INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hello to everyone. North central Indiana. I’m a newbie at raising chickens and recently retired. I read quite a bit of material before jumping into this new venture of getting healthier eggs to eat. Not sure what I’ve got myself into. LOL!
I’m on day three from TSC pick up with 8ISA Browns. 1 died the first night and already am dealing with pasty vents. Got some good advise yesterday so we’ll see how things progress. I’m guessing chicks are 6 days old today.

Hello to everyone. North central Indiana. I’m a newbie at raising chickens and recently retired. I read quite a bit of material before jumping into this new venture of getting healthier eggs to eat. Not sure what I’ve got myself into. LOL!
I’m on day three from TSC pick up with 8ISA Browns. 1 died the first night and already am dealing with pasty vents. Got some good advise yesterday so we’ll see how things progress. I’m guessing chicks are 6 days old today.
Welcome! I have 3 Isa Browns and think they are nice chickens. Definitely friendly and lay consistently.

This was my 1st "test hatch" for this year. My chocolate orpington rooster hasn't been "friendly" with all his hens yet, over half the eggs I put in the incubator were not fertile. It's all good though, the 2nd batch is looking a little better. I think he just needs warmer weather to get in the mood!

I have another round of choc orps due in 5-6 more days and a new batch I just started yesterday. Most recent batch should have choc orps, lav orps, bantam cochins and a few silkies (I think I set 35 eggs yesterday!)

1st choc orps hatched here!
20180323_105703.jpg
20180323_105720.jpg

:wootcan't wait for pics!
Here you go:
IMG_7633.JPG

They're not much to look at yet.
1 black orp (Mom is my silver laced, so another roo must have fertilized that egg)
1 lav orp
1 yellow chick came from my buff Colombian; Laced orp is probably the daddy
The Mom looked like this as a chick & now:
IMG_1622.JPG GG.jpg

1 yellow chick with stripe came from my blue laced orp. Her chick looks just like her.
The Mom looked like this as a chick (one on right) & now:
IMG_1617.JPG IMG_7618.JPG IMG_6877 copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom