INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I think your plan will help. Removing them will change the flocks pecking order almost immediately. They will be stressed in jail, and it will change them too.
I have crated hens before too. Only one EE went to the freezer, flat hateful cruel bird. 3rd time was it.

I would look at the largest breed you own, and add 15% to the estimated size for the pop door.
You should submit an article on your build in the coops section once you are one, sooo not kidding!
Show off your work!
If you do not have odor, set the eggs.  Just be sure to smell your incubator, I am not kidding.
Every day take a wiff at the ventilation holes. Some of the breeds you set, the eggs are darker. It can't hurt.
I won't toss eggs till day 25 if there is no odors.

I thought about doing that. I'm not much of a writer. But I have been saving my pics in a album. We will see how it turns out first!! Thanks for the nice words about it so far.

I don't think this siding is ever going to get done!!

It's 08:30 and I'm done!! At least for a couple days....
I agree it looks like log cabin
love.gif

Phew! Is this day over yet? I honestly didn't even accomplish much today...
Managed to lock my keys in my car, so I was stuck at work today after I was done. Since my DD comes with me, I couldn't even hitch a ride, since she'd be car seat-less.
I DID re-home René with thanks to @jchny2000 . I never thought I would ever need to do it, but he was going down the wrong path with the rest of the flock(and my neighbors). Now I know he'll be happy and spoiled.
What a HUGE Relief!!!! It was like a weight lifted off my shoulders... One less thing to worry about.
Now to rehome some of these little pullets...finish the duck run, build all my compost bins, clean up the trees/branches/sticks/leaves in my yard, build a fence, and decide if I am going to start a garden. Easy stuff.
I hate those days
hugs.gif

I just candled every egg in my incubator. Good news/ bad news.

25/28 Bresse eggs with movement day 9. 2 blood rings and 1 inconclusive. :)

9/10 legbars with movement day 9. One quitter. :)

All 3 BR turkey eggs from Jchny2000 are developing day 8. One with definite movement. :)

All 7 blue/gold partridge brahma shipped eggs look pretty scrambled with no development day 5. :-(

For anyone I've sold eggs to recently, you should have a good chance at a good hatch. Fertility for both CCL and AB was 100%.

Also put 9 of my turkey eggs in tonight as a test hatch. They are Royal Palm or RP/Narragansett cross
clap.gif

We lost our turkey hen today. Tom wanted to mate, she didn't, he didn't care, cornered her got her down and proceeded to try. He slipped and ripped her open but good as she still was trying to get away. Had them separated, he flew over the fence I'm guessing. And now that I'm thinking about it, he probably got on his roost and jumped over the fence.

We decided to cull her as her whole left side was open under her wing. It also looked like I missed a puncture from when he did this earlier in the week (we found her laying upside down, unable to right herself, she had some bloody spots on her face and snood and some on her right wing), as she had infection in the right wing/chest area. She also had some blood clotting internally, so we opted not to put her in the freezer. She was getting ready to lay, she had 6 large eggs all lined up ready to pop out and lots of little ones.

She weighed in at 36 lbs dead weight, with a decent amount of fatty tissue. I really didn't think she was that large. Maybe they were BBB after all. Tom is huge and after this latest escapade, is now limping. He will be culled in the next couple of days. I'm scared to see how much he weighs.

If I ever get turkeys again, it will be from a breeder. No more hatchery. Tom was not a very nice bird. Hoping to have better luck with the "nasty" bred out of them.

Glad and jealous at all the hatching taking place, coops going up, I love it spring is officially here!!

No new birds for us this spring. Maybe next spring. We are getting 1 doz eggs a day, every day out of 17 layers. Can't ask for more than that. I am giving the extras away, and still have 8 doz sitting on the counter atm. I probably need to start charging for them, so our feed is paid for.

Deb
hugs.gif
sorry

Tomorrow I will be setting A load of Quail Eggs From Jchny2000 I am so excited for round two with the incubator.
clap.gif
I have decided Just for fun I will also put some of my Eggs from my 2 bantam hens in the incubator as well.. This will be fun Because I have no Idea what I am going to end up with.. Possibly some of you will have some Ideas of what can come out of this cross.. I have a normal size Barred Rock rooster who has got ahold of my two pet bantam hens. I am unsure of the one hens breed but I have a picture of her so maybe someone knows what she is.. The other bantam hen is a D'Uccle or something like that is the name. I will post pictures.
THis is the Bantam hen I am unsure of the breed of.

this is a picture of a bird that looks nearly exactly like the one I believe is a D'uccle.
The Rooster is a normal full size Barred Rock any guesses on the outcome?
good luck with the hatch,
fl.gif
pretty hens DH says she is camouflaged. lol

I agree it looks like log cabin
love.gif

I hate those days
hugs.gif

clap.gif

hugs.gif
sorry

good luck with the hatch,
fl.gif
pretty hens DH says she is camouflaged. lol
I don't know for sure, but I think the first one looks like a Golden Sebright, the second looks like a Mille Fleur Booted. I'm just guessing though. Maybe someone with more knowledge can tell you for sure.

Sorry this was meant for HappyHappyHappy

Last edited:
I just candled every egg in my incubator. Good news/ bad news.

25/28 Bresse eggs with movement day 9. 2 blood rings and 1 inconclusive. :)

9/10 legbars with movement day 9. One quitter. :)

All 3 BR turkey eggs from Jchny2000 are developing day 8. One with definite movement. :)

All 7 blue/gold partridge brahma shipped eggs look pretty scrambled with no development day 5. :-(

For anyone I've sold eggs to recently, you should have a good chance at a good hatch. Fertility for both CCL and AB was 100%.

Also put 9 of my turkey eggs in tonight as a test hatch. They are Royal Palm or RP/Narragansett cross

Racin: your upcoming hatch sounds awesome!
All the chick pictures and hatch talk is killing me!
When we built our coop, we designed it for 8 LF-- no more. Perch space, nest boxes, poultry nipples, sq ft of floor space, etc., all designed for a max of 8 birds.
Our coop works FANTASTIC for the girls, but TERRIBLE for my chicken math! AACK!!!!!
This first spring without chicks has been a really tough one. We had to go to TSC to get a fix of cheeping and fuzzy down babies.
Don't miss the dust and chick mess in the house though!

Yeah work great and I can get them for nothing.

It's a great idea!

It looks great and you are making progress fast! This probably would have taken me a month, maybe longer. It is so hard to find the time 

Your coop is looking amazing! It'll look great when it's done and I'm sure we're all excited to see the finished project :)

Tomorrow I will be setting A load of Quail Eggs From Jchny2000 I am so excited for round two with the incubator. :clap I have decided Just for fun I will also put some of my Eggs from my 2 bantam hens in the incubator as well.. This will be fun Because I have no Idea what I am going to end up with.. Possibly some of you will have some Ideas of what can come out of this cross.. I have a normal size Barred Rock rooster who has got ahold of my two pet bantam hens. I am unsure of the one hens breed but I have a picture of her so maybe someone knows what she is.. The other bantam hen is a D'Uccle or something like that is the name. I will post pictures. . THis is the Bantam hen I am unsure of the breed of. this is a picture of a bird that looks nearly exactly like the one I believe is a D'uccle. The Rooster is a normal full size Barred Rock any guesses on the outcome?
Theme first is a gold seabright and the other is a Mille fleur d'uccle.
It's a great idea! Your coop is looking amazing! It'll look great when it's done and I'm sure we're all excited to see the finished project :)
It's not my coop, but I wish it was! They are making great progress

When I get the coop done what's the best way to intraduce my chicks to it from the brooder? My chickens are free range. I'm thinking of a temp run for awhile until they get the hang of going in and out of the coop. Any other ideas on how to transfer from brooder to coop?

Tomorrow I will be setting A load of Quail Eggs From Jchny2000 I am so excited for round two with the incubator.
clap.gif
I have decided Just for fun I will also put some of my Eggs from my 2 bantam hens in the incubator as well.. This will be fun Because I have no Idea what I am going to end up with.. Possibly some of you will have some Ideas of what can come out of this cross.. I have a normal size Barred Rock rooster who has got ahold of my two pet bantam hens. I am unsure of the one hens breed but I have a picture of her so maybe someone knows what she is.. The other bantam hen is a D'Uccle or something like that is the name. I will post pictures.
THis is the Bantam hen I am unsure of the breed of.

this is a picture of a bird that looks nearly exactly like the one I believe is a D'uccle.
The Rooster is a normal full size Barred Rock any guesses on the outcome?
DH seen your Millie and wants some!!!! He has gone GAGA over them !!!!!!!! but every place is sold out, now he is upset.... lol " chicken people are nuts " kind think this and Cochin's have turned him into a " chicken people " .

Back
Top Bottom