INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

CHICK SHIPPING QUESTION:

For those of you who have shipped chicks to others, what is the MINIMUM number of chicks that can safely be put in a standard box (that holds up to 25, but I'd never put that many in there). We've had 10 shipped TO us in one of these, with some "hay bricks" glued to one or more sides to take up space and provide insulation. I just wonder what the fewest number that one can safely ship is. Five, six, eight?

Thanks to all.

Does anyone here breed or know of someone that breeds Black Bantam Cochins? Or have a Rooster? I have 3 Black Bantam Cochin ladies that I would like to get a Rooster for...or add some more ladies to. Just thought I would check here. I would rather get something local or nearby so I thought this would be a good place to start. I wouldn't mind some Frizzles either! I found a pair of white Silkies...but I just really like the Cochins! This below is Big Mama...I also have her two daughters! I haven't had them for very long, but they are just the cutest little things!
I have a cockerel he is supper sweet two. Picked him up and a few extras at the ohio nationals in the fall. Message me and I can send picks if you'd like:).

CHICK SHIPPING QUESTION:

For those of you who have shipped chicks to others, what is the MINIMUM number of chicks that can safely be put in a standard box (that holds up to 25, but I'd never put that many in there). We've had 10 shipped TO us in one of these, with some "hay bricks" glued to one or more sides to take up space and provide insulation. I just wonder what the fewest number that one can safely ship is. Five, six, eight?

Thanks to all.

They sell heat packs somewhere. I paid extra for them with my last chick order from ideal. With the heat pack and a small enough but also vented box, maybe get away with 3 chicks. The hard part is getting all of the eggs to hatch within 2 - 3 hours of each other and at the correct time for shipping. you really don't want the chicks hatching right as the PO closes. Then again you don't want to open an incubator with eggs that are still zipping out to grab the chicks to ship out either.
Many breeders use express shipping because of the timing issues. And if you are shipping express there is more time for the chicks to get some feathers in before the box would be too small for 3-10 chicks. Still depending on weather a heat pack might be needed and grogel would be desirable for older chicks being expressed mailed.
Hope that helps.
I have not come across any accumulation of chicken laws by state or city or county.

I got my most recent purdue testing results today. All eggs tested negative for Avian influenza virus, mg, and Salmonella pullorum / gallinarum.

Last edited:
Does anyone here breed or know of someone that breeds Black Bantam Cochins? Or have a Rooster?

I have 3 Black Bantam Cochin ladies that I would like to get a Rooster for...or add some more ladies to. Just thought I would check here. I would rather get something local or nearby so I thought this would be a good place to start.

I wouldn't mind some Frizzles either!

I found a pair of white Silkies...but I just really like the Cochins! This below is Big Mama...I also have her two daughters! I haven't had them for very long, but they are just the cutest little things!

Adorable face!

Oh, I thought I would share my chicken page I just finished...since I am new to the Indiana thread!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-always-expanding-flock
Ohh, and welcome to our thread too
frow.gif

The T-shirts for the 2015 chicken fest should be going on sale soon, within the next week or 2. More information to come soon as well.
front

Up next is what other item would you like to see this year? A long sleeve shirt, a hoodie, a tote bag, now is the time to provide input as it looks like there might be 2 items for sale this year in support of the 2015 chicken fest.
If I picked 1 additional item, it would be a long T shirt.
I like totes and hoodies too! But that would be worn more often here.
I love the bantam cochins as well! Can't wait for them to start laying this year! I have lavender barred, buff barred, and partridge.

My most recent hatch of buff barreds. 3 are frizzled!
They are really adorable, look super tiny too.

For heat packs, I've found that Pangea Reptiles has the best price when just buying a couple (if you are looking for wholesale qty then I'd look for a wholesaler to get best price). The website is www.pangeareptile.com. I've bought both supplies and live reptiles from him and always a great experience.

ATTENTION:​

It's me once again, with a reminder about Chickenfest 2015. I am still polling for the best possible date for everyone to be able to attend. The deadline for this polling is Feb. 28th. So get your pm's to me (barb s) with your prefered date. Once the deadline has passed I will be posting the event date.

For those of you who do not know what Chickenfest is. It is a meet and greet of people from all over the state of Indiana and a few other states as well. You get to meet a lot of super people with a lot of knowledge about raising chickens, as well as all other types of fowl, livestock and just about anything else you might want to learn about. We are planning on have some demonstrations this year on FF, raising meal worms, and possible a few other demos as well. And I have a few things planned that I won't be letting out of the bag just yet. Oh and there will be lots of really yummy food.

So send me your pm's and plan on attending this fun event.
@barb s thanks for donating your time to make this happen!

Whopper of an egg today by a blue Marans hen! I haven't weighed it yet but geez!! I also had an extra dark egg today smaller than my big girls lay but where my blue pullet has been laying but her first few were very speckled. Hmmm

Wow, triple yolker maybe?!? Beautiful egg basket
droolin.gif

Close up! Lol

That looks like an egg inside an egg, very cool when you open it. I get some from production hens and my embden geese. Note the "seam" about 3rd of the way down, like in your egg pictured. My largest to date was 6.76 oz goose egg (Embden hen) and it had 3 yolks! Left to right is a regular chicken egg, scovy egg, pekin egg, normal goose egg and the big 3 yolker. Yes, she was a new layer and very young.

Quote: WOW!

@barb s thanks for donating your time to make this happen! Wow, triple yolker maybe?!? Beautiful egg basket :drool That looks like an egg inside an egg, very cool when you open it. I get some from production hens and my embden geese. Note the "seam" about 3rd of the way down, like in your egg pictured. My largest to date was 6.76 oz goose egg (Embden hen) and it had 3 yolks! Left to right is a regular chicken egg, scovy egg, pekin egg, normal goose egg and the big 3 yolker. Yes, she was a new layer and very young. WOW!
Thanks! I haven't cracked it yet. Prob will feed my son and I for breakfast Thurs morn. I'll certainly share the contents. That hen has always laid huge eggs but I have never had double yolkers or egg inside an egg. Nothing strange really other than a few "water balloon" shells from some young layers last year. My DH said he had a double yolker but just one from a BCM egg.

The T-shirts for the 2015 chicken fest should be going on sale soon, within the next week or 2. More information to come soon as well.
front
Up next is what other item would you like to see this year? A long sleeve shirt, a hoodie, a tote bag, now is the time to provide input as it looks like there might be 2 items for sale this year in support of the 2015 chicken fest.
I'd be more likely to order a long sleeve or hoodie. I have TONS of totes, my SIL sells 31 ;)
Close up! Lol
I NEED some of your marans eggs ;-P the 4 girls I got from you (my broody hatched) haven't started laying yet but hopefully soon!

Back
Top Bottom