INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Here are my chicks- Chicken Noodle, Chicken Nugget & Chicken n' Waffles. They are quickly outgrowing their brooder box & begging me to fix their coop & run so they can get outside!

With all this talk of predators, I am a little nervous. We fo have coons and opossums here but I haven't seen many unless they are roadkill. Our neighbors use just chicken wire on their run and said they haven't had a problem.
The top 2ft of ourbcoop on one side is open with chickenwire over the opening. This ventilation point is 9ft above the ground with coorrugated metal as the outside cover. Are these predators able to climb the slippery metal siding? I really don't have the additional funds to cover the area with hardware cloth.
Main thing to look at if there is trees, or other buildings, objects close to allow them to jump on the coop. Take a step back, sit down and look from all sides. They can't scale metal, but will sure jump over from a tree. They are smart and will try to figure it out.

Had a mystery happen this weekend. Our one broody hen disappeared. A black, bantam Orpington, named Peanut. Gone. Vanished.

Our coopyard is chainlink fence buried a foot into the ground and chainlink on top. Automatic door. Hardware cloth over the windows. Nothing bigger than a chainlink square can get in or out.

No feathers, no blood, no fur, no clawmarks, nothing.

It's like she opened the gate and went on a walkabout.
D.gif

Maybe Aliens took her.
hu.gif

If you see Peanut walking around the West side of Indy, please send her home!
hit.gif
oh no, am so sorry!

Hello all. I have a question for those who raise freezer chickens. My buff orpingtons were approx 8 months old. Free range 3 evenings a week for 3 hours and had ff and dry feed avail. When I browned them and then baked, the skin got really, really grossly thick. Also I have never seen thighs so dark.
It was tasty but in 20 years of raising chickens it was a new experience.

Any thots ?
Thats how an older bird will get. If I use roosters for meat, I process prior to 6 months.

Hey everyone, I don't know why I didn't post this sooner. I saw someone posted that they went on vacation and were worried about leaving their chickens alone for so long.
I am a pet sitter in the Indy area (I live in the Castleton area)! I don't discriminate with animals-big, small, furry, scales, feathers, I'll watch them all!
My website is indyhelpconcierge.com it has all my contact info on there.
Lmk if I can help!!

I'm in the process of predator proofing my coop. My chicks are probably dying to be outside, I just haven't had time to put the finishing touches on it, and don't want to take any chances until it's ready! The BYC app still won't let me post photos for some reason, or I'd share a few. I'll work on that too!
Great post!

Hi all, life has been super busy and I am getting ready to start grad school on top of my 60 hour work weeks. I haven't had time to look at my chickens in weeks other than rushing in to feed and water them. I just noticed one of them has a giant swollen foot and now I'm feeling super guilty about my lack of attention and care. So I have decided to either downsize or rehome them all (a couple are 4+ years, I'd love to find a retirement home for those but will keep a few of them so they don't end up in a pot if that isn't possible).

The following will be free to good homes. All are hens and most are under 2 years old.

5 silkied ameraucana (may already be spoken for), four black and one lavender
5 mottled breda (may already be spoken for)
3 Bielefelder hens
2 Easter Eggers (one is 4+ years old)
1 Welsummer (5+ years old)
2 barred rocks
2 Isbar/Bielefelder mix

All are vaccinated for Mareks and MG
Its a hard choice to make. I agree, you look at the quality of life too.

Here are my chicks- Chicken Noodle, Chicken Nugget & Chicken n' Waffles. They are quickly outgrowing their brooder box & begging me to fix their coop & run so they can get outside!
What cuties!

I know I have missed posts, and than you so much, every one for the messages and condolences.
Raccoons, ugh. Its bad this year. Neighbors duck flock was wiped out. Another neighbor moved his to a corn crib after losing part of his flock.
Have posted before, but I want folks to know the honest truth regarding releasing raccoon after trapping. I worked with DNR as a rehabber for several years. Also worked in animal control. A male raccoon has been documented traveling 30 miles to return to his home. So if you must relocate, keep that in mind. The next issue is the population. Most released raccoons die in the roadway, from fighting or worse, starving to death. Please keep this in mind if you choose to release, and ask DNR where its legal. Lastly be considerate where you release. Its a horrible sight to find an entire flock beheaded, they are one of few animals that kill for fun.

Positive side of things my quail are laying like crazy! When I collected today, I had 14 eggs.. only have 12 hens! I collect eggs at least twice a day for all my species/birds. WTG little ladies, you are certainly earning your keep! My chickens are laying well also, have lots of "egg cubes" already in the freezer so I am not buying eggs this winter! Geese have stopped for the year. 2 Muscovy are sitting on nests but they will stop laying soon also. 2 of 3 of the turkey hens are brooding eggs, and my peahen has a clutch of 3 eggs she is brooding.
Warm months, I let the birds brood eggs and raise their own. They deserve every bit of normal I can offer them.
Hows everyone doing with broody hatches? Chicken, duck, goose, peafowl, turkey, emu whatever lol! Feel free to share pictures, comments and more.

Had a mystery happen this weekend. Our one broody hen disappeared. A black, bantam Orpington, named Peanut. Gone. Vanished. Our coopyard is chainlink fence buried a foot into the ground and chainlink on top. Automatic door. Hardware cloth over the windows. Nothing bigger than a chainlink square can get in or out. No feathers, no blood, no fur, no clawmarks, nothing. It's like she opened the gate and went on a walkabout. :cd Maybe Aliens took her. :confused: If you see Peanut walking around the West side of Indy, please send her home! :hit
I had a silkie disappear once, and found her inside a cinder block. The goofy creature was hiding and couldn't find her way out. I hope your girl turns up.

Have three broody hens. One's a veteran Welsummer with several good clutches to her credit (even though she's a year old). Other two are splash Marans/Ameraucana mixes, and "The Twins" just do everything together. I'm not sure what the Wellie's sitting on, but the other two are sitting mostly on olive eggers and Marans mixes, with a few of the Breda's eggs as well. Daddy's most likely Wun Wun (dark Brahma) or the unofficially named Pretty Boy (lovely likely EE/Sumatra mix who managed to get plumage in all three primary colors).

@pginsber
Good morning..was wondering, have you found Peanut yet? I got a chuckle when u wondered if she opeNed the gate to take a walk about...hem I realized yikes, she's MISSING...I find myself checking in often to see if you an had announced finding her.
@Indyshent
How exciting to have broodys I am truly hoping for one but I'm not feeling too positive about it. I'm not even sure the bantam roosters I have will ever be accepted by my hens in order to even have any eggs to sit on. Good luck with yours.
@jchny2000
I so enjoy reading your posts. I can't wait to see pictures of everyone's birds.

@pipdzipdnreadytogo
I have really enjoyed your pictures! Beautiful birds indeed!

Aw, thanks! :) They are beautiful, aren't they? Well, most of them... :lol:

Hi all, life has been super busy and I am getting ready to start grad school on top of my 60 hour work weeks.  I haven't had time to look at my chickens in weeks other than rushing in to feed and water them.  I just noticed one of them has a giant swollen foot and now I'm feeling super guilty about my lack of attention and care.  So I have decided to either downsize or rehome them all (a couple are 4+ years, I'd love to find a retirement home for those but will keep a few of them so they don't end up in a pot if that isn't possible).  

The following will be free to good homes.  All are hens and most are under 2 years old.

5 silkied ameraucana (may already be spoken for), four black and one lavender
5 mottled breda (may already be spoken for)
3 Bielefelder hens
2 Easter Eggers (one is 4+ years old)
1 Welsummer (5+ years old)
2 barred rocks
2 Isbar/Bielefelder mix

All are vaccinated for Mareks and MG

So sorry life has been so busy for you. :hugs Good luck, I'm sure you'll find great homes for them. (I'm drooling over those Bieles and SiAms, wish I had room for them!)

@pginsber
I'm wondering too on peanut.  Hoping for the best... 

I'll third that. :fl

Back
Top Bottom