Indiana Chickenfest 2014

Hey, all! Thought I'd finally get over here and post what I have available for the Chickenfest.

For food, I'm thinking I'll do an assortment of baked goods. Cookies, bread, maybe rolls if others have sandwich fixings to put on them. My sister (the culinary arts student) overheard me talking about it, so she wants to participate by making pies or fancy breads of some sort. She also said she can make a potato bread that's gluten-free if anyone's interested. My sister also makes what she calls an 'alligator tail', which is basically bread wrapped around cheese and lunch meat. If anyone would like to try that, I'm sure she'd be glad to make a couple for the road. I'm not sure what else will keep for the 3-hour trip with no AC, so I think that's all I'll be able to contribute to the potluck.

I have nothing bird-wise for sale, really. I can, however, bring feed bags and cat litter buckets if anyone is interested. Most of the feed bags are green, but I have one or two yellow ones. The buckets all have the lids cut off so that there's about a 3" lip, to be used as nests. I still have most of the lids, though. I want to keep a good number of them for rotation, but I can bring around 8 probably if someone wants to start using them as nests. They are handy for if you have older birds that lay weaker eggs and have issues with egg breaking. Just pull them out, hose them, and let them dry overnight.

I don't really have much else to offer, but I'll post again if I think of something. :)

Pip, I love the plan for bringing fancy bread. I was just looking at a braided cinnamon loaf the other day at the semi local bakery. There were so many great choices at the bakery, I had to leave before I got myself a giant waist line.

a change of plans - unfortunately i just found out today that i got scheduled to work next saturday (3rd saturday in a row) , so i wont be able to make it to chickenfest
hit.gif
i'm sad & sorry to miss all the fun & nice people. so also i wont be able to get there to get the Fayoumi from racin to get for the lady up in MI (only unless someone in NE IN could get it & if the other person would be willing to meet closer to the state line). Also to Barb S : maybe could meet you in Angola to deliver the Iowa Eggs sometime?

Is anyone going to have hen saddles available for the gathering? I would like to get 6 "plus sized girl" aprons for my Bielie girls since the roo is so large, and maybe a couple medium and small sized aprons for my flock to have "just in case". If so, can you list what prices you will have and color choices?

Is anyone going to have hen saddles available for the gathering? I would like to get 6 "plus sized girl" aprons for my Bielie girls since the roo is so large, and maybe a couple medium and small sized aprons for my flock to have "just in case". If so, can you list what prices you will have and color choices?

If no one has any, I know a seamstress in southern Indiana. She might ask for a pattern but she is very reasonable.

Does anyone going to chickenfest have any extra food grade 5 gallon buckets they would be willing to sell me for a dollar or two. All I have been able to get here are 3 gallon buckets and they just are not big enough.

Does anyone going to chickenfest have any extra food grade 5 gallon buckets they would be willing to sell me for a dollar or two. All I have been able to get here are 3 gallon buckets and they just are not big enough.

I need to get the salad stuff at our local Meyer. I will ask if they have extra buckets. If so the buckets would be free. I'm thinking they are food grade as they are typically filled with icing, donunt glaze, and donut filling.
Other than that RK is having the 5 gallon buckets on sale next week. Not sure if theirs are food grade though. red, white, and blue are available and free after rebate with 10% off whatever fits almost in the bucket. items may stick out 8 inches and still get the 10% off.

I need to get the salad stuff at our local Meyer. I will ask if they have extra buckets. If so the buckets would be free. I'm thinking they are food grade as they are typically filled with icing, donunt glaze, and donut filling.
Other than that RK is having the 5 gallon buckets on sale next week. Not sure if theirs are food grade though. red, white, and blue are available and free after rebate with 10% off whatever fits almost in the bucket. items may stick out 8 inches and still get the 10% off.
Thank you. I never go to Meijer's so never thought about them. I will check out RK.

Back
Top Bottom