INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I'm a little behind because I was in Indy for my voice treatment. On my way back late this afternoon, I stopped in Terre Haute to see @chick rookie 's property full of exceptionally beautiful creatures (more on that tomorrow). She had saved a Bantam Cochin Birchen Hen to give me since she phased out her bantams due to predators. chick rookie said the hen was used to being either with her or alone, so that is perfect for quarantine. The hen's name is Lacy, and she knows her name, so I need to rename by SLW named Lacey who is my only chicken who doesn't know her name! chick rookie thought that Lacy would be a good friend for Screech.

When I arrived home, my husband told me the heartbreaking news that Screech had died! I was hysterical —she was my special tiny baby that Bonbon hatched from @ellymayRans 's hatching eggs. DH had tears streaming down and said, "Screech was my favorite." He said that this morning he let the chickens out and didn't see Screech, so he peeked in the coop and she was sitting in a nesting box, and that is normal. DH came home at lunch, which he rarely does, and said that he noticed Screech wasn't with the others when he fed them some seeds. He looked in the coop, and she was in the nesting box, so he looked closer and she looked like she was sleeping, but she was dead. He left her there so I could see in case I could gather any clues. When I went out, my five other hens were roosting for the night. I sobbed and sobbed as they watched me hold Screech. Then I went in and put her in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator because I'm going to have my avian vet will do a necropsy. This is my third chicken death this year. Besides Eliza's leg mites, none of them had symptoms of anything. The only clues I could think of that may have caused her death are egg binding just because she was in a nesting box (she hadn't shown any signs) or maybe something was wrong since she was extra tiny (much smaller than the one from chick rookie). Thankfully, it looked like she just fell asleep. I am so devastated to lose my baby Screech! Her death has been the hardest I've had to take.

This photo of Screech below with flock leader, Tweedy, shows Screech's cute shape.

I am so glad to have chick rookie's Lacy!!! She has helped divert my attention, and she is so beautiful and sweet! She sat on my lap as I drove home, and she's been content in a small dog kennel where we admired her. DS came over to see her, too. Her dark eyes remind me of my RIP Eliza's eyes and my RIP BJG Jersey's eyes.Lacy is very conversational and acts pleasantly interested in everything like she's enjoying her adventure. I'm going to put her in our room tonight, and put her in my office while I work. Thank you, chick rookie/Michelle!!!
I just took these photos—if she looks sad, it's just because she's sleepy—way past bedtime tonight.

I opened the plastic so they had ventilation while its warmer outside. I am so afraid to allow free range for them! The cock is really starting to socialize more. My hen is still very timid. Am using up a lot of mealworms to hopeffully win both over.

I don't blame you but Patrick has begun free ranging his first pair and they are doing really well for him. I'm not sure how long he waited but my rule of thumb has always been a month.

I found that all of the rescues i had..all of the females were very skiddish. Much more so than the males. So that doesn't surprise me of your girl. Can't go wrong with the treats. Thats the best approach for sure! So glad you shared some pics! I love seeing the birds in their new homes!!

[COLOR=8B4513]I'm a little behind because I was in Indy for my voice treatment. On my way back late this afternoon, I stopped in Terre Haute to see @chick rookie 's property full of exceptionally beautiful creatures (more on that tomorrow). She had saved a Bantam Cochin Birchen Hen to give me since she phased out her bantams due to predators. chick rookie said the hen was used to being either with her or alone, so that is perfect for quarantine. The hen's name is Lacy, and she knows her name, so I need to rename by SLW named Lacey who is my only chicken who doesn't know her name! chick rookie thought that Lacy would be a good friend for Screech.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]When I arrived home, my husband told me the heartbreaking news that Screech had died! I was hysterical —she was my special tiny baby that Bonbon hatched from[/COLOR] @ellymayRans [COLOR=8B4513]'s hatching eggs. DH had tears streaming down and said, "Screech was my favorite." He said that this morning he let the chickens out and didn't see Screech, so he peeked in the coop and she was sitting in a nesting box, and that is normal. DH came home at lunch, which he rarely does, and said that he noticed Screech wasn't with the others when he fed them some seeds. He looked in the coop, and she was in the nesting box, so he looked closer and she looked like she was sleeping, but she was dead. He left her there so I could see in case I could gather any clues. When I went out, my five other hens were roosting for the night. I sobbed and sobbed as they watched me hold Screech. Then I went in and put her in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator because I'm going to have my avian vet will do a necropsy. This is my third chicken death this year. Besides Eliza's leg mites, none of them had symptoms of anything. The only clues I could think of that may have caused her death are egg binding just because she was in a nesting box (she hadn't shown any signs) or maybe something was wrong since she was extra tiny (much smaller than the one from chick rookie). Thankfully, it looked like she just fell asleep. I am so devastated to lose my baby Screech! Her death has been the hardest I've had to take.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]This photo of Screech below with flock leader, Tweedy, shows Screech's cute shape[/COLOR]. [COLOR=8B4513]I[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]am so glad to have chick rookie's Lacy!!![/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]She has helped divert my attention, and she is so beautiful and sweet! She sat on my lap as I drove home, and she's been content in a small dog kennel where we admired her.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]DS came over to see her, too. Her dark eyes remind me of my RIP Eliza's eyes and my RIP BJG Jersey's eyes.Lacy is very conversational and acts pleasantly interested in everything like she's enjoying her adventure. I'm going to put her in our room tonight, and put her in my office while I work.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Thank you, chick rookie/Michelle!!![/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513] I just took these photos—if she looks sad, it's just because she's sleepy—way past bedtime tonight. [/COLOR]
Awe Julie! I'm so sorry. You may want to correct her hatch date...definitely wasn't 12 yrs old.. ;) I just hate hearing that and wish i could give you a big hug! The banty cochins are just the sweetest. I have a new teeny tiny girl from a random hatch i did and she's so tiny...but they are. Glad you found Lacy!

Quote: I really want to let them "out" I am so freaked out for what they went through. I want at least another month to make sure they stay. M2H gifted me some peas a few years ago, they left when my dad had open heart surgery. I was not here and they felt they had to leave. My neighbor wound up selling out and didn't ask if I wanted those peas back. I want to be sure they stay..and feel this is home.

Any ideas? I'm trying to post pics from my iPhone. All I'm getting when I hit upload from my device is a big cancel button then it doesn't do anything. Won't bring up my photos or nothing??

Back
Top Bottom