Indoor Chicken?

katanne555

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
Maine
I have a 4 year old Rhode Island Red who I brought indoors after my flock was attacked by a fox. She is the only grown chicken left. I didn't want to put her back outside by herself in an unsafe pen. We ordered 4 baby chickens so she won't be alone, but they are far from being fully grown. She has been inside the house for about a week now, in a large pen at night and we let her walk around the house during the day. Her face is getting pale, and her comb is drooping over the left side of her head more than it was before. I don't know if I'm giving her the right amount of nutrients or vitamins she needs to stay healthy. I don't want her to get sick. :( Does anyone know what special nutrients indoor chickens need?

If she's laying give her primarily layer feed. If she's not laying, give her a grower feed. Limit other things as these feeds are based on the nutrition of housed birds. (layers and broilers)

Has she molted yet this year? If not, her comb is getting pale from the lack of light and egg production off or about to drop.

Vitamin D would be something she needs but that will be in the feed.

Back
Top Bottom