INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Dcs is stupid. My youngest has second degree burns from a few weeks ago diagnosed and assessed by a doctor. They said it's rug burns and he got it while he was visiting us. Uhh what?
So now that they're with their mom again, our lawyer is mad. The boys are in danger.

Last edited:
From your description it sounds like she was egg bound. Good reaction, giving her a bath and bringing her, making her comfortable. I'm sure the bath it was what most helped making her pass it. You might see a tad more whites or shell if it hasnt all came out. But as long as a good amount came out I wouldn't worry. Maybe just give her another bath to be to be safe, but I wouldnt say it is nessacary but It wont hurt. And I would keep an eye her just to make certain it doesn't happen again. Just because it happened to her once doesnt mean it will happen frequently or even ever again, but I would watch her

Hi I have a hen that has a red butt (below the vent) very swollen and pulsating. I'm not sure what is wrong with her but from what I've read I gave her a warm bath in Epson Salt... not sure what else to do. Can you help?

Chick pics!!!

Here are my silkies.
I took the pics separately so I know each number is a diff chick. If anyone has gender guesses let me know. However, I've been looking at them for 4.5 weeks now & still have no clue. (click to enlarge)
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
4.jpg 5.jpg

Seramas:
No doubt the silkied serama is male!
silkied serama.jpg

DD's fav (named Noodle) is very, very spoiled. So far looking female.
Noodle.jpg

OEGs:
This is the smallest chick. She's always looked female.
oeg1.jpg

Here's my toughest from the bantam hatch. Mom was a blue brassy back but dad was another color. So far no color on comb/wattles.
oeg2.jpg

Chick pics!!!

Here are my silkies.
I took the pics separately so I know each number is a diff chick. If anyone has gender guesses let me know. However, I've been looking at them for 4.5 weeks now & still have no clue. (click to enlarge)
View attachment 1357391 View attachment 1357392 View attachment 1357393
View attachment 1357394 View attachment 1357395

Seramas:
No doubt the silkied serama is male!
View attachment 1357399

DD's fav (named Noodle) is very, very spoiled. So far looking female.
View attachment 1357396

OEGs:
This is the smallest chick. She's always looked female.
View attachment 1357397

Here's my toughest from the bantam hatch. Mom was a blue brassy back but dad was another color. So far no color on comb/wattles.
View attachment 1357398
So cute! It was good for a chuckle when I peeked in here to see what you posted this morning! :love

Dcs is stupid. My youngest has second degree burns from a few weeks ago diagnosed and assessed by a doctor. They said it's rug burns and he got it while he was visiting us. Uhh what?
So now that they're with their mom again, our lawyer is mad. The boys are in danger.

Because kids playing with toys on carpet is now child abuse. There aren't emojis for that level of idiocy. I'm sure the organization does some good, somewhere, sometimes, but I think it could with a budget cut of about 99% because 99% of cases are complete BS, from what I've seen. I've yet to see them take children from legitimately abusive homes permanently, but I've seen a ton of harassment of perfectly decent families who really are doing their best. The laws don't seem to catch legitimate child abuse a lot of the time either, but they certainly lead to a lot of stupid rug burn stories and "kids playing outside = child abuse" stories. If your kids don't getting enough exercise you're abusing them, but heaven forbid they getting hurt playing or go outside. Society is doomed.

Because kids playing with toys on carpet is now child abuse. There aren't emojis for that level of idiocy. I'm sure the organization does some good, somewhere, sometimes, but I think it could with a budget cut of about 99% because 99% of cases are complete BS, from what I've seen. I've yet to see them take children from legitimately abusive homes permanently, but I've seen a ton of harassment of perfectly decent families who really are doing their best. The laws don't seem to catch legitimate child abuse a lot of the time either, but they certainly lead to a lot of stupid rug burn stories and "kids playing outside = child abuse" stories. If your kids don't getting enough exercise you're abusing them, but heaven forbid they getting hurt playing or go outside. Society is doomed.
Yeah the 2nd degree burns are rug burns... hm. In that specific pattern.

Attachments

• 20180422_193346.jpg
    20180422_193346.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 3
Does anyone know where I could get Silkie chicks? I was hoping Agrarian would have some this year, but they said they are having a hard time finding a good source. I don’t technically need anymore hens. But silkies have always been on my wishlist & the two I got last year turned out to be roo’s.

@Faraday40 Here you go! Your Silkied Cochin candling pic. :) Not a great pic because my phone wouldn't focus on it well, but it's for sure a munchkin baby as of a couple days ago (on day 4, because I can't help myself). 6 for 6 developing. :love Unfortunately, it's looking like the Silver Gray Dorking girls turned their beaks up at Darwin's advances--at the same time I candled the Silkied Cochin eggs, all the Dorking eggs looked clear. :hmm Stubborn gals! We'll see what they look like tomorrow night (day 7), but I may end up having a third hatch this year if I want my sexlinked Dorks!

day 4 candle embryo.jpg

I found a Flemish I want... but they're like 60 a piece. Gr.
Yes. That's the breed I want too. I had one as a kid & he was amazing! We're waiting for the chicken numbers to go down before adding more critters.

DD added quail last year, so they got put in the rabbit condo we built. Got the quail numbers back down to one cage of quail and was hoping to put a rabbit in the other empty cage...... DD just hatched some seramas, silkies, & OEG. She's falling in love with them but afraid to lose them to hawks. Guess who's now going into that empty rabbit cage?

Back
Top Bottom