INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Janet's post above gave me an idea. Maybe during poultry fest we could have some people bring their homemade incubators (if not in use) and we could do an educational session on the basics of building your own. Does that sound interesting? I know I would definitely want to learn. I want to build a hatcher that is more stable than the styrobator I use.
think it sounds like a great idea, I would just play it safe. Not saying that I think anyone on here has a disease in their flock, but some diseases can be passed through eggs. So I imagine the incubator could be a source of "indirect source" or maybe even a vector (depending on how you look at). Could be wrong, but I would look into it for sure or have whoever is bringing there's sanitize it with oxine

More than eight! ;)

You guys left me out and Kab cut in line lol I was 6th. :)

Oops, sorry guys! I thought I'd gotten everyone! :oops:

To answer you both, no. Her last egg was last summer and she hasn't started laying yet this spring. But that's okay, because she's had 8 years of egg laying up to this point. :)

Well, in regards to the above post about my 9 year old Easter-egger, Cubby, guess who was checking out the nests today? :weee I guess she's just not ready to retire yet!

Quote: Very good point
thumbsup.gif
I do need to order some myself, will check out amazon. Keep forgetting!! My flock is a bigger risk too, since they free range all day, and eat a lot of really gross stuff
sickbyc.gif
I moved a stack of lumber and it was a free for all! Lifted the pallet and wow, they were all over that.
I want to do spring cleaning in the egg coop, and the new shed, do a good scrub down.
What we can figure, it was a kids playhouse, was full of toy pieces and some juiceboxes.
The property owner was very grateful to have all that cleaned up.One more shed to move, & he will rent the house next month.

Quote: Oh my! Goooooo Cubby! I saw my EE in a nestbox today too. She only lays a few dozen a year, but the chicks are so pretty!
She jumped out and left it eggless. Maybe tomorrow!

Last edited:
Hey does anyone around here have a sussex?

The orschlens in greenfield just got in some speckled pullet chicks today. I would call them though instead of showing up because they tend to sell out of the special breeds pretty fast. ( i was good this time and did not buy any today *sigh* I have to maintain because i have some hatching eggs coming in a few weeks)

I can't remember who wanted the broiler chicks, but the same place had a ton of cornish x's.

I have sent an email to mypetchicken after my cracked/fixed eggs. I am hoping it showed my disappointment. It still is irking me how a company like that would send out such bad looking eggs. I wouldnt have been so upset if the mail had broke the eggs. This was just rude business!

This is not rude business it is poor business.

I can't remember if I've ever introduced myself here, so I guess that means it's been long enough that I can get away with doing it again. ;-)

My name is Aaron, I live on the West side of Indy, just outside the loop on Rockville (that's US 36 to the rest of the state). I am brand-new to chicken ownership.

I've been planning to start a flock for about two years, since we bought our house. This place came with an old 12' x 12' garden shed in the back yard, and once I cleaned it out I realized it would make a fantastic coup. I'm almost done with the conversion, and I'm going to set up a small hoop-house style run. I wish I could just fence the yard and let the birds roam, but we have a lot of hawks and even some falcons around here. I've seen red-tails picking doves off our powerlines a lot of mornings, so it has to be full-time containment for us! I'll try to get some pics of the coup/run project up some time.

The only problem I'm having so far is finding chickens. Part of the reason for this is I'm being kind of particular - I really want Australorps. If it comes down to it, I'll get over myself and be content with RIRs or Orpingtons. The other bump in the road is that I really don't have time to raise chicks, so I'm looking to buy pullets. I don't mind if they're not laying age, but they need to be old enough that I can move them straight into the coup. I'm going to put a post in the buy/sell/trade area. So far I've had a really difficult time finding information about breeders in the area - I figure there have to be some around central Indiana, but they don't seem to be online.

I have really appreciated having this website as a resource; it's been tremendously helpful in planning and executing this project. I'm looking forward to being part of the community!
hoosiercheetah ~ Not sure if you want all Australorp pullets because of their eggs or what, but especially if you're a newbie, you might find it interesting to get one each of several breeds. I actually rehomed a BA roo today for one of our members, HouseKat. I knew someone who'd take him to live on a small farm since the roo is a pet, so I gave a roo a ride today!
tongue.png

leslea ~ Time is flying by and it sounds like you are getting things in order. I can't remember-- are your novels ebooks or hard copies or both?
jchny~ Love that "piggy-back" photo! So cute.
smile.png

Janet's post above gave me an idea. Maybe during poultry fest we could have some people bring their homemade incubators (if not in use) and we could do an educational session on the basics of building your own. Does that sound interesting? I know I would definitely want to learn. I want to build a hatcher that is more stable than the styrobator I use.
racin~ I thought you had one of those huge, fancy incubators.
hu.gif

Bruce ~ They must be Black Jersey Giants then. lol
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom