Indoor Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FireFalcon15, Jan 2, 2013.

1. FireFalcon15

FireFalcon15 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013

Thank you for your advice! I really apreciate your time! I'm considering moving into a town house now, with a small yard. However, if I get some chickens, if the neighbors see me
    it could cost $500

2. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you want them for the eggs or just as companion animals?

3. FireFalcon15

Jan 2, 2013
    Both

4. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    I wanted to add something quite important to my experience and advice:

The breed of chicken is really important, Really important to a good or bad experience.
    Houdans and Silkies as well as some crazy Olive Egger breed are good to go. HOWEVER
    I think that most typical breeds may give you some extremely different results.

My mother in law recently bought a few garbage chickens from the market because she wanted the boys to stop mounting our girls. So some random normal hens sounded like a good idea...
    Regardless of the many, many, many things about this I disagree with and the disease they carried killing off 3 of my favorite girls, I learned something.

Those girls are mess machines.
    I see what people mean about a house full of dust, crap and feather goobers.
    Just the 4 of them produce more trash than 20 in the coop area. Even as we had 12 going through an adolecent mold dropping feathers like candy it was nothing compared to this garbage those 4 make every day.

Before you buy your chickens find out about their mess production factor.

5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Don't do it!

They are very dusty and your house will get really dirty and smelly.

Their claws will scratch furniture.

They will poo - really smelly poop sometimes and it will stick to everything,

Feathers will cover the place,

They are really NOISEY when they are laying eggs, and the neighbours will hear them. When mine start laying eggs they all do the egg laying song - for a long time - several times a day.

They will knock over and break any decorations you have also.

They are not suitable as house pets and they will not be happy themselves either.

1 person likes this.
  6. FireFalcon15

Jan 2, 2013
    Okay, I'll keep them outside, only problem is if people see them I could get a $200 fine

7. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    How many are you wanting to get?

What about some quail instead. a trio of them will be fine in your house. They lay many eggs (although small), and the females are not noisy.

1 person likes this.
  8. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    I have often wondered about quail, as they seem quite interesting.
    How would you rate them as compared to chcikens for hardiness?

Cuteness has prevaled over good husbandry too many times here, and it takes a toll in sickness and other problems.
    I'd hate to add some Quail to our flock, or Zoo is more appropriate, only to have them be killed by cuteness as too many already have.
    I'm gonig to be doing some searching on my own, but first hand experience is always better to listen to.

I also have to re-state, the type of chicken makes all the difference in the world.
    Get some good breeds from a good breeder.
    If you can go to the farm, look and listen to the flock. If they let you select your girls & boys.
    Our chickens have been a delight as part time indoor birds.

9. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    They are just a hardy and chickens. But its not a good ideas to mix quail and chickens together as the quail are much smaller and also they can pas on diseases to each other.

Keep the quail in their own cage.

They are really easy to take care of and a real egg producing machines.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    My friend has had house chickens(different breeds) for more than 20 years. I've been to her house several times, I've never noticed an odor. She also has canaries, turtles, beta fish oh and an adorable dog. Her seramas do not fly up on the furniture, they wait for her to lift them. I do know she spends a large part of her day cleaning up after them. She refuses to try chicken diapers.I would not want to have chickens in the house but, apparently it works for her. She does complain that they shred her throw rugs, scratching at them etc.

None of her chickens would admit if they were happy or not - they seem very busy and in good health. It's funny tho when you enter her home, they all run and hide behind the couch. Now and then they look out to see if you left yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by