INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

After reading this last days worth of post I think I should switch jops lol... Farm sitting seems to pay waaaaaayyyy more then my crummy job... If y'all really pay that much I might even do it cheaper

hahahahah.... yes. I think I could make a wonderful week of work doing animal chores without the stress of the regular work day.

I wonder if there's a market for it? I guess one could advertise in the local farm papers.

Oh, thank you for that advice, wouldn't want to make that mistake, definitely! Well, the coop itself has enough room for several chickens, the run is a little small though. Hmm, will definitely have to think about that then, I'm sure we could fix the run to make it big enough for a couple of hens. I'll have to check with my in laws and see if they really want eggs or not. Would 2 hens be enough?

Having 1 rooster and 1 hen is not really a great plan. 1 rooster will over mate his 1 and only hen to the point she has no feathers on her back. Then winter will come and the hen may or not make it. Very traumatic for a child, more so for a romantic child. Maybe you could find a few hens for your rooster but the cheapest way to get him friends would be to get him a couple other roosters. We have a rooster pen and for the most part they all get along.

SURVEY.... Need advice!

What do you all think is a reasonable pay for someone taking care of your chickens while you're gone?

Specifically, this is an adult. He will have to drive over 2x a day. Morning: Put out feed and be sure water is fresh. Evening: Be sure everyone is in and doors closed. Gather eggs. Put feed out if needed.

Would you pay by the day?
Would you pay by the "job" (as in a flat price for a week or weekend?)
HOW MUCH????

caf.gif
With a small flock and no other livestock, I would figure in gas expense for travel and maybe 2 hours total of time daily for the care. If that person is within a few miles, maybe $7-10 at most a day, or as others have mentioned offer to return the favor.

I have a turkey poult..roughly 4 mos old and I've seen it just laying around so I gathered it up and put it in the hospital pen. I put corid in the water as it seems to have started the last rain we got. First time turkey owner. Not sure what to think. I did see it poo just before I took it in. Was very slimey greenish in color where normally it would be white. Granted all they want to do is eat grass when free ranging but everyone else has nice solid poo. ??
I second the comment on protein, and some vitamin/electrolytes. The poult is past the weak stage but all the dampness isn't good on any of the poultry.

Looking for a pullet in the Indianapolis/Noblesville area, any breed. We just sent our rooster to my father in law's farm and we don't want him to be lonely, lol.
Hi! You may want to add at least 2 pullets. 1 rooster is really rough on a single hen. I will look at my flocks and see if I have any.

More news to ponder on from the mini farm:

Saturday, while I was checking my one and only surviving zucchini plant, the mole on my shoulder felt Vermithrax Pejorative (BBB hen) was giving it a look of supreme imperious disgust (which only turkeys can properly give, but which, however, they cannot help but give) and thusly also felt the need to imply it knew where and with whom she will spend Christmas. Her honor and good intentions called into question, she furiously pecked it.

That night, my darling daughter thought she saw a "bug" on my shoulder, and, after much questioning and various medical ministrations by my darling husband, we have discovered that the question of this "bug" has two possible answers:

1) The mole, having been injured by Vermithrax, has now donned a large black and purple Puffalump costume in the hopes that she doesn't recognize it the next time she passes my crouched form.

2) The mole had already gone rogue melanoma, and Vermithrax was just letting me know what a dangerous blight it was on my person (and that it had grievously insulted her honor and good intentions).

After checking the state of this "mole" (if it is still a mole and neither Puffalump nor melanoma), I have discovered a somewhat lessened state of fluff in the costume, though it is still quite dark, large and quite different of appearance than it was a week ago. Only time (and, if time should prove uncooperative, a biopsy) will tell.
Turkeys are smarter than we think and do notice things that "shouldn't be". You should really get it checked just to be safe
hugs.gif

Quote: Glad you have reposted this. Anyone that plans to sell chicks, keeps/sells any livestock really needs to take time and look this over. I keep spreadsheets on everything already, but it looks like I need herd numbers for my goats and hogs now. My personal opinion on ear tags, don't! Tattooing is safer, less stress and risk on the animal. Tags can get caught on things and damage ears. They also provide a host for secondary infections.

Quote: I have to agree, possibly even contact 4H or scout leaders. There is gobs of badges boy and girl scouts could work on and help you at the same time. I spent less time with 4H but seems there are some projects that would apply as well.

Quote: Marans are normally very sweet. IF you can find a a couple maran pullets, that would be awesome, they are good layers and will raise chicks on their own. The bonus is dark brown chocolate colored eggs, children love the color.

Quote:
Having 1 rooster and 1 hen is not really a great plan. 1 rooster will over mate his 1 and only hen to the point she has no feathers on her back. Then winter will come and the hen may or not make it. Very traumatic for a child, more so for a romantic child. Maybe you could find a few hens for your rooster but the cheapest way to get him friends would be to get him a couple other roosters. We have a rooster pen and for the most part they all get along.
Very good point too. There are always plenty of unwanted roosters out there and available for adoption.

Oh, thank you for that advice, wouldn't want to make that mistake, definitely! Well, the coop itself has enough room for several chickens, the run is a little small though. Hmm, will definitely have to think about that then, I'm sure we could fix the run to make it big enough for a couple of hens. I'll have to check with my in laws and see if they really want eggs or not. Would 2 hens be enough?

Quote: 2 may be ok if they have places to roost away from him if he is being too pushy. I keep trios of breeds, and just make sure they have plenty of room. A good rooster treats his hens well.

Wanna make a business out of it? Farm sitters? Anywhere in Indiana and the surrounding states? I'm down for it
LOL, I would for sure, but can't leave my parents home alone. It would be a really fun job!

[COLOR=B22222]Anyone else want to weigh in on this?  I need your experience ---  or even just what you think is a good price even if you haven't hired someone.[/COLOR]

The end of this month I will be taking a sshort vacation! (Can't wait! Really need to get away for a few days!).Of course I have many more chickens than you and 3 dogs and a cat. I'm paying my brother $100 to tmstay at my house and Care for all thchickenss, cat, and dogs. Honestly in your case I'm thinking the $25-$30 range is enough depending on how far awaythey live and have to travel. Let them keep any eggs they collect as well

Back
Top Bottom