INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hi everyone! Looks like there has been a lot of chicken business going on the past week— 'tis the season!
@Faraday40
~ I read the posts about your sister! Please give us an update when you have a chance.
hugs.gif

Since I got The Frizzles from @ellymayRans last fall, they've lived in a suite in our basement. A large area that extends to sliding glass doors is fenced off and includes a separate bedroom (the bathroom-lol) where they perch on a lowered shower rod and have a nightlight. Before bed, I play classic music for them (not a fan myself), and sometimes I lay down on the floor with The Frizzles on my stomach and my warm hands cupped around each one. It's our Zen moment. Haha Each morning, they're let out to be with the six hens, and in the evening, The Frizzles walk to the glass door to be let in the basement.

Since we're going out-of-town in a few weeks, and are getting an auto door for the big coop to make it easier for DS to babysit, I decided to move The Frizzles to the big coop. I cleaned and sectioned off part of the run for them to have their own space to get used to the coop. I also wanted to protect them from indignant hens who hadn't authorized new tenants. So I made a chicken wire partition with a tiny door that only allows The Frizzles to fit. There's already a perch in that area, and I added a little bench and their waterer. This evening, the hens went in and started their nightly bickering. I put The Frizzles in their new room. They were scared and the next thing I knew, they walked right out the door! So, I tried again, but they were upset.
sad.png
Poor babies! I chalked it up to a dress rehearsal and brought them back to the basement. I heard them muttering something about a "dirt floor, no music, no nightlight..." Tomorrow, I'm going to put a small light in their section and just keep in on for 20 mins. so they can see their surroundings while they settle down.
tongue.png

Thank you @Leahs Mom and @pginsber for taking the time to tell about your automatic coop door openers! pginsber's pros and cons reminded me of "Consumer Reports". I've been a life long subscriber, but gee, they haven't reviewed chicken gadgets! I will make a decision in the next couple of days.

Here are a few pictures that I took over the beautiful spring weekend.

The picture below is "busy!" I think it's kind of interesting because of the lighting and textures.

Lavender Orpington (10 months old) from @kittydoc Hadley is happily high-strung! Always strives to be the first to grab a worm—
or snatch one from someone! She's very vocal and makes a trilling sound. Hadley is closest to her Orp sister, Mocha,
even though they are fierce competitors. Orp sister, Zipporah, doesn't have that drive. She's much more laid back and
likes to be near me. All three sisters always run together from place to place (Zipporah in last place). It's so funny to
watch them run fast.

My EE, Roadrunner, Hadley, and Smalty on the grazing frames.

DH and I did coiffures on everyone's derrieres over the weekend to increase fertility rates. English Orps are so fluffy everywhere, including back there! We're getting good numbers of eggs now so it was definitely time. Cogburn was so concerned about what we were doing. He watched us like a hawk (pun intended) and made the most unusual sounds, like groaning! He never made a move, of course. He trusts us completely not to harm any of his flock.

@ellymayRans picked up 2 chocolate cuckoos and 2 solid chocolates earlier this week. I have one large chocolate cuckoo pullet, a black cockerel with a massive body who is Cogburn's grandson, a pair of blues, and some straight run black/lavender split and lavender young chicks right now, with more chicks due later this week. If you are interested, PM me.

We finally released our previously injured blue hen back into our layer flock after several months of recuperation in the garage. The other blues in the breeder pen wanted her out of a nest box that was hers, and she refused to get out. Her comb, head, and an eye were injured but healed. She has always had balance issues, and the fight made them worse. That did not improve much, but DH said she was fine both times he checked her Sunday. Cogburn will NOT tolerate any hen fighting at all, so I hope he keeps her protected. She has a lovely personality or else we would have likely euthanized her. Keeping wings crossed that she manages okay and the rest leave her in peace!

I hope everyone had a good weekend!

Last edited:
Does anyone want to split a six chick minimum today from tsc on Plainfield in? They have California whites that I want but I can't get six...just two...so if someone else wanted four or morr chicks to get the minimum I would buy you can take.

Last edited:
@DelawaremommyI wish I had seen this when I was still in Plainfield this am. As I might have caved! Did they have any welsummer chicks? Are the CW pullets or straight run?

Last edited:
I have some handsome young bantam gentleman looking for their own private harem! Nothing like hatching 5 bantam eggs and 4 of the 5 being boys!

It saddens me to have to say goodbye but this is way to many cockerels for my girls! The are about 6 1/2 months old.
My disclaimer: I have a big fancy camera I really don't know how to use so the pics aren't the best quality!

My name is Speckles. I am a handsome naked neck boy and am pretty laid back for a first born!

Penguin I am a typical sweet lovable Cochin. Here I am with my mama River Song- A Frizzle Cochin:

Looks like I will have to do several posts b/c I can only get 2 pics to post at a time!

Back
Top Bottom