indoor brooder setup question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gregnlinda, Jun 7, 2011.

1. gregnlinda

gregnlinda Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Hi! I'm new to ducks. I'm getting a small indoor brooder put together. The Welsh Harlequin ducklings should arrive tomorrow, one drake, three hens. I've modified a small rabbit cage, dividing the space for sleeping in one half and feed /water in the other. I used wire, with clear vinyl, to keep sleep area drier. I cut a opening in one end of a plastic storage tub and plan to put swimming area in that. I was thinking of using hardware cloth as a bridge from the modified rabbit cage to the swimming tub. Is the hardware cloth safe to use for the ducklings and is there any other consideration I should be aware of? Any help is appreciated!

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

If I was you I would take your that swimming tub you are putting in there. They will have EVERYTHING soaking wet in 2 minutes flat and you will be cleaning out your brooder every half hour. Take your babies out and give them a bath once a day, handling your babies is good for them and makes for better ducks. The play time in the bath for 5 minutes for the 1st few days is all they are going to need swim wise. The waterbowl you are going to have for them use a lid and cut holes in it, or same again, its going to be a total wreck in 30 mins.

3. gregnlinda

gregnlinda Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    That's good to know! Five minutes a day for a few days. The swim tub is separate from the brooding cage, that's why I was going to bridge the two, so they could access it when they wanted. Maybe I'll make a door from feeding area, then let them into swim tub for a little time each day. Thanks for the suggestion! How much space and depth of water would you recommend? Does the temp of water be in a particular range?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by