hard time and then we seem to have things fixed and it gets difficult again. He'll be 4 in June so he's kind of in between naps and not :( He was not at Poultryfest, DD was with me :)

Rant done! Hahaha!

Woo hoo!! Can't wait!! The eggs and the birds are gorgeous! :)

Rant done! Hahaha!

Oh so tempting! I would take a few... At that date they should only be a few weeks apart...so I'll say yes! I want hen and egg diversity and I want to try out a few breeds. I need experience with all the different personalities before I eventually decide on what I want to stick with.

When are yours coming?  Mine are going to start hatching next week, and I'm sure I'll have more than I want to keep. 

Oh yes! Please pm me when they hatch.

I use a large dark purple tote and I t has been awesome, very easy to clean out. I put a thermometer under the lamp, but about 6 inches away from its center. It's just a super basic $2 outdoor therm. I feel like it's pretty accurate, because all my chicks/ducklings all seem to be very content during different ages. They have room to move about, get away for the light etc. Once the lamp is far enough away to match the ambient room temp, I move the thermometer to the other side of the tote, just to keep an eye on the "cool" zone.

Thanks.  I will get a thermometer.  We have a poultry club meeting Saturday morning ill have to see if my leader has any chicks he wants to sell :D

Ahhhh, yes... I miss the good ol' days of 4H! What great memories.

Back
Top Bottom