INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Anyone looking for guinea hens? This poor person is having predator problems, and the guinea cock got picked off by a coyote yesterday. All three for $15 Seller is in Arcadia

DH works over there. I will send a message and see if we can save whats left.
ETA they have no number listed so I had Craigslist notify them.

Last edited:
Having already had an adult Jersey cow to milk, I have seen the end result. Raw milk is just sooo amazing!
droolin.gif

The bottle calves have been so much fun! They interact well with my goats and donkey. My chickens, geese and ducks are safe around them, and the chickens will sit and ride around on them. I will get a picture next time I see that! All but 2 calves are weaned now. Moose, our bull is becoming well, a MOOSE lol he is soo big! He is still really sweet and social but is still a bull.. time will tell. I have 2 Jersey heifers, and one Holstein heifer in our herd also. All 3 girls hang out with Moose. The rest are steers and will feed our family once old enough. I will have my vet check my 4 permanent herd members before we start breeding to make sure its time and all are mature enough for it. Moose will move in with our goat buck, Bocephus very soon on their own pasture. No unwanted/unplanned breedings.
We are considering selling our hogs. Not set in stone yet, but I have to admit so far I'm enjoying the cows more. I sold a sow for market that would attack chickens. Will not tolerate that here. The stipulation was right to the butcher and I made the appointment. (My poultry and waterfowl are not at risk of being eaten by a cow, either.) My oldest sow Doublestuff is approaching 400 lbs. The boar Oreo is smaller, and my Berkshire sow Willow is about his size. Those 2 are about 250lbs each. Larger hogs make deeper wallers, need more feed, mud and water. My 3 young gilt pigs are already getting big, taking after Doublestuff the Mom. Going into winter we are looking at water supply and housing for larger hogs. With our county restrictions of animals per acre, I have to make a decision before the cows reach maturity. My boar and 2 sows are awesome hogs, so its a tough choice. None of the 3 have ever been an issue.

@jchny2000

Hogs...
Just curious...have you ever had one of your hogs get stuck in the mud and not be able to get out? A guy here where I work said he's had one get stuck before and they had to figure out a way to hoist them out!

4254.gif

Calves...
Just curious with all the calves you have if you may end up selling a bred female in the future :)

4253.gif

And...
I LOVE RAW JERSEY MILK! We get it every week and it's amazing the amount of cream on top of good, grass-fed Jersey milk. Sometime the cream line is almost at half of the gallon.

I make kefir every week with at least half a gallon. Sometimes yogurt. (Used to make yogurt all the time before I got the kefir grains. Kefir is the lazy way for me and 100% raw as I never have to bring it above body temperature...just put it in the jar with grains on the kitchen counter.)

If you need some kefir grains let me know and I'll be sure you get some good ones!

Just taking a moment from this gorgeous day to post some photos of the "chicks" that I got in July from @kittydoc . Since the heat/humidity finally improved, we moved the chicks into the coop over the weekend. Although they've spent time outside with my three older chickens, I partitioned part of the coop as a safeguard at night until the older chickens get used to their space being invaded. My EE and SLW have just attacked the chicks a few times, but usually ignore them. The chicks were shocked because I have never seen them even peck each other, so they couldn't believe that a chicken could be mean. Luckily, there are four LF large chicks and only two LF hens and one silkie hen. I'm still hoping for some "I want to be picked up and loved" Cochins from @ellymayRans !

While in their bedroom home, they loved to look out the window. I put my signature memory foam pipe insulation covers over the edges to provide comfy perches.

View from the outside...wonder what the neighbors thought!

Frieda is the baby. She cried for a while when I put them in the coop the first night. I had to add a nightlight. lol
She's skittish, but is improving.

Hadley is very high strung, but not shy at all around other chickens—just people. She runs fast like my EE Roadrunner.I think she'll improve now that she's outside all the time.

Zipporah is the sweetheart. She lets me pet her and pick her up.

Mocha used to be the spokesperson of their flock, but she has become more laid back. She doesn't mind being pet.

You can see that I've added a lot of foliage for the chickens' benefit—provides hiding places and insects to snack on. Our property has tons of landscaping rocks, both above and under ground. Not so great for chickens, but they adapt, and they find crickets in the rocks this time of year.

Just taking a moment from this gorgeous day to post some photos of the "chicks" that I got in July from @kittydoc . Since the heat/humidity finally improved, we moved the chicks into the coop over the weekend. Although they've spent time outside with my three older chickens, I partitioned part of the coop as a safeguard at night until the older chickens get used to their space being invaded. My EE and SLW have just attacked the chicks a few times, but usually ignore them. The chicks were shocked because I have never seen them even peck each other, so they couldn't believe that a chicken could be mean. Luckily, there are four LF large chicks and only two LF hens and one silkie hen. I'm still hoping for some "I want to be picked up and loved" Cochins from @ellymayRans !

While in their bedroom home, they loved to look out the window. I put my signature memory foam pipe insulation covers over the edges to provide comfy perches.

View from the outside...wonder what the neighbors thought!

Frieda is the baby. She cried for a while when I put them in the coop the first night. I had to add a nightlight. lol
She's skittish, but is improving.

Hadley is very high strung, but not shy at all around other chickens—just people. She runs fast like my EE Roadrunner.I think she'll improve now that she's outside all the time.

Zipporah is the sweetheart. She lets me pet her and pick her up.

Mocha used to be the spokesperson of their flock, but she has become more laid back. She doesn't mind being pet.

You can see that I've added a lot of foliage for the chickens' benefit—provides hiding places and insects to snack on. Our property has tons of landscaping rocks, both above and under ground. Not so great for chickens, but they adapt, and they find crickets in the rocks this time of year.
Your chickens are gorgeous. I love the pic of them looking out the bedroom window. No wonder Frieda cried when she had to go the coop. They had the whole bedroom to theirselves.
big_smile.png
Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Hi Everyone!

I hope everyone's had a great summer. I'm slowly wading through this board from July on so I'm behind =)

Has anyone seen this - I had a baby turkey born this year that hatched a little late. It was such a sweet little guy, and we handled it a lot as a baby because its siblings had grown too big for it. Another one hatched after to keep it company but we still played with it a lot. It would try to get under your hand and would fall asleep on you instantly when held. It seemed to spend a lot of time sleeping though and wasn't as alert and adventurous as its sibling. I just lost the little one yesterday (it was almost 3 months old) - not long after its sibling died getting stuck in some fence - and my heart's broken. I found it just lying in the pen too weak to stand. Brought it in, tube fed and warmed it, held it until it got up and chirped and pecked at food and water, but died later on when I wasn't home. I think without another turkey around it was lonely and outcompeted by the guineas it was with - but it was so lethargic, I thought it was doomed from the start.

That sort of sparked me to downsize - I always blame myself for my birds struggling to thrive =( Anyway I have a ton of birds to sell. Chickens especially! I have 16 chicks in 2 age groups that are a mix of blue wheaton and jersey giant.

Those are the older ones, all feathered out and soft. Still a bit hard to sex, but I could make some guesses. I also have some that are a few weeks old still with their mama, straight run. $5 for the big ones and $2 for the small ones, but I'm really motivated for good homes.
I also have some Sebastopol mutt geese:

Tons of muscovy ducklings:

These ducks are out of a pair of drakes I got from Jchny2000 earlier this year - those boys did a superb job! I might be moving some adult birds out of the flock as well as I'm trying to breed for solid colors.
I have 6 more turkey poults to sell - 2 royal palm tom jakes and 4 unsexed younger birds. The young ones are a bit wild. I think I might also sell a breeding pair of smokey gray turkeys. They are very pretty, but I had so many turkeys this year!
-Carrie
If anyone needs to get in touch quick, text: 317-797-4374. I'm in Bloomington - an hour south of Indy.

I'm sure you'll find a home for this gorgeous boy. As rare as his breed is, you might be able to find someone who's shooting to build a better Araucana. Worst case, I could probably take him. I'm working on EEs, so I don't have any of his breed here, but I've got 14 or so ladies and only one grown roo at the moment. I'm still working on downsizing, but I can guarantee I'm not going to eat him. Had too many birds and had to whittle everyone down based on the all-powerful Egg Basket Index. 

How do you get around Indy's quota of 11 hens and one roo? Are you zoned agricultural?

Quote: I had mine before April 1st of this year. If you had them before that date, you're grandfathered in. It's up to the state to prove you didn't have them before that. On April 1st, I had more than fifty birds (if one included the wealth of broody babies and ones I was babysitting). If you have receipts and/or witnesses and/or dated photos, you're good. Birds under 8mos do not count against your number for chickens. As soon as I heard the city was going to ban everything but chickens, quail, and ducks, I went on a mad spree of acquisitions for everything else, so by 4/1, I had golden pheasants, guineas, turkeys in addition to ducks, quail, and chickens. I debated emu, peas and goats, but couldn't find the appropriate deal and/or willingness even on my own part to acquire said species. If you had thirteen or more birds, or you had more than one rooster, you're grandfathered as "over the limit".

Back
Top Bottom