Indifferent Pullets; Puberty or Hawk Trauma? (17 Weeks)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledegg728, Jan 4, 2017.

1. speckledegg728

speckledegg728 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2016
    Rural Ohio.
    I have five pullets that have been acting strangely for a while now. As the title says, they're rather indifferent to me. When they were younger, and there were six of them, I could go into their coop, sit down on a bucket, and have at least half of them perched on my legs. They would fall asleep there, and be very easy to handle in general.

When they were ten weeks old, I lost Ginny, head of the pecking order, to a hawk. I could tell they grieved her. The coop was silent most days, for a long time. It became harder and harder to get one of them to perch with me.

But of course, they are also getting closer to the point of lay, so I was curious if that could be a factor.

It's not as if they hate me. I mean, most eat from my hand except for the two skittish girls. Two still sometimes pop up to my knee for a visit. But it's so rare that it makes me sad. They used to come right up as soon as I went to sit on the bucket.

What could be the primary cause of this change in affection towards me? I'm out there at least four times a day and they are spoiled rotten, I really don't know what to do. :(

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    At this point, I think that their indifference is probably due to them maturing and developing different personalities. The hawk attack might have had a temporary effect, but since they probably don't associate you with the hawk attack (or remember the incident well), I don't think that is the explanation.

I would just keep spoiling them and spending time around them. Many hens mellow down once they have been laying for a while, so maybe that will be true for them, too.

Good luck! And I'm sorry for your loss to the hawk. [​IMG]

3. enrgizerbunny

enrgizerbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2016
    All teenagers rebel at some point. ALL teenagers.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees it's a maturity thing, if they are near point of lay(18-24 weeks old)...they may become more friendly later on, or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by