INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

For poking around outside, I think I actually got a little done. I fixed a pen that had a piece of loose netting- I really should of done that last week, because everyday this girl has been out

She is easy to catch

I cleaned out the shop. It had sawdust piles I had swept up, but not scooped. (from when I had quarientine pens sat up)

Took apart some pallets

And got the bottom and 1 side done for one of my new breeding pens. (not yet actually put together
CCCHICKENS ~ I went back to find your post because she reminds me of Nene.
My son's GF took this photo-- this is Nene's classic floppy-combed mad look when someone comes over: "Who are you and what are you doing here?! I don't recall approving your visit!!"

In the book Raising Chickens For Dummies, they suggest you should keep chicks away from larger birds until they are of a similar size. Smaller ones tend to get picked on by larger birds. When first introducing new members to an established flock, they recommended letting the birds see each other but not touch-like putting the new ones in a cage within your coop for example. I did this when introducing members to my flock, I let the new birds free range around my chicken run. Then a couple days later, I let them all free range together and kept an eye on them to make sure no one was getting picked on too much. I free ranged them together every day for a week before integrating them together (this was after an 8 week quarantine). I found out one of my chickens was much smaller and was getting picked on a lot by the other hens. She went back into the separate enclosure with a couple of buddies who didn't pick on her. After she got a little larger, I was able to integrate her into the flock seamlessly. Hope this helps, that book has been a lifesaver for me.
atrueb00 ~ I'm so happy to have a fellow member who quotes their books! I'm always relaying info from Chicken Health For Dummies - Backyard Chickens
Originally Posted by bradselig

I picked up an assortment of chicks today as well as some eggs! Only thing is I don't know exactly what the chicks are! Lol. I believe there are legbars, Rhodebars, bielefelders, possibly marsh daisies and can't remember the other possibilities. I'm thinking the big white chick maybe an orpington? No idea on the black chick either. Also picked up an assortment of eggs of legbars, Russian orloff, hedemora, cuckoo silkie, jubilee orpington, partridge barthuhner, and sulmtaler. I also got coronation Sussex eggs for Janet and meet up with her. I took some turkey eggs from her and also picked up a shipment of showgirl eggs from the PO! My incubator is now packed full of eggs!

bradselig ~ We knew something was wrong when you said you went to RK or some place and passed up chicks. Glad to hear you're feeling better!!
wink.png

I posted this question with a long quote so maybe it was missed ( easy to do I know ).
Can I put 7 -13 week old chicks in the coop with adults, they have been in the Silkie coop and are starting to outgrow the Silkies and are not too kind to them. no blood or anything that mean, but it is the Silkies home so if I can get them out and give the Silkies a break, I would like to do so. What is everyone's op on this. I know what the book says but I prefer life experiences. I have found that they are better then books allot of the time. They will be completely off the heat lamp come Saturday, I only turn it on if it gets below 40 right now.

I am not sure what you are putting them in with but when I did something similar in the past I only had problems with the chicks that were white. If they start to bleed when they are pecked they will become a big target. If they have lots of places they can hide or get away they should be fine. If they get pecked and start to bleed things can get bad in a hurry.

I am not sure what you are putting them in with but when I did something similar in the past I only had problems with the chicks that were white. If they start to bleed when they are pecked they will become a big target. If they have lots of places they can hide or get away they should be fine. If they get pecked and start to bleed things can get bad in a hurry.
I am going to put them in with my layer hens, in the permanent coop. Think I know what I'm going to do latter when this rain stops I am going to take pic's and post to get op's on if ya'll think it will work, if my coop don't float away.... lol

I have 2 Silkie chicks 12 weeks old, I thought they were both Roo's due to a noise they make that sounded like they were trying to crow.... but I have been looking at allot of Silkie pic's and I have noticed that they are not getting the "ribbons" in their tails like all the Roo's I have seen pic's of. Is it too soon? am I jumping the gun, or do I have some messed up Roo's?

These are supposed to be SLW...I'm extremely fond of all my chickens, but does anyone else think these are the "ugliest SLWs" they've ever seen???
:confused:

I bought them at the RK in Muncie. The bin said SLW pullets.

This middle bird is a picture of the 'GLW' I got from Meyer.
She was scroungy looking for weeks, and I kept wondering when her gold lacing was going to come in.
I use quotes because she turned out to be BR. HQ has a whole new meaning now!
We love her and she's a real sweetie. Just not GLW!

Another set of twins this morning!!! Pics will come later!! One more doe due and we will be done kidding for the season.

It's a good thing you're at the far side of our state!
We keep wavering back and forth on raising a dwarf doe. If you were any closer, we'd have already stopped by to check them out!
Congrats!!

Thanks everyone, so far we have 4-bucklings and 4-doelings! 50/50 can't beat that lol. Hoping for our last doe to kid two bucklings. We have our hands full that's for sure.

Last edited:
Hi I am new to this and have bought 60 Cornish X for meat purposes. I was wondering if anyone lives near me that has a Chicken plucker that I could borrow or rent for a weekend in the coming months to clean my chickens? I live right at the state line of Michigan and Indiana in Niles. It's right by Notre Dame in South Bend if you are not familair with the area. Thanks for the time. Also attached is a picture of the little chicks
There is a guy on Craigslist that advertises plucking near you.

Back
Top Bottom