indoor quails?

Transform987

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2015
Just a simple question can quail be kept indoors like a budgie I know they cannot fly I mean like in a cage indoors because I heard they are vulnerable to the cold and the UK is aa hot as the Antarctic it's not

just a simple answer to your simple question is Yes, they can. depending on your indoor location and the quantity of quail you keep it may or may not be practical. one local quail farm has their breeders in a very large indoor environmentally controlled building because of the high temps in the area during the summer.

W
just a simple answer to your simple question is Yes, they can.  depending on your indoor location and the quantity of quail you keep it may or may not be practical.  one local quail farm has their breeders in a very large indoor environmentally controlled building because of the high temps in the area during the summer.
what is better indoors or outdoors for the quails

again it's more about how practical it is as either will work just fine and either can be better/worse then the other.

with a large quantity of quail you're gonna need good ventilation, with good ventilation you'll also need good heat/AC to keep it at a set temp. IME quail do good in cold weather as long as you keep them dry and out of the wind, they'll do equally well in the heat if you provide shade and plenty of water.

around here the heat will however cause the eggs to start developing so they need to be collected every 2 hrs when outside temps get above 85°

It's all about what is best and easiest for you... which generally creates the conditions for healthier birds. Quail are highly adaptable and both will work. Where I am we actually have four seasons, and we leverage the seasons to help create an optimum bird environment. I love having my birds inside, because they are protected and are in a very stable and convenient environment... the trade-off is the intensive cleaning and costs in space and utilities. Raising birds outside is generally easier, because it is more manageable to clean and maintain (and the sun and wind have amazing health benefits). There are many more reasons to raise birds on pasture with (daily moved) quail tractors. Regardless: having modular pens and/or cages can allow you to have the best of both worlds.

If you were to raise them inside, I would encourage you to give them a dedicated 'space' where nothing else really is. A simple partition can go a long way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom