INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Neighbor had a mink get in his coop. Woke up to a blood bath. Ate the heads off all the birds. That's why he buys eggs from me now :oops:

Edit: also 87?! I've had to dispatch maybe 8 in my 5 years of keeping
yeah 87... between a neighbor 3 door down who feeds them ( 2 neighbors in-between have hired trappers at $150 a raccoon in attic and walls), living next to a forest preserve, having 2 creeks and a bunch of town folk releasing in my side drive.... who say they didn't see the house for the trees when I catch them.
they say the average for a sq. mile of prime river bottom is 9 raccoons

Owl left a mink head under a tree a few years ago. I have also seen weasels. Coops have 1/2 inch HWC because of that.
The bigger creek that is a mile away that my creek drains into , has had an otter spotted in it. I'm praying that does fine its way up my creek

yeah 87... between a neighbor 3 door down who feeds them ( 2 neighbors in-between have hired trappers at $150 a raccoon in attic and walls), living next to a forest preserve, having 2 creeks and a bunch of town folk releasing in my side drive.... who say they didn't see the house for the trees when I catch them.
they say the average for a sq. mile of prime river bottom is 9 raccoons

Owl left a mink head under a tree a few years ago. I have also seen weasels. Coops have 1/2 inch HWC because of that.
The bigger creek that is a mile away that my creek drains into , has had an otter spotted in it. I'm praying that does fine its way up my creek
Geez, sounds like you need to get in the business of getting paid for it :gig

Geez, sounds like you need to get in the business of getting paid for it :gig
When I was a kid they came around buying furs in the spring. It was up to $50 for a extra large raccoon in perfect condition.... now it's hard to find a buyer and they were only buying those paying $2 ... not worth the salt for the skin

When I was a kid they came around buying furs in the spring. It was up to $50 for a extra large raccoon in perfect condition.... now it's hard to find a buyer and they were only buying those paying $2 ... not worth the salt for the skin
You should go to Renaissance faires. Furriers can make tons of money there. You could sell the tails too. Lots of people like them for costumes...and for being a furry (fur suit). It's crazy what some people spend there money on

It's a bad year for minks. I know multiple people who have lost their flocks to them this year.

Have you tried playing a radio all the time? Apparently that helps to keep predators away. I haven't done it but we have a friend who does.

It's a bad year for minks. I know multiple people who have lost their flocks to them this year.

Have you tried playing a radio all the time? Apparently that helps to keep predators away. I haven't done it but we have a friend who does.
I had a raccoon come in the catdoor in a basement window. It came up the stairs to get cat food. I was working on the computer, TV was on in the other room. I heard claws on the floor and I turned thinking it was the parrot I had at the time. It ran down the basement stairs but returned a couple times in 10 min until I blocked the catdoor.

I had a raccoon come in the catdoor in a basement window. It came up the stairs to get cat food. I was working on the computer, TV was on in the other room. I heard claws on the floor and I turned thinking it was the parrot I had at the time. It ran down the basement stairs but returned a couple times in 10 min until I blocked the catdoor.
Might want to upgrade to an RFID chip door

Hey Indiana,

I have a 20 week old Rhode Island Red cockerl I need to re-home.
Roosters are frowned upon where we live in central Indiana.
Let me know asap if you or someone you know are interested!

How much do you all charge for unsexed chicks and older pullets?

I'm planning to sell some of my excess. We have several breeds but most are barnyard mix. I was thinking $10 for purebred and $6 for barnyard mix chicks. $15 for pullets. Is that crazy?

Back
Top Bottom