Infected Comb?

MissMaple

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Rhode Island
My friend has a EE chicken that is about 1 year old and seems to have an infected comb, in the means that it is round and about the size of a sunflower seed, but the shape of one. Over the past few weeks, it has been increasing in size, and has scabs on it that are possibly from her friends pecking at it. The bump is firm. This chicken is near the bottom of the pecking order and has a bare spot from the other chickens picking at her. My friend has 4 chickens in total, all hens, and they don't free range. They have a run that is adequate for the number of hens.

Please tell me if you know anything or how to treat the hen. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures as this is not actually my chicken.

-MM

Can your friend/owner of the chicken send you a picture to post?

Could be a wart? Or any number if things...So I agree it is difficult without a photo but as a general rule if the hen isn’t showing signs of being unwell apart from the mystery spot ..then at first sign of any cuts, grazes inflammation i put on a blob of burts bees resq ointment as it is antiseptic & draws out infection and the other hens don’t seem to like pecking it...and even if they did peck it ..it won’t hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom