INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I can usually keep up with the thread, but I've been bogged down with spring yard clean up. You guys have been busy, too!
Sad news:
I lost 3 more chicks to the cocci. An EE and then after a day, 2 Minorcas in one night. Those surprised me! I had seriously thought I had caught it in time. They had been running around really well the day before. Their wings were droopy, but I thought I had it nipped. What a total shame.
Went to my FIL's overnight, Saturday. I had to ask a friend to let out and feed everyone on Sunday. I thought for sure she was going to come and find the last Minorca gone, but the little thing lived! So far, so good, knocking on wood. I'm wondering if this breed is just more susceptible? :(
Better news:
All the adult birds were water logged tonight. My flock appears to enjoy the rain...? Is that even possible??? Even my silkie was acting like it was the best day ever. Weird little thing.
All the food is under shelter, so they honestly had no reason to be running about in this nonsense. I guess they're just happy it's not white.
My FIL lives out near Brazil, IN. I love it there! It's nice and quiet, very rural. We had a terrible experience at lunch, though. My FIL said "Well, it's a small town, they're not used to too many demands."
Really? So asking for ketchup, refills, and to tell us the NAMES of the beers on tap is not a common occurrence? Lol, whatever. I'm not picky, I swear!
Anyways, I couldn't help but wonder how many BYC Hoosiers I missed meeting up with??? I kept my eye out, on every farm we passed, in hopes of catching a glimpse of a backyard coop. Next time, I'll send a shout out and maybe I can clean out a coop or two and see what country life is really all about.
(I used to run a horse barn...I do actually know what it's all about) it would have been nice to have met a couple.
I think I'm collecting BYC members...

Happy belated birthday to my oldest hen, Cubby, who turned 9 years old on Saturday! :D I totally forgot about it because of all the stuff I have going on, but I'm sure she doesn't mind. This girl arrived here as a day old chick. I can't believe she's still as active as she is--and that it's been 9 years since I got my first chickens!! :eek:

So I was thinking about the BYC article contest (which is here, for anyone that hasn't heard of it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/864291/byc-article-writing-contest-5-2014-write-win ) and was wondering what y'all thought of an article idea I had. I'm not sure it's really totally chicken related, although I'd focus on chickens in it, but I thought I might write a sort of beginner's guide to genetics? Of course, I'm not an expert by any means, but I feel like I might be able to translate some of the jargon into terms that are more easily understood. Does that seem like a useful idea to anyone, or should I try to think of something else?

Wow pipd! Congrats to you and your lovely lady! Quite the accomplishment! Does she still lay for you?

I can usually keep up with the thread, but I've been bogged down with spring yard clean up. You guys have been busy, too!
Sad news:
I lost 3 more chicks to the cocci. An EE and then after a day, 2 Minorcas in one night. Those surprised me! I had seriously thought I had caught it in time. They had been running around really well the day before. Their wings were droopy, but I thought I had it nipped. What a total shame.
Went to my FIL's overnight, Saturday. I had to ask a friend to let out and feed everyone on Sunday. I thought for sure she was going to come and find the last Minorca gone, but the little thing lived! So far, so good, knocking on wood. I'm wondering if this breed is just more susceptible? :(
Better news:
All the adult birds were water logged tonight. My flock appears to enjoy the rain...? Is that even possible??? Even my silkie was acting like it was the best day ever. Weird little thing.
All the food is under shelter, so they honestly had no reason to be running about in this nonsense. I guess they're just happy it's not white.
My FIL lives out near Brazil, IN. I love it there! It's nice and quiet, very rural. We had a terrible experience at lunch, though. My FIL said "Well, it's a small town, they're not used to too many demands."
Really? So asking for ketchup, refills, and to tell us the NAMES of the beers on tap is not a common occurrence? Lol, whatever. I'm not picky, I swear!
Anyways, I couldn't help but wonder how many BYC Hoosiers I missed meeting up with??? I kept my eye out, on every farm we passed, in hopes of catching a glimpse of a backyard coop. Next time, I'll send a shout out and maybe I can clean out a coop or two and see what country life is really all about.
(I used to run a horse barn...I do actually know what it's all about) it would have been nice to have met a couple.
I think I'm collecting BYC members...

So sorry. It is such a silent killer. ..and happens very quickly.
I don't let young ones out without starting them on a preventative treatment of Corid for a week before. .then they continue to get it after for another 2 wks while outside along with everyone else. I also have lost a few in the beginning as you an haven't since by doing this. I also don't do that before they are 5 wks. That's probably earlier than I actually do. Also best not to let it be this wet weather either. The dryer the better for the little ones. I lost a few 2 wks old when I had let them out on a beautiful warm summer day, only outside for a couple of hours. Just in a little circled off fenced area in grass almost as tall as them and they still got it! It's in the soil, if chickens are already on your property it's in their poo...you name it it's probably on it!

Just a reminder for all us folks with new babies and the temptation of those beautiful days ahead. Prepare them now so you don't lose them. The younger they are the harder & quicker it hits. It's a lot easier to prevent than treat.

Im in indy. I think for the more basic stuff I'd be ok putting it together with my friend. Anything very complicated I'd need help lol. Plans though I need. Something big enough for 12+ birds, no run and an egg box that is easy to build and preferably with a floor about 36 inches off the ground. I could put in a couple of little windows using hardware fabric and make some little shutters for them for when it's super cold or rainy. If you were looking at the coop from the long side, I'd want the egg box on the right, double doors in the middle for cleaning (no pull out thingy I just rake all the stuff out into a tote, so I'd need the floor level with the opening) and the ramp on the left side, but sticking out toward where you are standing if you are standing looking at the long side if that makes sense. Sort of like a reverse 7.
LonelyPageTurne ~ I don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but there's no such thing as building a cheap coop! ---the same goes for building a coop for 12+ birds that wouldn't be too complicated for a non-carpenter to construct. I'm just being realistic because I've heard this type of remark from almost everyone who has built their own coop for the first time: "I had no idea that it would take so long and would cost as much as it did." SallyinIndiana mentioned the best solution, which is converting a shed. It would be much faster (those chicks you got today will grow quickly), and you'll be able to do the finishing/decorating details. It might be difficult to believe, but a shed/yard barn is often less expensive that purchasing all of the supplies and hiring help. Hardware cloth wire is difficult to work with, and is probably the most important feature. Anyway, "IMO" building a coop isn't for the inexperienced, especially when you are in a time crunch. Not to say that it's not worth it or that there aren't alternatives to building your own. I just want you to be aware that many people on BYC have been in the place where you are now and had unrealistic expectations about time/money/stress involved.

It's Done!!!!! All but outside corner trim, and inside perches and nesting boxes. Ok ok so it's not done but at least the siding is all done
smile.png

The trim around the windows was tricky but I figured it out, and it looks great.
raisinemright ~ Then there are people like you (and Cluck Acres, but not many!) who make building a coop look so fast and easy! You are pretty amazing! I'm sure you were born with a hammer in your hand. Did you have to sand all of the pallet boards so they're not all splintery? Sounds like your kids think it's their new playhouse.
Ol Grey Mare ~ (Disclaimer: My post is a little tongue and cheek
wink.png
) I've "heard" that some (not all) Ameraucana and Araucana enthusiasts/threads don't take kindly to EEs being confused with their "loosely termed" purebred birds. I'm "assuming" that "perhaps" this type of chatter about the superiority of both A breeds has influenced buyers to seek out the "real deal" instead of a mutt breed with a silly moniker.

atrueb00 ~ I was confused. I was thinking of you when I was responding to leslea who is a writer.
tongue.png
However, she might be a designer, too!
SallyinIndina ~ Glad to hear that you finally got your Blue Sumatras!
smile.png

Chick Crazed ~ You have a very nice set-up for your wonderfully chosen chickens. I think you may be too logical and in control to be a chicken person-- unlike the rest of us who are always pulling our feathers out trying to get housing made after impulsively getting chickens.
roll.png

Happy belated birthday to my oldest hen, Cubby, who turned 9 years old on Saturday!
big_smile.png
I totally forgot about it because of all the stuff I have going on, but I'm sure she doesn't mind. This girl arrived here as a day old chick. I can't believe she's still as active as she is--and that it's been 9 years since I got my first chickens!!
ep.gif

So I was thinking about the BYC article contest (which is here, for anyone that hasn't heard of it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/864291/byc-article-writing-contest-5-2014-write-win ) and was wondering what y'all thought of an article idea I had. I'm not sure it's really totally chicken related, although I'd focus on chickens in it, but I thought I might write a sort of beginner's guide to genetics? Of course, I'm not an expert by any means, but I feel like I might be able to translate some of the jargon into terms that are more easily understood. Does that seem like a useful idea to anyone, or should I try to think of something else?
Happy B-day Cubby! I hope all of my chickens live that long.
smile.png

Pipd ~ I remember reading your essay on Frou-Frou, which was wonderfully written. I support your effort to write a beginner's guide to genetics. Be sure to add lots of visual aids for people like me whose eyes start glazing over when reading technical information. We had a new member not too long ago who is a genetic scientist-- maybe even for chickens. It's one of those MANY posts that I should have made a note about.
he.gif

Kiniska ~ Adorable babies! Keep them away from me.
wink.png

lilmizcareall ~ So sorry to hear about your chickens!
hugs.gif

very tiny doe vet had to help, and tubed her, her legs are like rubber and not getting any better, she was born at 8 pm 4 7 2014

good sized buckling born at 7:45 pm he is cold so he got a sweater.
I'm exhausted going to bed this was the last for the year.

Quote:
lau.gif
If it works its all good! We always get "funny looks" as we are driving home. The really big one we got was ours at our other house in Anderson. When we built our new house/addition over here, we moved it over after we moved in here. It was hard to do! But wanted to have the storage space. We paid a lot for the kit, and built it on the intention of it being "portable" because we wanted more land, and Anderson won't let you keep poultry/livestock!
We have done so many of these it usually goes fast now. This next one has me concerned because the floor is collapsed. The walls etc are ok. Hoping it will hold up for the move. I am glad theres no floor tho, I really prefer deep litter in all my coops.
So - the coop did NOT get finished this weekend (grumble grumble). We did get the poop boards and roosts done, though, and since the nest boxes aren't even needed at this point I think I'll move the chicks out in the next day or two. I just need DH to install a barrier board a little ways into the coop to keep the bedding and such contained. The door swings inward (have regretted that call since the barn was built - but can't tell DH/FIL who built the barn that, lol) and I want to keep things contained so it doesn't start gumming up the door's ability to move. I think once that is done I'll get the chicks moved out. Once he's ready to be out there working again I'll just put them in the horse stall for the day. As soon as the coop is done it's time to tackle the run - that should be next weekends project and then we're good! Can't wait for everything to be finished.
It will be done before you know it. I know how you feel, I have several chicks that are getting ready to go out to the "growout coop". All my new layers are about 8 weeks. Porch is getting crowded! there's always something more I want to add, do or change. That's part of the fun tho!

Hey guys another question! Would any of you be willing to donate hatching eggs (especially colorful ones..dark, white, brown, cream, pink, green and blue as I think the kids would love that) to my son's school, as they do a project hatching chickens to learn. I'd love to be able to give them colorful eggs as I think they would love it and also it would keep them from using hatchery eggs. Everyone who wanted them could have the chicks from their eggs, and if a few people chipped in with some I'm sure I'd get enough without too big a burden on any one person. I could also pay for the eggs, though not a ton. And like I said, you can have your birds back, I think they only keep the chicks for a couple of days. Please consider it!

Hi I am Not sure where you are from but If you wanted to pick them up I would be happy to donate some eggs. How many do you need? I hope that my son is able to do something like that at his school someday that would be awesome. What Year of school are they doing that in? (my son is 5th grade)
My chickens give me blue, green,pink, orange, dark brown, light brown, crème, and sometimes speckled, large fowl eggs I also get little white eggs from the bantams. My Roo Is a Barred Rock. I am getting about 25 eggs a day so I have plenty. I live a little less than an hour north of Indy Near the Tippecanoe, Clinton county line not far from i65.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom