INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Thank you!! :love

Although the chicks are cute, I think your adults are the best. The pics labeled Inara (the fluffiest hen ever) and Pete (the tiny hunk) are my favs.

Inara is so fabulous, isn't she? :love Very excited to see what her babies look like! Her first ones are due in 2 weeks. And Pete appreciates the recognition as a hunk, too, I'm sure. You know how roosters are :rolleyes:

Ah, I know you said you like the adults more, but one more--little one hatched out last night. 🥰 This is actually Pete's first baby of the year! The mother is the hen in the first picture, Washburne.

1685273485939.png

I just set 26 frizzle bc eggs and 7 more call duck eggs today 😁

Exciting!! What colors? :pop

Oh, that you don't have to worry about! I just built an additional pen last month so that I could split my Cochins up into three breeding groups to keep them rotationally, as that setup is supposed to allow them to be bred for a long time without needing to outcross for genetic diversity. I had a period of time where I was so scared I might be the last person working with them, and at that time the only ones I had were aging and all related to one another so the struggle to figure out what to do next was quite real. Now that I've located new blood I don't ever want to feel like that again, like I'm watching a beloved variety slip through my fingers and fall into obscurity. I love these birds and want to see them as a variety thrive. I'm in it for the long haul with them--whether they sell or not. 🥰

As far as that goes, though, I've had many bites but no following through so far... So in other words, if you don't have brooder space, well, the good news is I now have started pairs instead of just chicks! 😅 But seriously, reach out any time you're ready for them, no matter how long that takes. If I don't have any available at the time, I'm always happy to connect people to other farms working with them. As I said, I just want to see the variety thrive! 🙂

As far as cuteness goes, here you go, a snippet of my Cochins so far this year 😁

View attachment 3520512View attachment 3520513View attachment 3520511View attachment 3520521View attachment 3520527View attachment 3520509View attachment 3520514View attachment 3520516
https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/1683670384690-png.3499389/

...It's so hard to pick just a few pictures of them. 🤭
If you have any cochin chicks available I would be very interested in getting some

I would really love to get some Cochins. I do have 4 blue/black partridge cochin chicks coming from greenfire farms next month but I would like more. What colors do you have?

I have BBS, but the ones I have available are mostly Blacks and a few Blues. Solid Black and Blue, I should add, not Partridge! Mine are bantams, too, and silkie-feathered.

Inara is so fabulous, isn't she? :love Very excited to see what her babies look like! Her first ones are due in 2 weeks. And Pete appreciates the recognition as a hunk, too, I'm sure. You know how roosters are :rolleyes:

Ah, I know you said you like the adults more, but one more--little one hatched out last night. 🥰 This is actually Pete's first baby of the year! The mother is the hen in the first picture, Washburne.

1685273485939.png

Exciting!! What colors? :pop
Assorted colors......only 10 hatched and lost 1 :th most are mottled and a couple a couple black and 1 blue

Hi all. I was on here a few times in the spring and time has gotten away from me. Been very busy building chicken living structures, gardening, etc.

We started on the 28th of Feb with a trip to TSC "to see what kind of poultry supplies they have" because I had ordered 17 Bielefelders for late April delivery. So of course we left TSC with 10 chicks. Five were Buff Orps and 5 were Gold Laced Wyandottes. 3 pullets, 2 rosters of each breed.

Just processed 3 of the 4 roosters from that original 10 on Sunday. One of the GL Wyandottes turned into a very aggressive young Roo "overnight" (almost) and seriously tore up necks of two of the Buff Orp pullets. I decided I might as well thin the flock of 2 more while all the work with heating water, getting stuff out, cleaning up, etc. The two injured ladies received first aid and are living in large cages in the barn and seem to be doing well.

In between the TSC purchase and the ordered Bielefelders arriving we put 30 Barred Rock eggs in our incubator. 28 made the cut when candled at the 8th day. 27 hatched on the 18th of March. All 27 are thriving. (We didn't expect that much "success" )

So the ordered Bielefelders arrived in late April and of course the hatchery sent a couple extra so we ended up with 19. Only 3 are Roosters. All of those are thriving.

So of 56 total chicks, some purchased locally, some hatched at home, and some purchased by mail, ALL survived until the 3 "went to freezer camp" on Sunday.

Having a blast so far with our chicken journey but having heard all the things that can go wrong we didn't expect to have so many survive "chickhood"
But we'll take it!

We have 11 total cockerels/roosters so several will be processed. We'll likely sell some pullets because it seems like a waste to process them and 42 hens will be more than we need.

I'm looking forward to the adult phase of our chickens.

I'm also planning to raise 25 or 30 Cornish X or "Rangers" to process before the snow flies.

Sorry for the "novella"
I hope everyone is blessed
JD

Back
Top Bottom