indoor pet rooster problem

In this case, they are neglected, borderline abused, pets.
I don’t see evidence of that in the post. Conditions sound like they’re getting to be unsanitary, but it doesn’t sound like it has escalated to neglect at all yet. As for the ties, breeders of gamefowl use tie cords all the time, so I don’t think it should be considered abuse. (Unless that’s not what you’re talking about?)

I do agree that if the situation continues the same as it has been, the outcome probably won’t be the best for the birds. However, indoor chickens can be kept successfully. If the OP improves upon their situation, I don’t see any reason why they should get rid of their birds.

Last edited:
Well, it can't be any worse for them than living in a commercial poultry house. That is where they may have ended up if they had been pullets.

If I had to keep chickens in an apartment they would be in separate cages and only let out under supervision. Maybe one at a time if necessary.

Roosters are going to argue. Maybe it should be ignored until they start physically damaging one another.

You know, chickens will live five or ten years. Do you think you can stand it that long? Lord, why didn't you get a cat or hamsters or something?

Puppy pads are excellent for easy poop clean up. I used them with baby chicks (topped with pine shavings) and with sick chickens that need to be separated for healing.
Having one rooster would probably be doable but two in such close proximity all the time is troublesome.

Perhaps you would like to get in contact with @Saaniya . She is keeping rescued roosters as house pets as well and might be able to give good advice.
Thanks so much for mentioned .
My roosters yes I get them as colored chicks .I used a Manual made cardboard box which I turn as a comfy room like box with windows and compartments with some sheets of newspapers then I place a towel then food bowl in the corner I always place food bowl that is filled with Millet .
I don't put water inside because they spill always . Throughout the day my boys stay out in my room they play on my bed or go in balcony see my plants . I never bother about poop issue because pooping is a right for a bird 😂😂😂
Millet give a firm poop that is easy to clean .
I use Proovi Boost Drop as daily suppliment because I don't provide pellet diet and my boys only eat Millet and Fresh Corn which needs a extra vitamin requirment.
That's it it help alot and provi boost calm a Rooster temper too because it contains almost all vitamins and amino acids

:)

I don’t see evidence of that in the post. Conditions sound like they’re getting to be unsanitary, but it doesn’t sound like it has escalated to neglect at all yet. As for the ties, breeders of gamefowl use tie cords all the time, so I don’t think it should be considered abuse. (Unless that’s not what you’re talking about?)

I do agree that if the situation continues the same as it has been, the outcome probably won’t be the best for the birds. However, indoor chickens can be kept successfully. If the OP improves upon their situation, I don’t see any reason why they should get rid of their birds.
I don't see that their needs are being met, hence the neglect. The fighting (likely over space) is the borderline abuse.

I agree I can be done, but that does not mean it should be done.

Unfortunately, chickens aren't meant to be indoor pets. They won't be happy living indoors.
I totally disagree with that statement. I have an 8 month old Red Star that I've had since she was 1.2 ounces. She has laid over 90 eggs! I take her for rides on my mobility scooter, twice a day which she LOVES and never ever tries to fly off. We stop at certain places where she can get off and scratch for bugs and whatever. She has a crate with a nesting box with straw (hard cardboard kitty litter box) and roams free in the house with a chicken diaper on purchased from Google. She loves my two dogs and sleeps with them regularly. It just all depends on how you raise them and making sure you keep them happy. She's trained to never step off the grass of my property onto the road and never, ever, does. I love this girl!

I totally disagree with that statement. I have an 8 month old Red Star that I've had since she was 1.2 ounces. She has laid over 90 eggs! I take her for rides on my mobility scooter, twice a day which she LOVES and never ever tries to fly off. We stop at certain places where she can get off and scratch for bugs and whatever. She has a crate with a nesting box with straw (hard cardboard kitty litter box) and roams free in the house with a chicken diaper on purchased from Google. She loves my two dogs and sleeps with them regularly. It just all depends on how you raise them and making sure you keep them happy. She's trained to never step off the grass of my property onto the road and never, ever, does. I love this girl!
I think the difference between you and OP is that you take your chicken outdoors, while they started they are unable to do so at all because of dogs. I do think keeping a chicken indoors 100% of the time is a bad idea all around, but that's not what you are doing and I am sure your chicken is very happy. I know several indoor chickens who are perfectly content and well cared for, but they do get outdoor time each day.

Back
Top Bottom