INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

All that comes to mind to describe my day...had a bad day!!

I hate sharing losses of what i cant help but feel like neglect on my part, but....called my neighbors this morning to give her a heads up i may be seen wandering their woods as my turkey hen hadn't came home. I stayed up til 5am because my dog wouldn't come in and was barking up a storm all through the night, in the woods etc...
So i went on a further search and found a pile of feathers where her nest must have been!

Crazy part of the story. ... now my dog never did come in..i finally passed out, woke up at 10am. ..see 2 turkey eggs side by side on my deck, weird, walk out front to start my hunt, 2 more turkey eggs right off the drive, next to my truck. ..then see my dog with 3 more but only shells.. He was bringing them all home as she had been killed. Something killed her and had eaten some of the eggs, the 4 on the deck and in the front were unscathed! He's part Lab with a very soft mouth when retrieving! Seriously blew my mind!
I'm sorry about your hen.
hugs.gif
But what an awesome dog!

What a gorgeous day! Sinuses are not as happy with it though!
Hate aging!!!
But as far as I know now, it beats the alternative!
old.gif

Well I will start with the good stuff first... DH went to the Auction ( beef is going from 2 50 to 3 16 a lb , bottle calves were from 100 to 186 depending on age and breed ) and he calls me on his way home to tell me he got hay and had to pay out the butt to get it!!! And that's ALL we talked about. He didn't say nothing about nothing else.
He got home and I was at the back of the truck looking at the hay and he walked around with a 3 - 5 day old LaMancha Billy!!! I was so happy. I have been looking for one for awhile, I lost my other one last year and jut haven't found one that I was happy with, but this guy is Awesome!!!!

Congrats on the beautiful kid!
So we had to make a trip to TSC and get him some milk... Nothing doing DH just HAD to go check out the chicks!!!!! The Manager was saying that Friday they were going to have everyone on sale and he didn't care if they went buy 1 get 10 free... lol Well DH spoke up and said that was just great cause he had to work Friday and by the time he got off they would be gone.... the whole time I'm standing giving him the evil eye!!! I DON'T WANT TO MOVE CHICKS!!!!! So DH is talking deals... I hear the MG say 11 or 10.00... I had to speak up... that aint a deal... 11 for 5.00 would be a deal... thinking NO WAY he is going to go for that..... he DID!!!!! So now we have 11 BA chicks!!!! So much for me not wanting to move chicks... and my getting down to nothing but HERITAGE breed birds is now shot!! ( I was almost there too )

I don't have any brooders out they are all stored away in the garage at the new house!! So now I got to dig one out down there and bring it here.

Now for the BAD stuff.... Last Saturday we went down to the new place to start the clean up before the move in and found someone had went in and destroyed the house and done a good bit of damage to the garage!!! I'm talking busted windows and doors, the dry wall was removed from some of the walls, the ceiling fans were taken out and bear wires left. Looks like they took a hammer and knocked holes in the walls and ripped up most of the flooring, dumped out trash bags of trash all over the place and even left a Pee jug in the middle of the dinning room floor!!!! Yes it was a pee jug and it was full!!!! They stole the furnace and the central air unit!! And ripped out allot of the wiring. I am so upset, it took me this long just to be able to talk about it without crying.
The x-renter did it all and was stupid enough to show up while the cops were there doing a report on it all, AND admitted doing it, just came out and said " I did it so what the ---- are you going to do about it?" The officer said " I'll show ya "" and put him under arrest!!! but before he could get the cuffs on him he took a swing at the guy we bought it off of.
So he also has an assault charge against him.
So now all the money we were going to put towards fencing and critter housing... all has to go to the house so it will be livable. and we are looking at paying rent here and a house pymt for even longer!!!
Just have no ideal how we are going to do all this!!
Still cant believe that guy did all that!!

Now that I have got all that off my chest I have to get to trimming goat feet got allot to do so need to get at it but I'm so dang depressed it is taking an army to get me off my butt!!!.
What a crock! I see from the thread that you have been offered several alternatives. I hope that all works out in your favor.

Hi all! Sorry to just drop in like this. I'm ISO a couple few week old bantam chicks.

I have a lone Belgium Quail, about 3 weeks old who needs friends! (See pics below and feel free to let me know if I'm off in the breed! Hmm having trouble loading pic...)

Friday our neighbor came over with 3 extra 3 day old chicks he didn't want. He also had this little gem, and doesn't have any other bantams so he gave her to us too.

My co-broodies were fine with all 4 chicks for 48 hours and then BAM they regected Sweet Pea and were attacking her. She(?) really is too little to hold her own with the other bantams so she is in a see thru container in our large wooden brooder. So the broodies and their babes can see but not touch.

So anyone in Indy have any friends for Sweet Pea? If so Plz PM me.

As usual, wish I could be on here more. I've been pretty sick since Xmas. I have some health problems and pretty much ran myself into the ground. I think we finally have figured out the main problem and I'm getting better without relapses this time I hope and pray!

For those of you who are prayers: a dear friends 12 year old daughter is missing. I can't share more than that but we need as many people praying as possible!
Prayers and positive energy for you and your friend.

Hello Everyone,

I'd really appreciate some advice from people more experienced than myself. I have now lost two hens and had two others attacked in my yard after 3 years of being able to free range on our property during the day only. We have a great coop and a large run, but I love seeing my hens out an about. Our neighbors have one year old pups that have been coming over to play with our dogs and at first I didn't put it together (I though it was raccoons), but the other day I had to chase them away after they went for one chicken twice and then another day, I had to rescue a hen that was being eaten by them. I got to her in time and she is recovering (although she looks terrible). I've been really nice to the neighbors and have asked them to compromise with me by keeping their dogs somehow contained on their property at least part of the week. They have said that they do not believe in restraining their dogs and that I must chase them off or shoot them with a pellet gun (we only own a 22), in order to train their dogs to stay away. I love their dogs, but should have to keep my hens in the run 100% of the time because they won't keep their dogs put up even part of the time. Also, I'm not sure if it matters, but we have one small dog that runs free too but we have asked each of our neighbors to let us know if he was a problem in any way and are willing to get a wireless fence to keep him home if he is. We have a 130 lb bullmastiff that does not run free because she would make the neighbors uncomfortable because shes huge and a brindle.

What would you do? Thank you in advance.
Lots of options offered on the thread. There comes a point that I wouldn't be worried about maintaining a relationship with my neighbor. Might want that invisible fence for Fiona!

Oh my! Busy busy busy around here! I will have to update everyone of what has happened to us on our farm later, but for now I question about my chick! My chick is almost 2 months old. She has been outside for the past 3 weeks and doing great!! Yesterday I started noticing that something was wrong with her. Her eyes looked gunky...she kept shaking her head and noticed watery substance I'm assuming coming from her eyes fly off. Now she won't open her eyes at all. She has been staying put in our ducks bedding area. I tried cleaning them with warm water a few times already. I also read giving apple cider vinegar so I ran to the store to get some and gave her a little. Not sure what is going on....can anyone help?
A couple of years ago I had experience with a parasite called eye worm. With the first infection, I assumed respiratory and treated with antibiotics until a friend looked at the bird and told me what it was. Effective treatment was started too late that time, but I caught it early in a Polish hen and she survived but is almost totally blind. Look inside the eyelids and make sure that there isn't something there that looks like a spot of white goop (don't know what else to call it).

Question for those who have peacocks. One of my males has come up missing. I saw him saturday afternoon, as both males were out displaying. Then when we went to close up the pens that evening, no sign. The other male and both females are still accounted for. We looked all over including driving around the local area. Nothing. Not even any feathers. We were on the property all day, and didn't notice any panic among the flock like there would have been if a predator was around. And other than coyotes, we haven't had anything around that could carry off a full grown peacock without at least leaving some evidence.

Have you ever had one just decide to fly away? I would be surprised that he would vacate with two females on site. I never saw any aggression between the males.
Last year I had my beloved midnight BS (one of my first hatches) leave. I never knew what became of him; his mate came home, but another pair that was with them didn't. I hope yours returns.

Last edited:
Just realized I forgot to post that my friends daughter was found. Thanks for your prayers.

Question about mouse control: we have had mouse issues on and off since we moved in almost 17 years ago. In the past we've resorted to poison. That is not an option now. We have a puppy and he has caught mice on multiple occasions. So far he has not eaten one but you never know.

I tried the traps that they are supposed to be able to get into and not out. Either they aren't going in or they are getting back out. I did put poison in them so they may be getting back out that's why we've found some dead mice. Also have caught a few with sticky traps. But we really need to bring out the big guns.

So, I know @Leahs Momand @SallyinIndiana have both recommended the Rat Zapper. Wondering if anyone has tried the electronic mouse traps from Victor. I'm thinking I can buy 6 of those for the same price as three of the rat zappers, and have them all over the house, but if they don't work then it wouldn't be worth it. Editing to add: Reviews are for the mouse ones mixed, that they don't last long. Also the electronic mouse traps look an aweful lot like the ones they are not going into now... would love to hear from anyone with experience with these.

Here are two links for what I've been looking at:

Rat zapper: http://www.victorpest.com/rat-zappe...A7Tnq8mCZZwTMhYKPHELRo6bFbC9EhpFkYaAnBl8P8HAQ

Electronic mouse trap: http://www.victorpest.com/victor-electronic-mouse-trap-bm2524s-3

Once weve eliminated some I'm also considering trying ultrasonics again. When we've tried before it's only worked for a short time. My understanding is that was because they got used to it, and these at the link below change tone and frequencies. Has anyone tried these and does anyone know how they affect Chickens? We've got chicks inside and outside right now so especially wondering about them:
http://www.victorpest.com/victor-ultra-pestchaser-bm793promo

Thanks for any input you can give me!

Last edited:
Sad day at our urban farm. Looks like hawks. Four babies are dead, including Epaulettes (had frizzled shoulders), one light Brahma pullet, one mixed cockerel... and one of the baby "peep-peeps" (turkey poults). Poor Major Tom is looking to protect the flock something terrible, and everyone's diving under cover any time a sparrow flies overhead now. Other poor poult doesn't know what to do with himself either and keeps looking for him--doesn't want mommy at all right now, just wants to get down and look around some more. I had to bring him in and stick him in the brooder again. Major got really sick after losing Saphira, which is the only reason I picked the BBW babies up, and now I'm down to one out of the three.

hit.gif

Sad day at our urban farm. Looks like hawks. Four babies are dead, including Epaulettes (had frizzled shoulders), one light Brahma pullet, one mixed cockerel... and one of the baby "peep-peeps" (turkey poults). Poor Major Tom is looking to protect the flock something terrible, and everyone's diving under cover any time a sparrow flies overhead now. Other poor poult doesn't know what to do with himself either and keeps looking for him--doesn't want mommy at all right now, just wants to get down and look around some more. I had to bring him in and stick him in the brooder again. Major got really sick after losing Saphira, which is the only reason I picked the BBW babies up, and now I'm down to one out of the three.

hit.gif
Aw, sorry.
hugs.gif

Lots of options offered on the thread. There comes a point that I wouldn't be worried about maintaining a relationship with my neighbor. Might want that invisible fence for Fiona!
I totally agree about the fence. We have a real fence for Fiona, but I've been thinking about the wireless one so that she could be with us in the front yard as well. I'm working on getting my husband to agree too but ultimately, its easier to justify them containing their dogs if mine are too.

@Indyshent- I'm sorry about your losses!

C

hit.gif

hit.gif
If you want to spend some time taking netting down, you can have mine. It can be helpful even if it is just over a pen that the younger ones are in until they are bigger than a volley ball.

Just realized I forgot to post that my friends daughter was found. Thanks for your prayers.

Question about mouse control: we have had mouse issues on and off since we moved in almost 17 years ago. In the past we've resorted to poison. That is not an option now. We have a puppy and he has caught mice on multiple occasions. So far he has not eaten one but you never know.

I tried the traps that they are supposed to be able to get into and not out. Either they aren't going in or they are getting back out. I did put poison in them so they may be getting back out that's why we've found some dead mice. Also have caught a few with sticky traps. But we really need to bring out the big guns.

So, I know @Leahs Mom and @SallyinIndiana have both recommended the Rat Zapper. Wondering if anyone has tried the electronic mouse traps from Victor. I'm thinking I can buy 6 of those for the same price as three of the rat zappers, and have them all over the house, but if they don't work then it wouldn't be worth it. Editing to add: Reviews are for the mouse ones mixed, that they don't last long. Also the electronic mouse traps look an aweful lot like the ones they are not going into now... would love to hear from anyone with experience with these.

Here are two links for what I've been looking at:

Rat zapper: http://www.victorpest.com/rat-zappe...A7Tnq8mCZZwTMhYKPHELRo6bFbC9EhpFkYaAnBl8P8HAQ

Electronic mouse trap: http://www.victorpest.com/victor-electronic-mouse-trap-bm2524s-3

Once weve eliminated some I'm also considering trying ultrasonics again. When we've tried before it's only worked for a short time. My understanding is that was because they got used to it, and these at the link below change tone and frequencies. Has anyone tried these and does anyone know how they affect Chickens? We've got chicks inside and outside right now so especially wondering about them:
http://www.victorpest.com/victor-ultra-pestchaser-bm793promo

Thanks for any input you can give me!
I saw the smaller mouse zappers. I thought about them but then I also thought that the zap might be a bit stronger in the rat ones so I went with the rat zappers. BUT dust and humidity can mess them up and break them so they are indoor traps. For outside mouse problems, I recommend getting a BARN cat from Johnson county. But you must tell them it is a barn cat for your chickens or they charge a hefty pet fee. Or I can give you a kitten in about 10 weeks I think as it is looking like my female might have kittens in a month or so.

For the price of those electronic devices I say go cheap and replace every year to 18 months. Then again higher quality items many times are worth the extra money. I think of my appliances and I'm so overly glad with the ones I picked out that are the higher quality, then I see the dishwasher and I think why didn't we get the top of the line.

Back
Top Bottom