Indiana Chicken People (list)

Starting tomorrow, my huge pole barn/garage will be temporary living quarters. The big overhead doors will be open on both ends and we almost always have a good breeze. At least I know they will be in the shade. I've set up pens for all my young chicks and for my Silkies. My 6 laying hens free range around the house so they will either join the crew in the garage or hang out on one of the covered porches. I'll have fans available and frozen water bottles also. Good luck to everyone, hope we get through this heat without any losses.
fl.gif

My thermometers show 106, and all the chickens, young and old are panting. I added a fan to my large coop and am adding fresh water with ice frequently. Most are free ranging in the shade and they come running when they see me with cold water. I'm also setting around frozen gallon jugs of water for them to huddle around. (One momma with 5 six week old chicks won't let any others near "her" jug.) I had not heard of using electrolytes in extreme heat. Maybe I'll add that to my other measures. So far, no casualties.

We lost a hen this afternoon. She wasn't acting right for a few days now. Old age we think.

The kids have been refreshing the water all day. We have/had a broody hen and now she won't sit on the eggs. We haven't had a broody hen before to hatch and was going to try it. I don't know if I should move them to the incubator or let them lay?

I use electrolytes in the water when it's above 85 or high humidity. It showed 108 here at one point. I made up "fruit ice pops" for the girls. I used an ice cube tray and added blueberries, chopped strawberries, watermelon, chopped mint and water. I put them on a plastic plate and the girls love them. You can use any kind of fruit.

I can't find elLectrolyte for chciks so I'm using unflavored pedialyte but not sure how to mix it anyone have any idea. I'm doing 1/4 cup to a gallon of water and also offering fresh water. Long Witt he ice and I'm also doing the frozen fruit.

Do you have a TSC near you? Mine had one that makes a quart (I think) at a time with tablets. Shake it up and pour it in the vessel. If you are doing any electrolytes, don't offer a plain water too, they probably won't drink the electrolyte water then and you're wasting your time and money. That is a standard rule with any animal.

Back
Top Bottom