INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

We are starting on our second breeding pen / grow out pen. We have changed the size a bit so this 2nd one is a bit larger than the first. They won't line up as nice but the extra space is what I wanted. The best part is that so far only about 5 things have been dropped on either DH or mine's feet. Some how if something falls it lands on a big toe for one of us. Wish I could say it was our toddlers dropping everything but so far they haven't dropped a single thing. Just me and DH.

And I still have 3 EE roosters that we will not have time to process this weekend. Anyone want or need a free rooster? I'm asking $5 on CL but not here. They are not really at a good size for eating but I won't stop anyone that wants them.

Anyone else out there in Historic Irvington in Indianapolis? If so, do you know if there are any regulations by the Historical society regarding chicken coops? I keep forgetting to call and of course when I think about it is a holiday! I just know they are picky about so my things that I am fearful that after our coop is built they will have a fit over something about it, but I cannot find ANYTHING online specific to coops. So if there are any Irvingtonians out there that can help I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Anyone else out there in Historic Irvington in Indianapolis?  If so, do you know if there are any regulations by the Historical society regarding chicken coops?  I keep forgetting to call and of course when I think about it is a holiday! I just know they are picky about so my things that I am fearful that after our coop is built they will have a fit over something about it, but I cannot find ANYTHING online specific to coops. So if there are any Irvingtonians out there that can help I'd appreciate it!  Thanks!

@lilmizscareall do you know? I thought you lived there but could be way off

Anyone else out there in Historic Irvington in Indianapolis? If so, do you know if there are any regulations by the Historical society regarding chicken coops? I keep forgetting to call and of course when I think about it is a holiday! I just know they are picky about so my things that I am fearful that after our coop is built they will have a fit over something about it, but I cannot find ANYTHING online specific to coops. So if there are any Irvingtonians out there that can help I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

What could be more historic than a chicken coop???

I'm guessing your painting color selections might be limited. I'm thinking you should avoid anything that looks more modern or funny like a giant egg shaped coop with bright orange legs sticking out. I would not paint any sports teams logos or famous phrases on your coop either. I would follow the intent of the rules about your house, might even paint the coop to match the house.

What could be more historic than a chicken coop???
I wish it was that easy! But here is the thing. We are looking at using a little tykes playhouse as an interim coop while dh and ds build the big coop, or building a small coop on the back porch. The big coop won't be done til the end of the summer into the fall, so in the meantime we need something fast (they are 4 weeks old and love being in the run and I am beginning to panic! We go out of town in 2 weeks and they need the coop by then). I wish we had a few hundred dollars to go buy a coop but we don't (3 major car repairs in less than a month) so now we are scrambling.

We cannot even plant a tree with out permission from the historical society. Build sheds, putting in a fence, all have to be approved but I can find NOTHING online for Chicken coops! I will have to call tomorrow.

I'm guessing your painting color selections might be limited. I'm thinking you should avoid anything that looks more modern or funny like a giant egg shaped coop with bright orange legs sticking out. I would not paint any sports teams logos or famous phrases on your coop either. I would follow the intent of the rules about your house, might even paint the coop to match the house.
So I guess that means a TARDIS coop is out!

Quote:
Now you understand.

Since the playhouse is going to be temporary, I would wait and ask for forgiveness. Just ask about your final coop. Also once the shed style coop gets walls and a roof, little ones can be moved in even before roosting bars or nesting boxes are made. They do need venting even at night but a temporary nesting box can be a cardboard box.

goodb~ Enjoyed your videos! Very sweet chicks and good mom!
big_smile.png
That's interesting that yours were pecking their mom's eyes, too. Bonbon still makes the monotone Cluck Cluck sounds and then the excited higher pitched, faster sounds to signify good eats. It's so cute when the mom shows things to the babies-- except when Bonbon showed the babies how to eat my flowers (impatients) the other day.
roll.png

After Bonbon hatched her chicks, I'd offer to let her out the bantam coop a few times a day. She'd take short breaks while the chicks chanted "MOM!" in unison. Toward the end of the first week, she acted like she wanted the chicks to go out with her, but I discouraged it because I felt like it was too dangerous to let the tiny chicks out with the other chickens around -- I was being overprotective. Then by the end of the first week, the chicks could fly up to the coop opening and could fly down to the ground (6-8") so I let them go out while I supervised. I was so surprised at how well they adapted to the terrain and integrated with the big chickens. It was 10 days after they hatched when I let them out each morning like the others and let them all free-range in the fence-in backyard until bedtime. (Sometimes I'd see a nosey chicken in the bantam coop checking it out, but I just let them since it was empty). They're two and a half weeks old now and they think they are as big as the hens!

So that's been my experience. I'm not sure if your brooder is inside a secured barn and if they're let loose, they'd have a safe place to roam. I'd just supervise some outings before you decide that they'll be fine. We have a lot of bushes and places to duck into in case of a flying predator.
My brooder is in the coop. It's not secured but it's inside the fence. I think I'll got out in the morning and let her out for a few minutes as she acts like she wants to. The chicks are running around on the deep litter and doing very well. They are scratching and acting like big chickens until someone comes around then momma is always to far away... They are soooooo cute and I'm glad I don't have to take care of them beyond food and water! On a side note, the second broody is on day 10 and holding on strong. I'm going to candle again tonight. She (New Hampshire Red) is a bit more defensive than the EE momma.

Thank you again for the discussions and continued blessings to you.

Back
Top Bottom