INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Can't remember if I've posted a picture Id my mottled orp girl. I'm really loving the color and breed! The other chickens in the picture are ones I was given for a coworker when she moved into town. No idea what breed they are.

Last edited:
I'm going to attempt to make a small batch of soap. I'll keep you all updated. For now I'm using cows milk but soon enough I'll have goat's milk.
So I took my time measuring and weighing the ingredients. Then I slowly added the lye to the very cold milk. So far so good. I melted and heated the oils. Again so far so good. Then mixing. It took quite a bit of time to come to a barely visible trace. I was fine with that. But where I had the most trouble was pouring the soap into the molds. I think next time I will use a small measuring cup to fill the molds much like I would if I was making muffins. Currently the soap is hardening in the molds on the kitchen table. The next update will be tomorrow at the soonest.

Sally, I really want to learn how to make soap! Are you doing this on your stovetop?
What type of pot are you using?
I'm guessing that pot is dedicated to the soap making?
Where did you purchase your supplies?
How long does it take from start to finish?

Thanks!
Diana
Zionsville

So I took my time measuring and weighing the ingredients.  Then I slowly added the lye to the very cold milk.  So far so good.  I melted and heated the oils.  Again so far so good.  Then mixing.  It took quite a bit of time to come to a barely visible trace.  I was fine with that.  But where I had the most trouble was pouring the soap into the molds.  I think next time I will use a small measuring cup to fill the molds much like I would if I was making muffins.  Currently the soap is hardening in the molds on the kitchen table.  The next update will be tomorrow at the soonest. 

from AVOCA, INDIANA (10 min N of Bedford 20 min S of Bloomington)

In search of local breeders or just chicken owners willing to part with some baby chicks in the next few weeks. Looking for the following Breeds

DORKING----PLYMOUTH ROCK---- SEX LINKS----DOMINIQUE----FAVORELLO----FRIZZLE-----SIZZLE----SILKIE------BUFF ORINGTON

Please PM me if you're close and have any of these breeds!!!!!

THANK YOU
KRISTI

Sally, I really want to learn how to make soap! Are you doing this on your stovetop?
What type of pot are you using?
I'm guessing that pot is dedicated to the soap making?
Where did you purchase your supplies?
How long does it take from start to finish?

Thanks!
Diana
Zionsville
Quote: The process is explained in the video trying to sell you a soap kit. I did not buy the kit but the video is a great how to.
http://www.essentialdepot.com/

I used glass bowls. They washed up fine. Amazon has the lye. Sams has the basic oils ~ olive, coconut, and shortening. It is recommended to spend at least 30 minutes slowly adding the lye to the liquid then it took about another 30 minutes of mixing and poring into the molds. Then maybe 30 minutes of cleaning the supplies before washing them all by themselves in the dishwaasher.

Currently the soap is hardening in the molds. I might have used too much olive oil as the soap is looking pretty soft. Here is a site that can help you decide on which oils to use. they have lots of information about the oils.
https://www.thesage.com/calcs/LyeCalc.html

Last edited:
from AVOCA, INDIANA (10 min N of Bedford 20 min S of Bloomington)

In search of local breeders or just chicken owners willing to part with some baby chicks in the next few weeks. Looking for the following Breeds

DORKING----PLYMOUTH ROCK---- SEX LINKS----DOMINIQUE----FAVORELLO----FRIZZLE SIZZLE----SILKIE BUFF ORINGTON

Please PM me if you're close and have any of these breeds!!!!!

THANK YOU
KRISTI

Sent you a pm. I have a couple white and black silkies and black sex links. I am setting every Friday now so I could be getting other kinds as well. Right now I have Silver laced wyandotts and white leg horns in the bator, along with any eggs my silkie lays.

Back
Top Bottom