INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hatchery Reviews ~ Keep Them Coming
Thank you to everyone who has described hatchery experiences! It's very enlightening to read about various businesses. As many of you noted, customer opinions vary. I suppose if one hatchery had nothing but unhappy customers, it would be out of business. Like any situation, there are always variables like employees and circumstances among others. But it is very interesting to "read reviews" from our members!

@pipdzipdnreadytogo posted:
For the past 4 or so years I've bought my chicks from Meyer Hatchery over in Ohio. I can't speak to how well their chicks ship because every year, mom and I make the ~5 1/2 hour round trip to go and pick them up. However, I can tell you that I have never lost a chick from them, that none of my sexed pullets have turned out to be male, that none of the chicks I've received have been the wrong breed, and that their customer service has been awesome. I'm nothing but happy with them.
smile.png

Thing is, you're going to hear so many conflicting reports about every hatchery you ask about. I know of many people that are just as happy with Meyer's as I am, but there are also some that are very unhappy and will never order from them again for one reason or another. And I'm sure their reasons for not liking Meyer's are just as valid as mine for liking them. In the end it'll just be easier to pick the closest, or the cheapest, or the one that has the most breeds you want, and just see for yourself how it goes.

I believe it was posted on another thread here at BYC, though it may have been somewhere else, but I saw an edited quote not too long ago that really stood out on the topic of conflicting chickening opinions. It went something like, "The only thing that two {chicken people} agree about is that the third is wrong." This is way, way too true!

pipd~ Haha Definitely true. I think discussions of chicken-raising rival discussions of child-rearing!
@funnyfarmmom Thanks for sharing your experience with Akers Hatchery in Salem. I remember hearing something bad about them last year from one of our members. I recently looked at their site, which appears to be an idyllic source— a small family operation not too far from where I live. Hopefully, I can buy spring chicks through our members.
@Soylent Chick More on feed mills… I was running some errands today not far from my house and noticed a business with USDA on the door. When I think of USDA, I think of meat inspectors. Being nosey, I went inside to find what the business was all about. lol I also thought it might be a good source of info about area feed mills. I learned something new—Vanderburgh and Posey counties mainly produce crops; they don't have livestock farming, so there aren't feed mills! He said that Warrick, Gibson, Knox, and Dubois counties have feed mills. He also suggested calling the two sources that I gave you yesterday—an area Purdue extension office and the farm co-op.
I also enjoyed talking to the USDA district conservationist who works with farmers to improve soil conservation, increase pollinators, etc. He has backyard chickens. I told him about my hobby (obsession) of digging in the soil with my chickens. The chickens remove some worms/bugs and I add organic mulch back into the soil. (That way, I act like I am accomplishing something when I am actually playing in the dirt with my chickens!)

These pictures were taken a couple of days ago when some of my girls enjoyed dry areas in a side flowerbed. Today, our snow is almost gone!
Bonbon, Bantam Chocolate English Orpington

SLW Lacey, EE Roadrunner, and BR Tweedy

wink.png
I can see it now...

You may want to look into having your flock tested for disease. Many respiratory diseases come and go in times of stress, such as moving to a new coop, and unfortunately will leave sufferers as carriers of that disease, silently spreading it. If you have any avian vets in the area that will see poultry, they should be able to help with collecting samples for tests and know where to send them.

P.S. Dark Brahmas are just gorgeous, I'd be tempted as well. I do have a Light Brahma in my chick order this year, though. Not as pretty as the darks (in my opinion), but I'm excited nonetheless; I've never owned a Brahma before.
big_smile.png

frow.gif
Welcome! Sounds like you're going to have a colorful flock!
I have had Lt. Brahmas for 3 years now and I loved the first group and still have 2 of them, the 2 nd and 3 rd ( not including those hatched here ) went by by fast they were mean as snakes. I had 1 left and was going to give it to
@Indyshent
but she was killed by a predetor, Sorry @Indyshent
I am going to try the Darks next. Been hearing lots of good about them.
Looks like the negative wind chills and temps are going away this season for my area. Hoping the long term forecast won't change. Chickens are starting to pick up on egg production, thank goodness! I had to buy store eggs this week
sickbyc.gif
I will do without before I buy store eggs. Which I am doing cause I am getting 0 eggs, I went from lots of eggs that I could get rid of fast enough to nothing!! then a few to keep us in eggs, now back to NOTHING again!!!
he.gif
I sat on my hands and bit my toungh while DH went down the road and paid 3.00 for a dz of the butt heads eggs!!!!!

I used my last 2 eggs for brownies last night!! 0 eggs for a week!! They picked up, sold a dozen to my brother because i had a dozen in the fridge. ..i couldn't tell you the last time i bought eggs...and now nothing! I will not cook anything requiring eggs until I get more! I refuse to buy!! Lol!!
I did the same thing with my DSS and then NOTHING... go figure!!

I love the action pic's but man it takes alot of pic's to get 1!!! but they are great so I do alott of deleting lol Check your inbox going to pm you.

@Indyshent posted:
If you like Cochin, you''ll love Brahmas. Brahmas are essentially better-laying Cochins with peacombs that come in fewer recognized colors. It's hard to get really good quality ones because hatcheries (especially with Light Brahmas) are very likely to throw standards out the window and try to boost egg counts, which results in smaller hens (better feed conversion though) and occasionally meaner roosters. All the mean ones I've ever heard of were Light Brahmas from less reputable sources.

Dark Brahmas are a blessing and tremendous pain in the tush, depending on what you want to do with them. Breeding them for show is difficult because good genes in one sex make for crappy phenotype in the opposite gender (gotta love silver penciled genetics). If you're not looking to them for show breeding and just want incredibly fluffy, heavy, hardy, sweet natured birds who try to get in your house all the time and seem to think they're people, well, Dark Brahmas are the way to go.

Regardless, get them from a reputable source.

Indyshent ~ Thanks for your thoughts about Brahmas! I seems like at one time on this thread, several members added Brahmas to their flocks. I'm thinking that @racinchickins is a big fan. Are they considered meat birds and perhaps have shorter life spans? Not that there are any guarantees in how long a chicken will live!

For readers' reference, here is an example of a Dark Brahma hen and roo. The online photo is fuzzy, but I love the double pencil pattern on the hen.
You are correct. I've only had Dark Brahmas at this point and they are the calmest gals I have. Not fantastic egg layers, but they do all right. I'm down to one, as one died of a possible heart attack at about 2 years old. But it's not for lack of trying. I've tried a couple of times with shipped eggs to hatch more, but no luck. And I've only seen Light Brahmas at any of the feed stores. If I saw DBs, I'd snatch some up. I know there are a few other colors too, maybe I'll try to find some of them eventually too.

My seasonal layers are all breeding and making nests. Looks like it is going to be an early spring, or I am brooding a whole lot of babies...ugh.
So far, of the seasonal layers I'm only getting muscovy duck eggs, and all 3 of my original duck hens are laying now. But yesterday I saw my turkeys mating for the first time, so who knows.

I've decided on my summer building project for this year......Get the birds out of the barn! I can't keep anything else in the barn when they are in there. They soil everything, and if it is remotely possible to eat it, it gets torn apart. I tried tarps over some equipment, and they've absolutely shredded them. and then pooped all over what's underneath (and laid eggs under there too....) Also, since it is an old barn, the walls are not air tight and I get some cold breezes no matter what I try. Frostbite has been a problem and the cold this winter has reminded me that I need something that will work in our winters and our summers.

Then I found this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/445004/woods-style-house-in-the-winter

I got the book that is referred to in thread and am starting my planning! It won't be cheap, but I'll get my barn back! I can keep the barn coops for breeding and hospital pens.

Patrick, it's been a helluva long time. I've been doing other stuff. I'm an addictive personality. Full on project A; drop project A, full bore project B, etc. Then loop back to dropped projects.
Right now, I'm in the process of building a CNC router. I have it completed; just trying to get everything tuned up and working reliably. It isn't all that complicated if you are willing to spend a few kilobucks. It is complicated if you go the (nearly) cheapest route.

Sounds like you're having fun with your free-range-in-the-barn feathered poop factories. My granddad kept his laying hens in a fenced in pen. When they got too old to be "worth their feed", he would chase them out, leaving them to fare for themselves, putting the replacement chicks in the pen. The suddenly free range hens seemed to do OK, eating whatever they could find on the farm. There was always spillage of feed and grain from the other animals. BUT every surface throughout every farm building was well fertilized. And rotten eggs were scattered about.

All my hens are getting old and laying very little. 25 hens, 3 eggs. Not worth their feed. It's time to replace them.

Are you hatching any CCL this spring? If so, I would like to buy a couple dozen. I like the colored eggs. I was real disappointed when I found that one of my current batch of hens laid white eggs.

John

So I am getting ready to get out the incubator and I was wondering what I needed to do to clean it and get it ready. Can I use bleach to sanitize it. They were cleaned before they were stored, but they haven't been out of the closet since October. Any ideas would be great.

Patrick, it's been a helluva long time. I've been doing other stuff. I'm an addictive personality. Full on project A; drop project A, full bore project B, etc. Then loop back to dropped projects.
Right now, I'm in the process of building a CNC router. I have it completed; just trying to get everything tuned up and working reliably. It isn't all that complicated if you are willing to spend a few kilobucks. It is complicated if you go the (nearly) cheapest route.

Sounds like you're having fun with your free-range-in-the-barn feathered poop factories. My granddad kept his laying hens in a fenced in pen. When they got too old to be "worth their feed", he would chase them out, leaving them to fare for themselves, putting the replacement chicks in the pen. The suddenly free range hens seemed to do OK, eating whatever they could find on the farm. There was always spillage of feed and grain from the other animals. BUT every surface throughout every farm building was well fertilized. And rotten eggs were scattered about.

All my hens are getting old and laying very little. 25 hens, 3 eggs. Not worth their feed. It's time to replace them.

Are you hatching any CCL this spring? If so, I would like to buy a couple dozen. I like the colored eggs. I was real disappointed when I found that one of my current batch of hens laid white eggs.

John
frow.gif
Oh my! So GREAT to see you post, John! Hope you are well, and your DD settled into her new home. We miss ya!

So I am getting ready to get out the incubator and I was wondering what I needed to do to clean it and get it ready. Can I use bleach to sanitize it. They were cleaned before they were stored, but they haven't been out of the closet since October. Any ideas would be great.
I use bleach sparingly, or dawn dish soap. Both are safe if rinsed thoroughly. Spot cleaning I use antibiotic or clorox wipes.

Back
Top Bottom