indoor pet rooster problem

Unfortunately, chickens aren't meant to be indoor pets. They won't be happy living indoors.
I totally disagree with that statement. I have an 8 month old Red Star that I've had since she was 1.2 ounces. She has laid over 90 eggs! I take her for rides on my mobility scooter, twice a day which she LOVES and never ever tries to fly off. We stop at certain places where she can get off and scratch for bugs and whatever. She has a crate with a nesting box with straw (hard cardboard kitty litter box) and roams free in the house with a chicken diaper on purchased from Google. She loves my two dogs and sleeps with them regularly. It just all depends on how you raise them and making sure you keep them happy. She's trained to never step off the grass of my property onto the road and never, ever, does. I love this girl!

I cant afford for diapers daily for them, am hoping any other alternative solution would be helpful about there fighting and poop management.

Maybe some kind of reusable diaper?

You might be able to put in something disposable, like a piece of paper or a plant leaf, to collect most of the poop, and then wash out any that remains in the diaper. (Washing it outdoors in a bucket of water might be better than putting it with the family laundry.)

About the fighting, more space and more things to do might help, but I can't think of any specific ideas.

They are going to fight since they have no women (hens) it's what roosters do, you would need at least 20 hens to keep them happy and maybe not fight, but that's impossible in an apartment.

Um, I don't think that is always true.

Some people keep bachelor flocks (just roosters, no hens), and they say the roosters fight less when there are no hens to fight over.

So I do not think the lack of hens is the problem.

All chickens, of any gender, will do a bit of "fighting" as they settle the pecking order and maintain it. Some roosters, and even some hens, will just keep picking at each other, and the only peaceful solution is to keep them apart (maybe in separate cages, so they can see & interact but not hurt each other). Some others will get along just fine. And some will sort-of get along when conditions are just right but have troubles at other times (that may be the case here).

Yes, I know Bachelor flocks can be very successful....when they're outside, not in an apartment with no access to even dirt. OP hasn't said how bad the fights are, if it's normal pecking order stuff, that's one thing but if it's all out fight, it could get bloody.
I don't think the solution to this issue is keeping them in cages but there's always exceptions.

I just don't know. You're right, we do not not know how bad the fights are.

But I'm not convinced that "outside" will solve much. Plenty of people have outdoor chicken coops, and even runs, that are smaller than some apartments.

When I said "cage" I was being sloppy-- I really meant any enclosure, not a specific style or size. Some "cages" can be quite large-- in this case, if could even be one rooster in a room and the other in the next room, with a screen door between so they can interact without injury. Or one indoors while the other is on the balcony.

I think having happy, healthy chickens inside can be done, but I do not know how to tell if it will work for THIS person and THESE chickens.

hi, I have 2 rescued chickens at home and since i live in an apartment and here streets are flooded with dogs am unable to take them out so am raising them indoor and I got recently covid and for a while am staying alone had to keep them in brooder(cardboard boxes) till I got cured now since they stayed together and got bored or something they cant stand each other one is bigger and if I pet them they go crazy on each other and they poop alot its harder for me to clean had to keep the tied up so its easily manageable I have provided them access to my room and balcony so they can roam around I feel there can be better solution with poop management and there brooder situation and I cant afford for diapers daily for them, am hoping any other alternative solution would be helpful about there fighting and poop management.

I got great help last time here regarding there health and it worked like charm I have included the grown up pic of pooper which you can see in my profile now fully grown to really lovely rooster thanks for your time.
I know these are very much loved pets for you, but you might consider finding them a new forever home. Keeping a house rooster isn't impossible, but every person I know who has done it still makes sure they get outside time. That sounds like something you can't do for them where you are. As much as it might upset you, it is not in their best interests to deny them something they need. I also have not seen people keep more than a single chicken as a house pet. I'm not sure you will be able to avoid the fighting between them and it sounds like you are having difficulty caring for them.

I understand wanting to keep them, but I think given your current circumstances, the most loving and humane thing you can do for them is find them a new home where their needs will be met.

I totally disagree with that statement. I have an 8 month old Red Star that I've had since she was 1.2 ounces. She has laid over 90 eggs! I take her for rides on my mobility scooter, twice a day which she LOVES and never ever tries to fly off. We stop at certain places where she can get off and scratch for bugs and whatever. She has a crate with a nesting box with straw (hard cardboard kitty litter box) and roams free in the house with a chicken diaper on purchased from Google. She loves my two dogs and sleeps with them regularly. It just all depends on how you raise them and making sure you keep them happy. She's trained to never step off the grass of my property onto the road and never, ever, does. I love this girl!
I think the difference between you and OP is that you take your chicken outdoors, while they started they are unable to do so at all because of dogs. I do think keeping a chicken indoors 100% of the time is a bad idea all around, but that's not what you are doing and I am sure your chicken is very happy. I know several indoor chickens who are perfectly content and well cared for, but they do get outdoor time each day.

You are trying your best to be kind to these animals and the world would be a better place if more people were kind to animals like you are.

I think because you raised them together they should not fight too badly. Maybe they are just fighting to decide who is the boss - that is normal. If they make each other bleed you have a problem you need to fix. If they just jump around and look angry but don't hurt each other it is normal and fine.

I think it would make them happy not to be bored. Is it possible for you to give them a box with sand in it in the sun? Then they can bath in the sand.

Also I think it would help if you hide food for them to find. Chickens like to look for their food. But before they go to sleep you should make sure they they found enough food.

And give them small amounts of different types of food. Like weeds, crickets, maggots, pieces of vegetables.

Sometimes I give mine a whole cabbage to each because it is fun for them but it makes their poop VERY runny.

Another thing you can do is tie an apple to a string and hang it up in their cage and the chickens like to peck at it.

You said that they knock over their water. There are ways to solve that. I like to but a big container and fill it up quite a lot with stones and then put water in that. The stones make it heavy so they can't knock it over. I also put it on bricks so that it is high up and they don't mess food in it. There are other kinds of drinkers you can make for free. There are lots of ideas on Pinterest. If you want some more I can send you pictures.

In this case, they are neglected, borderline abused, pets.
I don’t see evidence of that in the post. Conditions sound like they’re getting to be unsanitary, but it doesn’t sound like it has escalated to neglect at all yet. As for the ties, breeders of gamefowl use tie cords all the time, so I don’t think it should be considered abuse. (Unless that’s not what you’re talking about?)

I do agree that if the situation continues the same as it has been, the outcome probably won’t be the best for the birds. However, indoor chickens can be kept successfully. If the OP improves upon their situation, I don’t see any reason why they should get rid of their birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom