indoor pet rooster problem

Um, I don't think that is always true.

Some people keep bachelor flocks (just roosters, no hens), and they say the roosters fight less when there are no hens to fight over.

So I do not think the lack of hens is the problem.

All chickens, of any gender, will do a bit of "fighting" as they settle the pecking order and maintain it. Some roosters, and even some hens, will just keep picking at each other, and the only peaceful solution is to keep them apart (maybe in separate cages, so they can see & interact but not hurt each other). Some others will get along just fine. And some will sort-of get along when conditions are just right but have troubles at other times (that may be the case here).
Yes, I know Bachelor flocks can be very successful....when they're outside, not in an apartment with no access to even dirt. OP hasn't said how bad the fights are, if it's normal pecking order stuff, that's one thing but if it's all out fight, it could get bloody.
I don't think the solution to this issue is keeping them in cages but there's always exceptions.

Perhaps you would like to get in contact with @Saaniya . She is keeping rescued roosters as house pets as well and might be able to give good advice.
Thanks so much for mentioned .
My roosters yes I get them as colored chicks .I used a Manual made cardboard box which I turn as a comfy room like box with windows and compartments with some sheets of newspapers then I place a towel then food bowl in the corner I always place food bowl that is filled with Millet .
I don't put water inside because they spill always . Throughout the day my boys stay out in my room they play on my bed or go in balcony see my plants . I never bother about poop issue because pooping is a right for a bird 😂😂😂
Millet give a firm poop that is easy to clean .
I use Proovi Boost Drop as daily suppliment because I don't provide pellet diet and my boys only eat Millet and Fresh Corn which needs a extra vitamin requirment.
That's it it help alot and provi boost calm a Rooster temper too because it contains almost all vitamins and amino acids

:)

I think it's nice if we can try to understand the culture and environmental that people from other countries are coming from when they come here for help, and when they are trying to communicate with us when it is clear that English is not their native language. Other cultures are very, very, very different from that of the United States, and it can be very hard to imagine what the mores and conditions are there. People in other countries may not have the type of economic advantages and consumer goods that we have in this country. Clearly this person has limited space but is trying to take care of these birds that were initially chemically dyed as babies. As we all know, in many cultures chickens are to eat or to use in fighting, if they can't produce eggs. I am so glad that some people were able to offer help and some great advice. Unfortunately it looks like the questioner may have left.

I think the difference between you and OP is that you take your chicken outdoors, while they started they are unable to do so at all because of dogs. I do think keeping a chicken indoors 100% of the time is a bad idea all around, but that's not what you are doing and I am sure your chicken is very happy. I know several indoor chickens who are perfectly content and well cared for, but they do get outdoor time each day.
She doesn't know any different because I got her at 1.2 ounces, so she really hadn't had time to imprint that long on the other chicks. She is such a beloved member of my home and she seems perfectly content and has laid 97 eggs!

Attachments

• DSCI0399.JPG
    DSCI0399.JPG
    664.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCI0221.JPG
    DSCI0221.JPG
    774.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCI0240.JPG
    DSCI0240.JPG
    480.7 KB · Views: 5
Posting this problem in the Coop and Run forum is a bit strange unless you plan to actually keep them housed properly outdoors in a predator proof coop and run, which you cannot do because you live in an apartment.
IMO, these boys both need to be rehomed where they can live with hens outdoors and be normal chickens. They will never be truly happy birds living in an apartment.
but anyone i give they will kill it for the meat they are like pets for me

Sorry you were sick and that it made it hard to keep up with your boys. I think sometimes two roosters will settle back into not fighting. It depends on the Roos.
I agree some kind of reusable diaper option could help, or putting something down in the areas where the mess gets most concentrated.

hi, I have 2 rescued chickens at home and since i live in an apartment and here streets are flooded with dogs am unable to take them out so am raising them indoor and I got recently covid and for a while am staying alone had to keep them in brooder(cardboard boxes) till I got cured now since they stayed together and got bored or something they cant stand each other one is bigger and if I pet them they go crazy on each other and they poop alot its harder for me to clean had to keep the tied up so its easily manageable I have provided them access to my room and balcony so they can roam around I feel there can be better solution with poop management and there brooder situation and I cant afford for diapers daily for them, am hoping any other alternative solution would be helpful about there fighting and poop management.

I got great help last time here regarding there health and it worked like charm I have included the grown up pic of pooper which you can see in my profile now fully grown to really lovely rooster thanks for your time.
I think it’s best to keep one roo. There’s no point in haven’t a chicken as an indoor pet especially in an apartment, since chickens poop a lot. Also how did you manage to keep roosters instead of hens, like roosters crow really early in the morning. And they aren’t even aloud in some local areas never mind a small apartment. 😂
But I think if you *really* like them as a pet, maybe try keeping only one?
Also just a *dumb* idea, have you thought of buying a coop that can fit on your balcony where they can sleep/chill when you go out instead of cardboard boxes?
Anyway I know how you feel about giving them away, I felt that when I had to give my two Muscovy drakes.😞
Anyway good luck! Xx

hi, I have 2 rescued chickens at home and since i live in an apartment and here streets are flooded with dogs am unable to take them out so am raising them indoor and I got recently covid and for a while am staying alone had to keep them in brooder(cardboard boxes) till I got cured now since they stayed together and got bored or something they cant stand each other one is bigger and if I pet them they go crazy on each other and they poop alot its harder for me to clean had to keep the tied up so its easily manageable I have provided them access to my room and balcony so they can roam around I feel there can be better solution with poop management and there brooder situation and I cant afford for diapers daily for them, am hoping any other alternative solution would be helpful about there fighting and poop management.

I got great help last time here regarding there health and it worked like charm I have included the grown up pic of pooper which you can see in my profile now fully grown to really lovely rooster thanks for your time.
There are reusable diapers designed for chickens you could try. You would probably have to order them online.

I agree with some of the other posters that two roosters can get along without hens. Though it can be more difficult with only two in a limited space.

I also agree that you should provide them with supervised time outside. Grass and dirt are very important for chickens and are also great enrichment for them.

Back
Top Bottom