Indoor Chickens

Hah, what part of communist Canada?
Lived in Ontario for a while, liked it, but luckily I was out of the larger populated areas.
Was near Sarnia, north a bit and could cross a neighbors property to the big lake.
Now I live in China and we have a very unique flock. They lived indoors while we built the coop and raised them, and now live outdoors, but are welcome to join us inside from time to time.
Feel free to read up on my posts and check out my coop.
To sum up what I have learned I can say two things.
You really can keep chickens in your apartment, but you better be ready to live in a coop.
And
Inside chickens are a whole different world than outside chickens, both good and bad.
I had a long and self entertaining, but essentially useless post about this idea and my experiences. This one is still long, and potentially useless, but here are the important points:
RULE #1 : Have a lockable Chicken Zone
Someplace they can be and poop, jump and tear up anything they want. Its a must and a great place for them to sleep, then they'll instinctively return to it.
Baby chickens can run around free and have fun with little disruption of a usual environment, however
Adult chickens in an apartment is hard to do, no questions about it. It can be done, but only if you are willing to let them have one of your rooms as "theirs".
RULE#2 : If you want them to be good inside, raise them from chicks inside.
Outdoor chickens can not be converted to indoor, simple as that. They must be raised there and comfortable there. Outside chickens can be good inside, but they will never be inside chickens.
RULE#3 : Have a very efficient and dry feeding and watering system.
If you have wasted food, or ample amounts of spilled water it will create hell inside an apartment. Anyone who has lived in an apartment knows every pest imaginable likes to congregate there first, dont give them an open invitation to set up rooms next to your chickens.
RULE#4 : Sanitation is your life
There aint no deep litter method in an apartment, 0 hell no. There be a masonry trowel and a bucket my friend.
Dust bathing, sure if you like a crapload of dust in your apartment. You want to seven dust your LCD TV? Your Computer? Uh, huh my friend, Uh huh.
I give them a sandbox with coarse sand, big stuff that doesnt fly far and is easy to scoop poop out of. I heard about kitty litter, might work for truly inside chickens, but mine are only part-timers.
Take everything you have ever heard about raising chickens and double the personal time investment, this should give you a taste of indoor chickens.
RULE#4A : Airflow is a chickens life.
Chickens need fresh air, lots of fresh air. They need good air more than they need warm air. Your chicken zone had better be well ventilated, until you see a change on your heating bill, dont worry about letting the air out of their room. This part of chicken life is the same, no matter where they are housed.
RULE#5 : Cooped up chickens are sick chickens (pun semi intended)
It wont be life threatening but as said in rule 3 and 4, indoor chickens are very different and require close monitoring not for common parasites or other usual problems, but for the self induced chicken problems. Coccidiosis, worms, any problem that the outside farmer could somewhat ignore or not see the ill effects of are your worst nightmare.
Proactive is not an option, it is a way of life.
RULE#5A : Inside chickens are not Outside chickens
This part of rule 5 is the fun part. If you keep them clean and happy then they are clean enough to sleep with. Other than the occasional foot wipe there is nothing for you to worry about. Many have spoken about dust and feathers and chaff, but with a good sweep more than once a week and regular chicken zone cleanings I have never even noticed this, even durring the molt.
Honestly I'm sick less often now, its embarrassing but cleaning more often than once every 3 weeks is good for you.
RULE#6 : There are no rules
I hacked out a much longer list and accumulation of stories, but the more I thought about it. The more I realized that outside of the basics: More time, More careful, More problems, Less space its anybody's game raising chickens indoors. Its possible, but just like any mobile animal indoors it takes a serious commitment. Honestly its easier having kids, or even a dog inside.
Chickens are their own species (more puns~) and more than that each chicken is even more different than the next, so outside or inside everyone's chcikens will be different in nature.
Learn, study, adapt, create
Then just have fun.
RULE#7 : One person is in charge
This is the last one and the most important one. One person is in charge of all aspects of chicken world. Opinions will vary and woes will befall, but a good village only has one chief.
Good luck and feel free to ask many questions.
(Holy crap this is the short version)

Thank you for your advice! I really apreciate your time! I'm considering moving into a town house now, with a small yard. However, if I get some chickens, if the neighbors see me
it could cost $500

I wanted to add something quite important to my experience and advice:

The breed of chicken is really important, Really important to a good or bad experience.
Houdans and Silkies as well as some crazy Olive Egger breed are good to go. HOWEVER
I think that most typical breeds may give you some extremely different results.

My mother in law recently bought a few garbage chickens from the market because she wanted the boys to stop mounting our girls. So some random normal hens sounded like a good idea...
Regardless of the many, many, many things about this I disagree with and the disease they carried killing off 3 of my favorite girls, I learned something.

Those girls are mess machines.
I see what people mean about a house full of dust, crap and feather goobers.
Just the 4 of them produce more trash than 20 in the coop area. Even as we had 12 going through an adolecent mold dropping feathers like candy it was nothing compared to this garbage those 4 make every day.

Before you buy your chickens find out about their mess production factor.

Don't do it!

They are very dusty and your house will get really dirty and smelly.

Their claws will scratch furniture.

They will poo - really smelly poop sometimes and it will stick to everything,

Feathers will cover the place,

They are really NOISEY when they are laying eggs, and the neighbours will hear them. When mine start laying eggs they all do the egg laying song - for a long time - several times a day.

They will knock over and break any decorations you have also.

They are not suitable as house pets and they will not be happy themselves either.

Don't do it!

They are very dusty and your house will get really dirty and smelly.

Their claws will scratch furniture.

They will poo - really smelly poop sometimes and it will stick to everything,

Feathers will cover the place,

They are really NOISEY when they are laying eggs, and the neighbours will hear them. When mine start laying eggs they all do the egg laying song - for a long time - several times a day.

They will knock over and break any decorations you have also.

They are not suitable as house pets and they will not be happy themselves either.

Okay, I'll keep them outside, only problem is if people see them I could get a $200 fine

How many are you wanting to get?

What about some quail instead. a trio of them will be fine in your house. They lay many eggs (although small), and the females are not noisy.

I have often wondered about quail, as they seem quite interesting.
How would you rate them as compared to chcikens for hardiness?

Cuteness has prevaled over good husbandry too many times here, and it takes a toll in sickness and other problems.
I'd hate to add some Quail to our flock, or Zoo is more appropriate, only to have them be killed by cuteness as too many already have.
I'm gonig to be doing some searching on my own, but first hand experience is always better to listen to.

I also have to re-state, the type of chicken makes all the difference in the world.
Get some good breeds from a good breeder.
If you can go to the farm, look and listen to the flock. If they let you select your girls & boys.
Our chickens have been a delight as part time indoor birds.

They are just a hardy and chickens. But its not a good ideas to mix quail and chickens together as the quail are much smaller and also they can pas on diseases to each other.

Keep the quail in their own cage.

They are really easy to take care of and a real egg producing machines.

My friend has had house chickens(different breeds) for more than 20 years. I've been to her house several times, I've never noticed an odor. She also has canaries, turtles, beta fish oh and an adorable dog. Her seramas do not fly up on the furniture, they wait for her to lift them. I do know she spends a large part of her day cleaning up after them. She refuses to try chicken diapers.I would not want to have chickens in the house but, apparently it works for her. She does complain that they shred her throw rugs, scratching at them etc.

None of her chickens would admit if they were happy or not - they seem very busy and in good health. It's funny tho when you enter her home, they all run and hide behind the couch. Now and then they look out to see if you left yet.

Back
Top Bottom