Wild Red Jungle Fowl Questions

tiffanylongwith

Chirping
Feb 19, 2024
We have acquired a Red Jungle Fowl, she just showed up in our backyard one day and never left. Since then, we’ve been feeding her pellets. In the winter it dropped to low teens so we made a decent makeshift coop to help keep her warm and safer from predators. She now prefers to lay her eggs in here. She goes in her coop when she wants but also explores the outdoors on her own a lot. We do have a backyard neighbor with a rooster that she also could have access to. I’m new to chickens and have a few questions.

1. Will she mind if we take her eggs? Is it okay to leave them there with possibility of breaking and attracting predators? With her being a wild chicken, Im sure she isn’t used to her eggs being taken and I don’t want to make her feel unsafe.

2. She laid around 12 eggs in 24 hours. Is the normal for a jungle fowl? Is she okay? I’ve read that they’re only supposed to lay 10-15 a year in clutches of 4-7. I check her area regularly to ensure no predators have come in. I was locking her cage up at night and I saw one egg (but from my view it’s a bit difficult to see until my boyfriend comes home and can move part of her run out of the way so I can get her to her nest. The next morning she laid in there for about 7 hours and when we looked in her cage once she left there were 12 eggs. The day after that she laid 2 more. For the next couple days she was super hungry too. Could the increased laying mean anything? Possibly fertilization? Is there a way to know if they are fertilized? What could explain this surge of egg laying?

3. She’s now been in her coop for the longest she has ever been by choice about 36 hours now and at about 24 without seeing her eat or drink. How long before intervening? And with her being wild and not easy to touch or catch typically, how would I be able to help her?

Sorry this is long, I’m new and feel like some of my questions could vary with her being a wild chicken.

I also included pictures of her makeshift coops if you have any notes. Yes we are aware that the light can be a fire hazard, we regularly check the hay and move it when needed and her coop is placed so that we can see it in most rooms of the house. Will eventually get a motion camera for it too.

IMG_0080.jpeg
IMG_0317.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpeg
    IMG_0419.jpeg
    517.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0414.jpeg
    IMG_0414.jpeg
    786.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
1. Will she mind if we take her eggs? Is it okay to leave them there with possibility of breaking and attracting predators? With her being a wild chicken, Im sure she isn’t used to her eggs being taken and I don’t want to make her feel unsafe.
Some domestic chickens will notice when the eggs have been taken, and will decide that nest is not safe (so they go find another nest to lay in.) I would expect a wild chicken to notice too.

If you want to take her eggs, you could replace them with some fake eggs (wood, ceramic, plastic, even golf balls.) Most birds are not clever enough to realize that their real eggs have been replaced by fake ones, so they feel just as safe after the switch.

2. She laid around 12 eggs in 24 hours. Is the normal for a jungle fowl? Is she okay? I’ve read that they’re only supposed to lay 10-15 a year in clutches of 4-7. I check her area regularly to ensure no predators have come in. I was locking her cage up at night and I saw one egg (but from my view it’s a bit difficult to see until my boyfriend comes home and can move part of her run out of the way so I can get her to her nest. The next morning she laid in there for about 7 hours and when we looked in her cage once she left there were 12 eggs.
That should be biologically impossible.

Chickens usually lay one egg every day or so. I'm betting she laid those eggs at the rate of one each day, and you just didn't notice until she had a big pile and one happened to be more visible.

The day after that she laid 2 more. For the next couple days she was super hungry too. Could the increased laying mean anything? Possibly fertilization? Is there a way to know if they are fertilized? What could explain this surge of egg laying?
Two in one day is pretty rare, but happens on occasion in chickens. I think it's more likely that she laid just one in one day, and you mis-counted the day before, but I could be wrong about that.

If she has been visiting the rooster next door, they are probably fertilized. To tell if they are fertilized, you can incubate them (under a broody hen or in an incubator.) If they develop chicks, they were fertilized. If not, probably not fertilized.

You can also crack an egg and look at the yolk: some people say they can tell fertilized eggs that way (I've tried, and learned I can be wrong both ways.) Of course, at that point it's too late to hatch the egg you just opened, but it is fine to eat.

3. She’s now been in her coop for the longest she has ever been by choice about 36 hours now and at about 24 without seeing her eat or drink. How long before intervening? And with her being wild and not easy to touch or catch typically, how would I be able to help her?
She may be broody (sitting on the eggs to hatch them.)

If you want chicks, leave the food and water where they are, and leave her alone to do her thing. Most hens will get off the nest to eat, drink, and poop, usually about once or twice a day, but they choose times when no-one is looking. You may be able to see that the food is disturbed, or that she leaves big stinky poops, as proof that she did get off the nest to attend to her needs.

Since you said she seemed extra-hungry for a few days, she may have been storing up extra food for when she is broody. Broody hens eat less than other hens, and they use up some of their stored body fat during this time.

If you do not want her to hatch eggs, you can take the eggs away and see if that makes her stop. If she continues to sit on an empty nest, you can shut her in a cage with no nest for a few days, until she quits being broody (if you do not want chicks, it is better for her health to quit being broody and go back to normal life.)

I also included pictures of her makeshift coops if you have any notes. Yes we are aware that the light can be a fire hazard, we regularly check the hay and move it when needed and her coop is placed so that we can see it in most rooms of the house. Will eventually get a motion camera for it too.
What is the purpose of the light?

If it is to provide heat, I strongly recommend that you remove it. I see green plants in your photos. That proves the temperature is warm enough for any healthy adult wild chicken, with no extra heat needed. If she hatches chicks, they will not need any extra heat either, because the hen will keep them warm under her feathers.

Some domestic chickens will notice when the eggs have been taken, and will decide that nest is not safe (so they go find another nest to lay in.) I would expect a wild chicken to notice too.

If you want to take her eggs, you could replace them with some fake eggs (wood, ceramic, plastic, even golf balls.) Most birds are not clever enough to realize that their real eggs have been replaced by fake ones, so they feel just as safe after the switch.

That should be biologically impossible.

Chickens usually lay one egg every day or so. I'm betting she laid those eggs at the rate of one each day, and you just didn't notice until she had a big pile and one happened to be more visible.

Two in one day is pretty rare, but happens on occasion in chickens. I think it's more likely that she laid just one in one day, and you mis-counted the day before, but I could be wrong about that.

If she has been visiting the rooster next door, they are probably fertilized. To tell if they are fertilized, you can incubate them (under a broody hen or in an incubator.) If they develop chicks, they were fertilized. If not, probably not fertilized.

You can also crack an egg and look at the yolk: some people say they can tell fertilized eggs that way (I've tried, and learned I can be wrong both ways.) Of course, at that point it's too late to hatch the egg you just opened, but it is fine to eat.

She may be broody (sitting on the eggs to hatch them.)

If you want chicks, leave the food and water where they are, and leave her alone to do her thing. Most hens will get off the nest to eat, drink, and poop, usually about once or twice a day, but they choose times when no-one is looking. You may be able to see that the food is disturbed, or that she leaves big stinky poops, as proof that she did get off the nest to attend to her needs.

Since you said she seemed extra-hungry for a few days, she may have been storing up extra food for when she is broody. Broody hens eat less than other hens, and they use up some of their stored body fat during this time.

If you do not want her to hatch eggs, you can take the eggs away and see if that makes her stop. If she continues to sit on an empty nest, you can shut her in a cage with no nest for a few days, until she quits being broody (if you do not want chicks, it is better for her health to quit being broody and go back to normal life.)

What is the purpose of the light?

If it is to provide heat, I strongly recommend that you remove it. I see green plants in your photos. That proves the temperature is warm enough for any healthy adult wild chicken, with no extra heat needed. If she hatches chicks, they will not need any extra heat either, because the hen will keep them warm under her feathers.
Thank you so much! I am so grateful for you taking the time to answer this so detailed.

I definitely don’t think we could take on 12 baby chicks if they are fertilized so I’d feel comfortable with the swapping of the eggs, that is such a great idea, thank you!

It is possible that I could have not seen them until they piled up. I’m not strong enough to move her “run” (I don’t know if that could be considered that but that’s the word we’ve been using for the metal part or cage). I check in her nest at least twice a day but I can’t see much as I’m about 3 ft away from it. When my boyfriend was able to move the cage and I was able to look up close is when I saw the 12 so I’ll assume that’s what happened. I put pictures of what I could see the night where I saw 1, the morning I saw 4 and then immediately after moving the “run” to reveal the 12.

I’ll try to keep an eye out for poop or food disruption. If I don’t see anything after a bit, I’ll try your method for broodiness, thank you!

So the light we used when it was 13° because we saw a post on here saying to use one if it hits the low teens. We have it off now. On google it says 65-75 ° is preferred, should it be on if it’s below that like 40-50 or below freezing? I haven’t had it on for that but just wondering, I haven’t found a good article for that one yet besides the low teens guideline on one post.

Again, thank you so much for your help!
IMG_0234.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpeg
    IMG_0266.jpeg
    602.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    698.4 KB · Views: 2
Thank you so much! I am so grateful for you taking the time to answer this so detailed.

I definitely don’t think we could take on 12 baby chicks if they are fertilized so I’d feel comfortable with the swapping of the eggs, that is such a great idea, thank you!

It is possible that I could have not seen them until they piled up. I’m not strong enough to move her “run” (I don’t know if that could be considered that but that’s the word we’ve been using for the metal part or cage). I check in her nest at least twice a day but I can’t see much as I’m about 3 ft away from it. When my boyfriend was able to move the cage and I was able to look up close is when I saw the 12 so I’ll assume that’s what happened. I put pictures of what I could see the night where I saw 1, the morning I saw 4 and then immediately after moving the “run” to reveal the 12.

I’ll try to keep an eye out for poop or food disruption. If I don’t see anything after a bit, I’ll try your method for broodiness, thank you!
Glad it helped :)

So the light we used when it was 13° because we saw a post on here saying to use one if it hits the low teens. We have it off now. On google it says 65-75 ° is preferred, should it be on if it’s below that like 40-50 or below freezing? I haven’t had it on for that but just wondering, I haven’t found a good article for that one yet besides the low teens guideline on one post.
If she is sheltered from the weather including wind (like inside that coop), she should be fine even into the low teens with no extra heat. Some people in cold climates say their hens are fine to even lower temperatures (below zero).

I would not take a hen who has been living indoors, or in a tropical climate, and drop them straight into those cold temperatures. They do need some time to acclimate. But a chicken should be fine if she is living outdoors all year long, because she adapts to the changing seasons as they happen.

I'm struggling to navigate the site enough to post my own thread .

We've recently trapped(rescued) an orphaned jungle fowl chick.
Any advice on how to know she's ready for later pellets like the rest of our hens?
Thanks in advance

I'm struggling to navigate the site enough to post my own thread .
For your question, go to one of these two sections:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/feeding-watering-your-flock.12/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/what-breed-or-gender-is-this.15/

Look for a button that says "Post Thread," probably located somewhere in the upper part of the page (not the very top, but not too far down either.) Click that button :)

We've recently trapped(rescued) an orphaned jungle fowl chick.
Any advice on how to know she's ready for later pellets like the rest of our hens?
Thanks in advance
Are you able to post a photo of her?

As a very basic point: if she has any fluffy chick down left, she is too young for layer feed. If she has a full set of feathers, it is not as easy to tell age.

In general, it is safe to feed chick starter to chickens of any age. Or all-flock feed, or flock raiser.

Layer feed has about three times as much calcium as other chicken feeds, and is not good for chickens unless they are actively laying eggs at the time. A few meals of layer pellets shouldn't hurt any chicken, but eating it for weeks or months could be a problem for non-laying birds (non-layers include growing chicks, roosters, hens that are broody or molting, etc.)

If in doubt, I would feed chick starter or something similar to all the chickens, including the new pullet an the existing hens. Also provide a separate dish of oyster shell for a calcium source: that lets the layers get the extra calcium they need, without having it in the feed where non-layers would have to eat it too. That system works well for flocks that have chickens of mixed ages, where some need the extra calcium and others do not. Of course layer feed is fine when all your chickens are laying.

Back
Top Bottom