INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Thanks @jchny2000 ! I am now the proud owner of three very lovely little Coturnix ladies
love.gif
They're enjoying their new tank--especially their wood chips! I'm going to get them a new feeder and waterer tomorrow because they're really messy and have to get wood chips and food in their water (I already bought these items for them, but my CX hen has claimed them for the infirmary).

Oh, I'm also super, super blessed today for lots of other reasons! I got to spend pretty much all day between @LonelyPageTurne and jchny2000's homes. Lots of errors in communication, but a great deal of fun. I'm looking forward to helping at LonelyPageTurne's home and coop again tomorrow (what are friends for?). I somehow wound up with a bunch more birds for my house because I'm a sissy and really don't like burdening friends who are already having trouble feeding the hosts of animals they're simply too compassionate to refuse (and already burdened by the emotional strain of impending predation upon these poor little cast-offs). I just couldn't do that to them... so here I am with a bunch of little tweener EEs and BYMs... and a splash-laced Wyandotte hen and another super gorgeous Sumatra roo. Holy moly, this bird's a strutting sex symbol of the chicken world. If chickens had the sexy firemen calendars (and I would buy one, by the way), he would be Mr. July. I've got to get a good picture of him (but my tablet is only into modern art, it seems). He got out really into the forty-or-so minute drive and spent almost all of it in my lap... as I was driving. Craziness, but he's proven himself an excellent show chicken (but what would I know, having never shown a chicken before).

Big thanks to @Indyshent stopping in today helping @LonelyPageTurne get all her bird plans mapped out. I think us 3 make an awesome team!
highfive.gif

Last 2 days have been very productive.I sold my smaller goat doe, Sophie. She has been smaller than Sugar and not to standard for her breed. Added a new Doe, Cocoa! She is Nubian, and am looking into switching breeds later this year. Sugar will always stay though, she is my girl. Moved my Bocephus the buck over by the pasture so he can become familiar with the ladies in the pasture.. I want Daisy and Fanny willing to allow him in with the goats. Breeding a lot earlier than I like but no worries about kids chilling either in spring.
Quote: Very true. I really considered LGDs but adding a large dog here is just too much risk for my parents. My English Mastiff knocked Dad down too many times, just loving on him.

Hi pep's,
frow.gif
Just wanted to pop in and say HI. hope every had a great New Years day and hope the year to come is kind to all...
big_smile.png

I have alot to catch up on here, with the barn accident and then coming down sick on top of it all I've just not got the chance to get on.
Been reading a few post but have lots to go yet... lol this thread moves so fast!!
@daskhan sorry to see you are still losing birds I went through hat myself not to long ago.
hugs.gif

@Indyshent BYM is Back Yard Mix I didn't see that anyone answered you but if I missed it... sorry. We will be super bust for the next 3 weeks, but after that maybe we can make a trip to Indy.
@jchny2000 So sorry to hear about you goose.
hugs.gif

been sitting too long starting to hurt a bit so going back to my couch... lol they need to make a bedtop computer... lol
Will try and catch up some more latter...
hugs.gif
Thanks. Hope you feel better soon.
Experienced my first duck loss...i could see a lot of white in the neighbor across the culs de sac. .i was missing a pied hen and so walked over and sure enough just a ton of feathers. ..no other parts. I honestly am not sure if that was from the other morning when Rocky woke me ..or not.. needless to say ill be penning them now. I just recently had gotten 2 more hens from @jchnny2000 to add for my rescue boy..
I now have 3 girls with the 2 boys. Im so sick of these predator issues! I could literally SCREAM!
RIP little girl! Xoxo love my scovys!
Truly sweeties.
I am so sorry to hear this. Its rare but some do get taken by predators. I am working though my flocks, will see where I am on scovy hens. That's sure not enough for your 2 boys!

Thanks @jchny2000 ! I am now the proud owner of three very lovely little Coturnix ladies
love.gif
They're enjoying their new tank--especially their wood chips! I'm going to get them a new feeder and waterer tomorrow because they're really messy and have to get wood chips and food in their water (I already bought these items for them, but my CX hen has claimed them for the infirmary).

Oh, I'm also super, super blessed today for lots of other reasons! I got to spend pretty much all day between @LonelyPageTurne and jchny2000's homes. Lots of errors in communication, but a great deal of fun. I'm looking forward to helping at LonelyPageTurne's home and coop again tomorrow (what are friends for?). I somehow wound up with a bunch more birds for my house because I'm a sissy and really don't like burdening friends who are already having trouble feeding the hosts of animals they're simply too compassionate to refuse (and already burdened by the emotional strain of impending predation upon these poor little cast-offs). I just couldn't do that to them... so here I am with a bunch of little tweener EEs and BYMs... and a splash-laced Wyandotte hen and another super gorgeous Sumatra roo. Holy moly, this bird's a strutting sex symbol of the chicken world. If chickens had the sexy firemen calendars (and I would buy one, by the way), he would be Mr. July. I've got to get a good picture of him (but my tablet is only into modern art, it seems). He got out really into the forty-or-so minute drive and spent almost all of it in my lap... as I was driving. Craziness, but he's proven himself an excellent show chicken (but what would I know, having never shown a chicken before).
That black Sumatra fella is absolutely stunning for sure! And what a lover boy, he has never pecked me. Loves to sit in your lap any chance he gets. He will make an excellent bird to show. Since the Rouen, Pekin and Swedish ducks left tonight I am going to see a huge relief on the winter food bill. They went to a super nice guy that LOVES duck eggs. I invited him to join our thread also.
The coturnix are goofballs, they love a good dustbath. If you put a pie pan with dirt in it for them, they will have you laughing! They will be very random where they lay, dont lay in a nest like other pheasant types will. You may not get eggs for a couple days until they settle down from the transition. I have had a hen lay twice in a day on several occasions.

I have a SLW you can have if you're interested. Shes my only one. Ive never followed the breed so im not certain of her quality but she is still hatching babies...or i have...she never has gone broody but she just turned 3 yrs old in November.

This is her at roughly 5 mos of age.

No worries, you won't hurt my feelings if you're not.
wink.png
Smack me. I have two that look a lot like that (mine are from RK). They're lovely, sweeties and lay really well (which means they suck for type, as Wyandottes go, because "good Wyandottes" always seem to suck for temperament and laying, it seems). If @LonelyPageTurne doesn't want her, I could definitely spare a Muscovy hen (though she and @jchny2000 will both likely have at least one for you, too! Get ready for a barrage of muscovy hens!). Coincidentally, my favorite muscovy hen looks just like the one in your picture. She's not my kids' favorite, which is why I can (and will, if you desire) rehome her (and possibly one more) hen to you.
That black Sumatra fella is absolutely stunning for sure! And what a lover boy, he has never pecked me. Loves to sit in your lap any chance he gets. He will make an excellent bird to show. Since the Rouen, Pekin and Swedish ducks left tonight I am going to see a huge relief on the winter food bill. They went to a super nice guy that LOVES duck eggs. I invited him to join our thread also.
The coturnix are goofballs, they love a good dustbath. If you put a pie pan with dirt in it for them, they will have you laughing! They will be very random where they lay, dont lay in a nest like other pheasant types will. You may not get eggs for a couple days until they settle down from the transition. I have had a hen lay twice in a day on several occasions.

So glad to hear he wasn't a creep! Craigslist is such a jungle
sad.png

The quail ladies are already entertaining me, but I do plan to try a pie pan now that you've mentioned it! They are so goofy to watch! I think I'll try to move them into the office so I can watch them more. I hadn't expected random bunny hopping around the tank or all the buttwiggling these girls do! I can't wait to introduce them to my parents (they come over often).

My mom's wanted little chickens because her family had hordes of clean-faced little black "banties" that laid blue eggs (anybody know of a bird like that? This would have likely been in the '60s). She's in love with the idea of owning some Serama hens (because you can keep them indoors and hidden form neighbors).

Hey, @LonelyPageTurne Do you know if everyone in Lawrence can own six hens, or is it just people with oh-so-big-a-yard or subdivision? If I can pawn some hens onto my parents, you better bet I will! I've definitely got six I can spare
wink.png
wink.png
Big thanks to @Indyshent stopping in today helping @LonelyPageTurne get all her bird plans mapped out. I think us 3 make an awesome team!
highfive.gif

You're both absolutely welcome!
highfive.gif

Hi pep's,
frow.gif
Just wanted to pop in and say HI. hope every had a great New Years day and hope the year to come is kind to all...
big_smile.png

I have alot to catch up on here, with the barn accident and then coming down sick on top of it all I've just not got the chance to get on.
Been reading a few post but have lots to go yet... lol this thread moves so fast!!
@daskhan sorry to see you are still losing birds I went through hat myself not to long ago.
hugs.gif

@Indyshent BYM is Back Yard Mix I didn't see that anyone answered you but if I missed it... sorry. We will be super bust for the next 3 weeks, but after that maybe we can make a trip to Indy.
@jchny2000 So sorry to hear about you goose.
hugs.gif

been sitting too long starting to hurt a bit so going back to my couch... lol they need to make a bedtop computer... lol
Will try and catch up some more latter...
If you can get me your address or the one of a more convenient meeting place, I might be able to bring the birds to you earlier. Get well soon (that's the most important thing)
hugs.gif

I have a SLW you can have if you're interested. Shes my only one. Ive never followed the breed so im not certain of her quality but she is still hatching babies...or i have...she never has gone broody but she just turned 3 yrs old in November.

This is her at roughly 5 mos of age.

No worries, you won't hurt my feelings if you're not. ;)

Yeah my husband would love a SLW...be nicer if she were a HE lol bUT I'd take her lady big mouth died :((((( she is the marans slw mix you gave me. This may be her mom?? Do you have any more like her I miss her so much and I'd absolutely take another of those. If not maybe I could trade a lavender pair or female from my next hatching this spring. I have a juvie lavender I'm not sure of the sex if it's a female you can have it too if you'd trade for a marans. If it's a male I'm doing another lavender over my chocolates this year so I'm expecting lavender chocolate and black (one mom is split to lavender and the dad is split to chocolate). I'm only really wanting one maaaaybe 2 chocolate drake from that so the rest of the babies will be up for grabs for trade or cheap. I know how hard it is to lose a favorite (since you gave me one of my favorites).

BTW the boys still gave the roosters you bought them. Thank you!

In this image the black hen is the one I'm talking about giving you and the smaller barred lavender is the one I'll trade you if it's a girl. Dunno if you want it if it's a boy heh.

Big thanks to @Indyshent
stopping in today helping @LonelyPageTurne
get all her bird plans mapped out. I think us 3 make an awesome team! :highfive:
Last 2 days have been very productive.I sold my smaller goat doe, Sophie. She has been smaller than Sugar and not to standard for her breed. Added a new Doe, Cocoa! She is Nubian, and am looking into switching breeds later this year. Sugar will always stay though, she is my girl. Moved my Bocephus the buck over by the pasture so he can become familiar with the ladies in the pasture.. I want Daisy and Fanny willing to allow him in with the goats. Breeding a lot earlier than I like but no worries about kids chilling either in spring.
Very true. I really considered LGDs but adding a large dog here is just too much risk for my parents. My English Mastiff knocked Dad down too many times, just loving on him.

:hugs Thanks. Hope you feel better soon.
I am so sorry to hear this. Its rare but some do get taken by predators. I am working though my flocks, will see where I am on scovy hens. That's sure not enough for your 2 boys!

Thank you Janet for taking those orps and am and Rebecca is amazing for helping with it all, including taking the little guys that would have been too much. I'm sorry about adding to your burden but thanks to my very generous father I'll be paypalling you feed money at the beginning of every month. So I'm sure that will help. Plus those orps OMG post some pictures! The Ameraucana aren't bad either lol! Seriously guys Janet will be selling those this year so get ready for some eye candy gorgeousness.

Yeah my husband would love a SLW...be nicer if she were a HE lol bUT I'd take her lady big mouth died
sad.png
(((( she is the marans slw mix you gave me. This may be her mom?? Do you have any more like her I miss her so much and I'd absolutely take another of those. If not maybe I could trade a lavender pair or female from my next hatching this spring. I have a juvie lavender I'm not sure of the sex if it's a female you can have it too if you'd trade for a marans. If it's a male I'm doing another lavender over my chocolates this year so I'm expecting lavender chocolate and black (one mom is split to lavender and the dad is split to chocolate). I'm only really wanting one maaaaybe 2 chocolate drake from that so the rest of the babies will be up for grabs for trade or cheap. I know how hard it is to lose a favorite (since you gave me one of my favorites).

BTW the boys still gave the roosters you bought them. Thank you!

In this image the black hen is the one I'm talking about giving you and the smaller barred lavender is the one I'll trade you if it's a girl. Dunno if you want it if it's a boy heh.
Craziness! My DH's favorite are the SLW too! He doesn't care for chickens in general, but he at least thinks the silver-laced are pretty. I also think it's hilarious that roosters are everywhere until you're looking for one (then other stuff comes out of the woodwork!).

Our patriotic BLRW roo... well you could have him, but he's a pseudo-jerk. Not a fullblown flogging sort of jerk, but a wannabe dominant roo kinda jerk. For the moment Wun Wun's gladly handing him his keister on a silver platter. Buddy's made the mistake of copping affront to the new Mr July, and I'm hoping my new purdy pinup boy kicks his patriotic rumpus. So far, Sumatras have been relatively dominant boys without really having to work for it, but Wyandottes... they're a spirited lot if this guy's any indication. I'd rather have a Brahma or Sumatra in charge of the yard because--when they're at the top--things just run more smoothly so far. They're nice to the girls and not as nasty about picking on other roosters. The Wyandotte is sometimes pretty nice to teh girls (he likes giving them treats and guarding nests occasionally), he's just meaner with the other boys than I'd prefer.

Thank you Janet for taking those orps and am and Rebecca is amazing for helping with it all, including taking the little guys that would have been too much. I'm sorry about adding to your burden but thanks to my very generous father I'll be paypalling you feed money at the beginning of every month. So I'm sure that will help. Plus those orps OMG post some pictures! The Ameraucana aren't bad either lol! Seriously guys Janet will be selling those this year so get ready for some eye candy gorgeousness.

They're all eyecandy!
PS REBECCA SO LET'S DO THE SUMATRA COCHIN SOON OK BECAUSE I NEED THEM
I'm still kinda hoping for a CX/Sumatra cross... Both both my Cochins and Sumatra are black, so I'm not entirely sure how interesting it would be for you

Back
Top Bottom