indoor pet rooster problem

Pics

mattaluri

In the Brooder
May 4, 2021
hi, I have 2 rescued chickens at home and since i live in an apartment and here streets are flooded with dogs am unable to take them out so am raising them indoor and I got recently covid and for a while am staying alone had to keep them in brooder(cardboard boxes) till I got cured now since they stayed together and got bored or something they cant stand each other one is bigger and if I pet them they go crazy on each other and they poop alot its harder for me to clean had to keep the tied up so its easily manageable I have provided them access to my room and balcony so they can roam around I feel there can be better solution with poop management and there brooder situation and I cant afford for diapers daily for them, am hoping any other alternative solution would be helpful about there fighting and poop management.

I got great help last time here regarding there health and it worked like charm I have included the grown up pic of pooper which you can see in my profile now fully grown to really lovely rooster thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 20210611_194707.jpg
    20210611_194707.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 94
Posting this problem in the Coop and Run forum is a bit strange unless you plan to actually keep them housed properly outdoors in a predator proof coop and run, which you cannot do because you live in an apartment.
IMO, these boys both need to be rehomed where they can live with hens outdoors and be normal chickens. They will never be truly happy birds living in an apartment.

I think it’s best to keep one roo. There’s no point in haven’t a chicken as an indoor pet especially in an apartment, since chickens poop a lot. Also how did you manage to keep roosters instead of hens, like roosters crow really early in the morning. And they aren’t even aloud in some local areas never mind a small apartment. 😂
But I think if you *really* like them as a pet, maybe try keeping only one?
Also just a *dumb* idea, have you thought of buying a coop that can fit on your balcony where they can sleep/chill when you go out instead of cardboard boxes?
Anyway I know how you feel about giving them away, I felt that when I had to give my two Muscovy drakes.😞
Anyway good luck! Xx
What do you think the other residents of the apartment building might think of a rooster crowing in the apartment or on the balcony?
The OP got these two birds as dyed chicks.
Regardless of all the humans that will complain about a chicken living in an apartment, and the OPs desire to keep them, it is NOT FAIR to the birds. They don't belong living tethered in a room inside an apartment. If these birds are truly loved, the OP will find a proper home for them where they will be happy and live out normal fulfilling lives. That is never going to happen inside an apartment.
Also, the OP has tethered them not only because of the fighting but because of them pooping all over the apartment. What a miserable existence for all involved.
I wonder what the apartment owner is going to think of that when he/she sees the apartment.
Failure to find these boys a proper new home may very well also end in an eviction. And soon. Something tells me that cockerels/roosters are not permitted per the terms of the lease.

but anyone i give they will kill it for the meat they are like pets for me
Not true.
You need to advertise them correctly.
I've given away 9 cockerels/roosters and all went to be flock leaders.
Where in the world are you located? In general. You don't have to be specific. Just trying to determine what advertising resources you may have available to you.

They are going to fight since they have no women (hens) it's what roosters do, you would need at least 20 hens to keep them happy and maybe not fight, but that's impossible in an apartment.
Chickens aren't too good as house pets (there are exceptions), roosters especially. You can't keep both, you are going to have to get rid of one. That's your only option.

Back
Top Bottom