INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Here they are again around 5-6 weeks old
20170507_153600.jpg

Here are some of my current babies.
BTW- The silver laced orps are my favs, so forgive the extra pics of them.
I have 1 male:

silver-laced-male-jpg.1096655

(Don't you just love his grumpy little face!?!)

img_3264-copy-jpg.1096656

...and one female silver laced orp.
silver-laced-female-jpg.1096654
Both side by side:
img_3270-copy-jpg.1096658
img_3273-copy-jpg.1096659

Here's the blue buff Colombian orp: Very friendly girl & one of the biggest

img_3279-copy-jpg.1096660

Blue laced orp female:
Not sure what she should look like. Perhaps she's a blue laced splash or a project bird.
img_3287-copy-jpg.1096662

Blue Laced orp male:
img_3288-copy-jpg.1096663

Gold Laced Orp female (with the blue laced male on right)
img_3284-copy-jpg.1096661

Here are the 2 blk/lav split orps. Both look female now.
img_3285-copy-jpg.1096682
img_3290-copy-jpg.1096683

All of the above birds were hatched from eggs from PapasPoultry.

I also have 3 female choc cuckoo orp females at the moment. We simply call them all "Baby Bricks" after their father. They look & act so much like their daddy, Brick, but slightly bigger since the moms were from my giant birds.
img_3281-copy-jpg.1096687
They sure grow fast. Seems like just yesterday they hatched!
I'm so sad I lost my tree! The girls are doing really well with the burlap curtains and extra water containers. I try to shallow kitty litter pan to see if they would get inside of it to cool the legs off but they just scratch straw into it. Silly girls! This fall I'm going to plant a few trees and bushes around the run to help shade it next year. I'm thinking and autumn blaze Maple and some chokeberries and witch hazel maybe and Aronia too. I work at Hidden Hill Nursery in Utica Indiana so hopefully the owner will give me a good deal fingers crossed
A thing to try to get them to step in the trays of water is to put a slice of frozen melon in the tray. They'll either step in to reach it, or step in to do their "scratch at the food" thing. Maybe.
View attachment 1097977 The four in the middle are the baby eggs. Looks like I may have two new layers. Super excited!!
Your eggs are beautiful!!

@nenebynature
Congrats on the new layers!!!! It's so much fun to find those little pullet eggs. Watching a broody raise her chicks is another great adventure. Even if you don't keep a roo, a hen may go broody. It would be easy to ask around & find someone local who can spare a few eggs. OR You could even buy some fancy eggs of a breed that's on your wishlist. (If you don't already have a "wishlist" you soon will. LOL)
Haha. I do have a wish list. It started when I got chicks this spring!

They sure grow fast. Seems like just yesterday they hatched!

A thing to try to get them to step in the trays of water is to put a slice of frozen melon in the tray. They'll either step in to reach it, or step in to do their "scratch at the food" thing. Maybe.

Your eggs are beautiful!!
Thanks! I got another new egg today. Up to at least 3 new layers now. Which is nice because a few of te originals have been free loading lately. I love them so much that I am okay with that. I had a cantaloupe in the fridge for them. I will add that to the "foot dish" and see if that encourages them to use it for cooling themselves. The heat wave has broken for now so who knows if they even try it.

@JanetMarie

I have broody envy.
Are all the mothers in the same area with each other?

OH...and I owe you an email. Been super busy around here getting ready for a "graduation cookout" we did on Saturday for my #3 daughter that graduated from nursing school. I'll reply to that email once I get caught up with life!
Yes, the moms are in the same are, which is the large area out back with everyone, but the moms and chicks stay close to the barn. Never separated them from the rest of the flock. Most of the other birds are very careful around the moms, and Cali (the rooster) is good with them.

Congratulations on the daughter's graduation! Just e-mail whenever you have time.

Back
Top Bottom