INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

check out the article that I wrote for byc about red golden pheasants....byc is expanding their learning center...im so thankful for the opportunity to do this article...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-golden-pheasant-pic-heavy-with-mutation-pics
it took so long to do but well worth it hope everyone likes the info and the pics
they will be moving the article when the pheasants/chuckars page get created but you can view it here for right now...but will more then likely be moved tomorrow...

I promised @ellymayRans these a while ago. The baby is finally taking a good nap so I ran outside for a minute. Not the greatest but phone is all I've got.

Here's eggs from yesterday and today. The blue one is one of my CCLs I think. The olive ones are accidentally from my flock last year.
9779e907ef7678d83fb40a215b4b23b1.jpg

Here's the pretty blue I got from my broody hatch.
b9743e0bd47350a10376d8e7f0ca4f90.jpg

This girl that's much smaller than the others. Could she be a banty cross?
c34d0a00b0e3d254362cc7c476f2ba1a.jpg

The roo I decided to keep.
8c95dfee5bb25a29641a2b537e601a70.jpg

Then there's these.
325452576d56046be9941cbdfc7fb2a5.jpg

03041089fd59da3ec30f9dcfcb0b0521.jpg

The one looks kind of rooish now that I look at them but I've never heard it crow or seen it jump one of the other girls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And just because here's one of my "accidental" olive egger. I think she's a cross between one of my EEs and the ISA roo I had last year.

eb0df9ef567529c7138e8cedd70c31e6.jpg

Does anyone have experience in sexing peafowl? This white peacock (or maybe hen) is over a year old and hangs out with our silkies. It is the strangest thing. There are other peacocks on the farm, but she doesn't seem to want anything to do with them. The silkies have adopted her and they sleep in the traditional silkie pile every night. Since she has been with them the past few months I thought it would be good to give him/her a name but would like to know his/her sex first.

@bradselig , your chicks are all grown up! I heard one crow for the first time this morning.
big_smile.png
We have 4 cockerels and decided to keep the splash and buff/mix color ones. There's a black and a splash with red leakage that will be re-homed.

Does anyone have experience in sexing peafowl? This white peacock (or maybe hen) is over a year old and hangs out with our silkies. It is the strangest thing. There are other peacocks on the farm, but she doesn't seem to want anything to do with them. The silkies have adopted her and they sleep in the traditional silkie pile every night. Since she has been with them the past few months I thought it would be good to give him/her a name but would like to know his/her sex first.

@bradselig , your chicks are all grown up! I heard one crow for the first time this morning.
big_smile.png
We have 4 cockerels and decided to keep the splash and buff/mix color ones. There's a black and a splash with red leakage that will be re-homed.

my guess is a hen...but here is a place where a lot of experienced peafowl breeders are they will have the answer
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/670065/show-off-your-peas/7160#post_14722346

Does anyone have experience in sexing peafowl? This white peacock (or maybe hen) is over a year old and hangs out with our silkies. It is the strangest thing. There are other peacocks on the farm, but she doesn't seem to want anything to do with them. The silkies have adopted her and they sleep in the traditional silkie pile every night. Since she has been with them the past few months I thought it would be good to give him/her a name but would like to know his/her sex first. @bradselig , your chicks are all grown up! I heard one crow for the first time this morning. :D We have 4 cockerels and decided to keep the splash and buff/mix color ones. There's a black and a splash with red leakage that will be re-homed.
I would say hen if it's a year old but doesn't look white to me. Looks more Cameo

I promised @ellymayRans these a while ago. The baby is finally taking a good nap so I ran outside for a minute. Not the greatest but phone is all I've got.

Here's eggs from yesterday and today. The blue one is one of my CCLs I think. The olive ones are accidentally from my flock last year.
9779e907ef7678d83fb40a215b4b23b1.jpg

Here's the pretty blue I got from my broody hatch.
b9743e0bd47350a10376d8e7f0ca4f90.jpg

This girl that's much smaller than the others. Could she be a banty cross?
c34d0a00b0e3d254362cc7c476f2ba1a.jpg

The roo I decided to keep.
8c95dfee5bb25a29641a2b537e601a70.jpg

Then there's these.
325452576d56046be9941cbdfc7fb2a5.jpg

03041089fd59da3ec30f9dcfcb0b0521.jpg

The one looks kind of rooish now that I look at them but I've never heard it crow or seen it jump one of the other girls?

Your blue looks just like her momma. The small one is stumping me but could be from our bantam Cochin but he's the only bantam I would have had besides a silkie. The two with muffs and pea comb would be from the Black AM roo. The second of those two definitely looks roo to me. The roo you noted keeping doesn't look like any of my BCM. I say that because he has no shank feathers and way too much leakage in the breast. I know it was a gamble when you wanted them because no one was separated really. I'm betting that roo is RIR/BCM. But he is pretty and looks big. My RIRs have been big nice Roos. Anxious to see your blues egg and your Olive Eggers egg. Nice though looks like you have a pair there. You'll definitely want to hit me up this spring for pure BCMs.

Anybody up NE know of farm stores with chicks yet?

The Fort Wayne Rural King has chicks. Cornish cross straight run and sexed pullet Easter-eggers (labeled as Araucanas), production reds (labeled as Rhode Island reds), and Silver laced Wyandottes (labeled as black laced Wyandottes). Yeah, they need to get their signs in order. :rolleyes:

Ugh I see a lotta shoveling, be careful and safe.
That's an understatement! And we got a few more inches today, too. Ugh! :barnie I ought to get the camera out again. The path I shoveled through the chicken yard is almost comical with as much snow as is piled straight up on both sides!
Does anyone here breed or know of someone that breeds Black Bantam Cochins? Or have a Rooster? [snip]
:love I just love bantam Cochins! Good luck with your search!
I love the bantam cochins as well! Can't wait for them to start laying this year! I have lavender barred, buff barred, and partridge.
:love
now it brain picking time. Was given these 5 hens over the weekend by a man that was getting out of chickens. He didnt know what he had, He said they were chickens what else do you need to know???? Sooo I am thinking Leghorns, but the comb aint big enough and they are round and short tails, well the ones that have tails, they arent in the best shape but I'm working on it. They are supper sweet, they started following me around the 1st day. and today I was on my hands and knees cleaning out the old bedding and replacing it when 2 of them jumped on my back and stayed there the whole time I was working. I'm falling hard for these girls. This last girl is always puffed up like she is cold but don't show ant signs of being sick. ?? Any op's on what breed they might be would be great. Not that it matters I just like to know what I got. and yes I know I just said above that I am TRYING to not get any more critters, but I couldn't see these girls get their heads pulled off cause no one would take them.
I have done all that, I started that practice after loosing my whole flock from an illness brought in from some other birds. they are in their own yard away from my other birds, I will keep them there for at least a month, maybe more, depending on how well they do at that point. I was wondering about CX but I thought they would be bigger if that was the case. But I don't really know allot about CX. I don't know of many white feathered birds, So kinda limited on my guesses... lol I am also thinking that they are young. Maybe close to laying but not yet. they aren't doing the squat thing yet but at least 3 of them have good red combs, not expecting anything egg wise out of them yet with the change in living environment and all anyway. Just cant get over how friendly they are already.
I'm thinking based on their appearance and your description of their personalities that they are White Plymouth Rocks. They sound sweet! :)

Back
Top Bottom