INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Question for everyone. I've got another voulenteer momma hen and eggs in the bator that have two different hatch dates. Would you give the newest broody the eggs that are the farthest behind?

I'd giver her the ones closest to hatch unless they were already in lockdown. Then you still have eggs if another goes broody and you might luck out not needing a hatcher or broody box. Then again if you prefer to raise the chicks yourself, using the ones closest to hatching helps end the broody hen stage that much sooner. Its also less stress on the hen as they tend to lose a bit of weight while sitting.

For the people who have never seen a baby quail in person I think this picture helps understand the size difference. Quail next to a bantam cochin. Both are same age!

As a grown man, I must admit I can't get enough of this cuteness! It was a poor hatch but I got 2 blue scale quail out of it. Hopefully the next hatch will go better!

Goodness they are precious! I thought my quail had quit laying and was about to wipe the flock. Discovered I have some chickens dining on eggs on the roll out tray when I open the shed during the day
somad.gif
So I have to relocate the breeder pen!

Quote: If you don't mind the outcome of the birds they can come here. I have a friend that adores ducks, and those that she won't take I can try to rehome. If I can't they can stay til winter. When winter hits they will likely go to freezer camp if not rehomed.
LOL I have a broody pekin
ep.gif
! Never thought I would see it. First time I have ever been bit by a pekin duck
lau.gif
But wait, there's more... she is using the outdoor nest boxes, they are the old style 10 hole galvanized boxes that hang off a wall. My geese was sticking their heads in trying to get in there with her, toooo funny!

Quote: They have exceptional turkeys. My Bourbons are porters stock, and the Tom is huge, at least 30 pounds. Some of us try to get together on an order every year, they offer 10% off the order off season.

I'm glad to see there are many of you that feed your chicks/chickens cooked eggs. I've not found many other that do that. Our chickens are jumping around and making lots of noise when they see us coming with the pot of eggs.
We think the finely mashed eggs (along with the higher protein feed) fed to our turkey poults were the key to their good health and growth last year. Now that they are adults they don't like them or any kitchen or garden scraps for that matter.

Our chickens also get a lot of milk, whey and my failed attempts at cheese. We really do notice a difference in the meat with the milk fed chickens. I'm not milking now and I'm sure they miss it.
Nothing gets wasted here. I like really fresh eggs, so if they are past a few weeks or so, and I get backlogged and out of room, my chickens and hogs get them. I do sell eggs, but don't openly sell. Only to neighbors and family mostly. I cook and mash up the eggs for the chickens, but the hogs get "eggcicles" slightly frozen eggs in summer, or cooked eggs in the winter. I start my piglets on goats milk in the food when they are weaned, and it really boosts them.Of course the chickens are right in there sharing a few bites too.

Quote: I got my turkeys and they all look great. There was even a breed list in the package for the assorted poults. And they packed up 2 extra assorted poults too. Its great. I don't know for sure that there will be a turkey shortage in our area but if there is I'll have turkey meat priced at a bit above cost. The price I'm sure will seem very very high to the average grocery store turkey buyer but the stores use turkeys to draw people in. I have to think if there is a shortage the stores will use something else.

Plus I get to see a wonderful selection grow up.
I will have to try a group, BB turkeys just seem to get too food aggressive. These BBB are not as bad as the whites were. Now to convince DH we don't need 50 pound turkeys for thanksgiving
roll.png

We had some issues with trying to get use to our bator before now we had got one of 12. So we put 9 more in one was a dud and the other look good. So day 20 here's number 2 and 3 has got a good hole going.so far these are ISA/white leghorns we are enjoying our mix breeding. We also been breeding just ISA to
Congrats! I had the foam bators one season, and its a lot of learning for sure. We feed our family from our poultry, waterfowl (and hogs), so we decided to go with a sportsman cabinet last year. Foam bators do well if you don't plan a lot of continual hatches, but not so well with harder species like muscovy.

Question for everyone. I've got another voulenteer momma hen and eggs in the bator that have two different hatch dates. Would you give the newest broody the eggs that are the farthest behind?
If they aren't expensive eggs, go with the newest ones. I usually only use broodies for personal misc flock hatches, not a new breed, or something special. They do turn up with a lot of random mix chicks too

Last edited:
Let our barnyard mix chicks out of the grow out pen to freerange today!!! They are liking the fresh grass and freedom. None of them have ventured out to far lol

Back
Top Bottom