INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@Indyshent I wonder if they can backdate a receipt for you...

lau.gif

https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/grd/5544013507.html

Hello Everyone,

I'd really appreciate some advice from people more experienced than myself. I have now lost two hens and had two others attacked in my yard after 3 years of being able to free range on our property during the day only. We have a great coop and a large run, but I love seeing my hens out an about. Our neighbors have one year old pups that have been coming over to play with our dogs and at first I didn't put it together (I though it was raccoons), but the other day I had to chase them away after they went for one chicken twice and then another day, I had to rescue a hen that was being eaten by them. I got to her in time and she is recovering (although she looks terrible). I've been really nice to the neighbors and have asked them to compromise with me by keeping their dogs somehow contained on their property at least part of the week. They have said that they do not believe in restraining their dogs and that I must chase them off or shoot them with a pellet gun (we only own a 22), in order to train their dogs to stay away. I love their dogs, but should have to keep my hens in the run 100% of the time because they won't keep their dogs put up even part of the time. Also, I'm not sure if it matters, but we have one small dog that runs free too but we have asked each of our neighbors to let us know if he was a problem in any way and are willing to get a wireless fence to keep him home if he is. We have a 130 lb bullmastiff that does not run free because she would make the neighbors uncomfortable because shes huge and a brindle.

What would you do? Thank you in advance.

Hello Everyone,

I'd really appreciate some advice from people more experienced than myself. I have now lost two hens and had two others attacked in my yard after 3 years of being able to free range on our property during the day only. We have a great coop and a large run, but I love seeing my hens out an about. Our neighbors have one year old pups that have been coming over to play with our dogs and at first I didn't put it together (I though it was raccoons), but the other day I had to chase them away after they went for one chicken twice and then another day, I had to rescue a hen that was being eaten by them. I got to her in time and she is recovering (although she looks terrible). I've been really nice to the neighbors and have asked them to compromise with me by keeping their dogs somehow contained on their property at least part of the week. They have said that they do not believe in restraining their dogs and that I must chase them off or shoot them with a pellet gun (we only own a 22), in order to train their dogs to stay away. I love their dogs, but should have to keep my hens in the run 100% of the time because they won't keep their dogs put up even part of the time. Also, I'm not sure if it matters, but we have one small dog that runs free too but we have asked each of our neighbors to let us know if he was a problem in any way and are willing to get a wireless fence to keep him home if he is. We have a 130 lb bullmastiff that does not run free because she would make the neighbors uncomfortable because shes huge and a brindle.

All dogs should be contained on their owners' property, no matter what. Since you don't practice this, it will be harder to deal with your neighbor's transgressions. You have a few choices, but relations with your neighbor will probably suffer regardless. You could call animal control to remove the dogs. Your neighbor might not figure out it was you who called. But they will probably just get more dogs. You could send them a bill for your lost chickens. You could put up fence around your property. A hot wire would be the cheapest. You could shoot the dogs. It's not like your neighbor wasn't warned. But again, they will probably get more dogs. Fencing would probably be the best solution as your animals would be secure and your neighbor's dogs would not be your problem anymore. Bur dogs running loose, killing chickens, could easily turn to attacking children or something. You could call the Sheriff's department and ask they go speak to your neighbor.
Good luck.

All dogs should be contained on their owners' property, no matter what. Since you don't practice this, it will be harder to deal with your neighbor's transgressions. You have a few choices, but relations with your neighbor will probably suffer regardless. You could call animal control to remove the dogs. Your neighbor might not figure out it was you who called. But they will probably just get more dogs. You could send them a bill for your lost chickens. You could put up fence around your property. A hot wire would be the cheapest. You could shoot the dogs. It's not like your neighbor wasn't warned. But again, they will probably get more dogs. Fencing would probably be the best solution as your animals would be secure and your neighbor's dogs would not be your problem anymore. Bur dogs running loose, killing chickens, could easily turn to attacking children or something. You could call the Sheriff's department and ask they go speak to your neighbor.
Good luck.
Agree! Our police removed two dogs that we confined on our property(friendlygolden retrievers that we never have seen before) and put them at the animal control. When the person had to get them it cost them 150 per dog to get them back! They also paid for our loss. Dogs can come from anywhere and three times that happened with three different dogs from the farmland around us. We have a pomeranian who never pays attention to the birds and they ignore him too. But maybe if the dogs were "impounded" then they would feel it in their wallets for sure.

Oh my! Busy busy busy around here! I will have to update everyone of what has happened to us on our farm later, but for now I question about my chick! My chick is almost 2 months old. She has been outside for the past 3 weeks and doing great!! Yesterday I started noticing that something was wrong with her. Her eyes looked gunky...she kept shaking her head and noticed watery substance I'm assuming coming from her eyes fly off. Now she won't open her eyes at all. She has been staying put in our ducks bedding area. I tried cleaning them with warm water a few times already. I also read giving apple cider vinegar so I ran to the store to get some and gave her a little. Not sure what is going on....can anyone help?

Hello Everyone,

Okay.... so your huge dog makes them uncomfortable because she exists... but they refuse to keep their dogs put up even some of the time even though they are actually causing harm to your animals?

1) Let your dog out. Two can play at that game. Whoopdie-crap if she makes the your expletive-laden neighbors uncomfortable. A bullmastiff is likely to protect your girls from the neighbor dogs, too. They can go ahead and be uncomfortable, and their dogs can go ahead and tangle with her, you, a gun, and the law if they're stupid enough to let them run wild and kill whatever they feel like killing. It's neglect and theft under the pathetic guise of "dogs will be dogs". If its unfair to their chicken-eating dogs to restrain them, it is exponentially unfair to your well-behaved chickens and bullmastiff to be restrained. Give them a taste of their own medicine regarding loose dogs.

2) Until everything is resolved (their dogs are dead or restrained, in other words, because they're not going to stop killing your chickens), keep your chickens enclosed and make sure their run is Fort Knoxed.

3) Notify Animal Control immediately. Get it on record. Take pictures and post them everywhere (even if you don't make them publicly seen, you want a dated record of when the pictures were taken).

All dogs should be contained on their owners' property, no matter what. Since you don't practice this, it will be harder to deal with your neighbor's transgressions. You have a few choices, but relations with your neighbor will probably suffer regardless. You could call animal control to remove the dogs. Your neighbor might not figure out it was you who called. But they will probably just get more dogs. You could send them a bill for your lost chickens. You could put up fence around your property. A hot wire would be the cheapest. You could shoot the dogs. It's not like your neighbor wasn't warned. But again, they will probably get more dogs. Fencing would probably be the best solution as your animals would be secure and your neighbor's dogs would not be your problem anymore. Bur dogs running loose, killing chickens, could easily turn to attacking children or something. You could call the Sheriff's department and ask they go speak to your neighbor.
Good luck.

I agree with all the advice provided. Definitely the good luck part.

[/IMG]
Tmarsh sorry. Keeping the only EE we bought.
Carol AM- we have an ISA brown and a black australorp both pullets 7 weeks old. Easy to catch, docile, they are in a movable coop now, on grass and have feed too. Good girls, just don't see the space for them when they get bigger.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom