INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Anyone have hatch a chick with bumps like this?

4efbedf66203894b98e6749c4b37dd07.jpg

5c997fb481dc004081f045cdb3521f8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Odd, no I haven't. Have hatched more than I care to admit
hide.gif
Is this a broody hatch or incubated? I would love to see another once baby is dry.

Quote: It's broody hatched

Look the hen over carefully, be sure she hasn't picked up lice or mites. Its more common on broody girls since they stay on the nest and don't preen and dust bathe as often. Its no different than a dog getting fleas. Some clues will be whitish clumps on the feather shafts especially close to the body. The tines of the feathers may look stripped or transparent. Sevin dust, the garden variety is helpful in stopping them, and is safe for just about every living thing aside from insects! Post a picture if you can when your chick is dry. I have not had to treat newborn chicks so I hope someone with experience can help. I have seen this in adult birds thats came here, and think it may be whats happened.

Look the hen over carefully, be sure she hasn't picked up lice or mites. Its more common on broody girls since they stay on the nest and don't preen and dust bathe as often. Its no different than a dog getting fleas. Some clues will be whitish clumps on the feather shafts especially close to the body. The tines of the feathers may look stripped or transparent. Sevin dust, the garden variety is helpful in stopping them, and is safe for just about every living thing aside from insects! Post a picture if you can when your chick is dry. I have not had to treat newborn chicks so I hope someone with experience can help. I have seen this in adult birds thats came here, and think it may be whats happened.

Thats what it looks like to me as well. I keep seven dust in the nest of my broodies b/c they don't dust bathe much, i clean the nest out fter each hatch to bear wood and put in fresh bedding while mom and kids are out free ranging. once the chicks are almost on there own I once again clean down to bear wood then sprinkle in the 7 dust then my bedding. I have had to do this 3 times for my silkies... lol ( each nope sorry the blk hen only 2 times ) but it is worth the effort I think.

speaking of which been meaning to ask ya'll, next hatching season I am thinking or putting a sm. pan of DE in my house brooder for the chicks I incubate, If I do any next year. Since it is all natural it would be ok for the chicks would it.???

Started consolidating some of my pens for winter yesterday, taking down a few fences putting up a few others, moving the birds and all that fun stuff. Had to do some cutting of the wings on some of the older pullets due to them flying over 7' fences to get back to their old home....I was gathering birds and clipping wings till 11 pm last night. and here i sit at 3 am on the computer... lol

So far I have lost 2 babies to Toxicity and 1 is under treatment still, and not looking good. I don't know how it got to my heard. I kept the sick kid up where the goats are never at. Not even for a second did any of mine come into contact with the sick kid or where she was at.

I am selling my billy and banding the buckling I left. I have laid down the law, no more goats period. Whoever survives this will be it. no more breading ( I already have does due in Dec. ) and no more milk for me.

Have any of you ever seen a solid ( so far ) black EE ??? I hatched one out in the incubator a few weeks ago and so far all black feathering. I cant wait to see her all grown up. Hope she stays solid black I think that would be so cool.

Quote:Odd, no I haven't. Have hatched more than I care to admit
hide.gif
Is this a broody hatch or incubated? I would love to see another once baby is dry.

It's broody hatched

Ok thanks, my question is, is came out of the shell like that? How would mites get in the shell Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks, my question is, is came out of the shell like that? How would mites get in the shell

I would guess that those are like really small water "blisters". You are right it won't come out of the shell with mites/lice. I'm certain they will go away after a few days. Like a newborn baby with "milk bumps".

Ok thanks, my question is, is came out of the shell like that? How would mites get in the shell

Sorry I misunderstood. No I wouldnt know how lice or mites would get into the shell. In that case I'm sorry but I have no ideal.
hide.gif

Hi All, one of my hens is consistently laying eggs that look like this. Do you have any ideas why? They have access to plenty of fresh water, organic feed pellets, oyster shell, and free range in our yard about 6-8 hours per day. Any ideas are appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom