INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I enjoyed the birds I got from Ideal hatchery. And when I was ordering they had great specials. And I think I got 1 rooster out of 200 for the production chicks in all of the various orders I placed. BUT for EE I got a lot of roosters out of 100.

Such great weekend weather. .hate i spent it inside remodeling a bathroom! ! Mr P enjoying some lounge time at the front door today while we worked! ;)

Didn't you ask for a building inspector? ;) He's a handsome guy!

I have one formerly-healthy chick that apparently slipped and really threw its legs out. I've tried the band-aids but nothing helped. If anything, that made it worse, and I think I'm going to have to cull it because it just isn't eating and can't get around. Unlike normal splay-leg, this poor chick has its feet by its face, so while the band-aid could keep the feet the requisite distance apart, it couldn't keep the legs under the chick, so the chick just kept kicking itself in the face. Poor baby :hit

On the bright note, the quail have started laying! These eggs look like malted milk balls! :weee  

:hugs So sorry you're having problems with your birds. On the baby that is having leg issues, are there any signs of curled toes or any kind of foot deformity? Is it keeping its toes bunched like it's holding onto something? Have you tried giving it a multivitamin? And the babies aren't on medicated feed by any chance, are they? I'll do some digging for sources if I have the chance, but I'm pretty sure I have read that leg issues like what you're describing can come about from a vitamin deficiency, I just can't remember for sure what kind. I'm thinking it was one of the B-vitamins, though...

Glad your little quail are giving you something positive with their little malted milk balls, though. :D

I'm pretty sure I quoted a lot more than this, but oh well. :/

Quote: Our situation sounds similar.. When we had about 40 hens we had culled down to only 2 roosters. Big mistake! They were often fighting with each other and we felt we could never turn our backs on them when we entered the coop. The one died and the one that was left attacked me one too many times and I put him down immediately. The wounds I got on my legs from him lasted a number of weeks! Since then we let some of our barnyard mix and 1 hatchery barred rock roos grow out. So for about the past 2 years we've had between 40 - 60 (current count) hens and 5 - 6 roos and haven't had a single problem with them. I never feel as if I have to look around for them when I'm in the coop. Huge difference!

I have decided that I am going to keep only my SL Roo and work on better laced blues, Silver laced and Silver partridges. So, if anyone is interested, and all the ones pictured below are from Papa's Poultry.

I have my Blue Orp Thor available, he is a big boy!( can't wait to be able to use the hose on the deck.)

He's a beauty!

Hello everyone! It's been a while! ;-)

I'm starting to think about chicks again, and I thought I'd drop in and check out the list. I'd rather buy from one of y'all than deal with the post office.

Also, my sister is looking for a pullet or two. She wants a dark egg layer to bring some color to her egg basket. She might get on here and post herself, but I thought I'd put it out there in case she doesn't. So there's that.

Sadly, I have to report that I have a flock full of slackers this winter. Out of fourteen hens, I think one is still laying, barely. I think I've got six eggs in the last two weeks. Stinkers.

Hope everyone has a great Monday!
It has been a great Monday around here. Chickens are happy, and we are now getting about 3 eggs a day. Our 4 old girls (stinkers!) are now 3 years old, and getting about 1 egg each a day from them, and about 2 eggs a day from our 5 (new) Golden Comets. Surely the egg production from out new girls will improve, hopefully yours will also.

DD is stuck home with strep throat today, so she decided to start training her chicken. Both did very well. In about 8min, "Bubbles" learned to consistently peck at the red target chip & not peck at the distraction white chip. She surpassed "Cuddles" on her 1st attempt, so it looks like Bubbles will be an excellent candidate for DD's project.

All are drop dead gorgeous. I would love your blue fella but I cant get away from the house.Day trips are hopeless for me.

Thanks @jchny2000 perhaps when it warms up a bit, if you still want him, I could drive him out. I am in a similar situation, I take care of my sister and babysit the grandkids during the week.
But he is a sweet boy and I am really hesitant about letting him go, but I need to get my numbers down and concentrate on just the couple of breeds. Congrats on having all your breeding pens set up though already. I still have my 4 roos, 12 hens, 7 pullets and 1 cockerel all in the big coop. I have to get busy.
I am also so sorry to hear about brother and DD gramma. Sometimes it seems like everything hits all at the same time.

Also want you guys to know, I love creeping and reading your post. I learn a lot from your thread, and get quite a few chuckles too. I just don't post, but do read a couple times a week, so thanks for letting me invade the Indiana thread!

Just checking but does anyone have any Black Copper Marans available? Eggs, hens, or chicks?? I'm really wanting some for this year. Thanks

Last edited:
Hello everyone! It's been a while! ;-)

I'm starting to think about chicks again, and I thought I'd drop in and check out the list. I'd rather buy from one of y'all than deal with the post office.

Also, my sister is looking for a pullet or two. She wants a dark egg layer to bring some color to her egg basket. She might get on here and post herself, but I thought I'd put it out there in case she doesn't. So there's that.

Sadly, I have to report that I have a flock full of slackers this winter. Out of fourteen hens, I think one is still laying, barely. I think I've got six eggs in the last two weeks. Stinkers.

Hope everyone has a great Monday!
frow.gif
Its great to see you post!

Back
Top Bottom