Infected eye from hawk attack

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Luciapkincer62, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Luciapkincer62

Luciapkincer62 New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    One of my hens was picked up by a hawk about 2 weeks ago. Her side wound seems be healing fine but her eye injury has a bit of puss. What needs to be done? Should she be with the other chickens??

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I would separate her and get some terramycin opthamolic ointment. It is a thick ointment meant to be applied directly to the eye. It will clear her eye up. You want to do it as quick as possible because eye infections can cause blindness in short amount of time. Tractor supply carries it and most feed stores carry it too.

1 person likes this.
  3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! If she still has injuries, other flock mates could see her as an opportunity to peck at the weakened bird. Separate her asap. Chomomile tea bags that have been soaked in warm water and pressed directly against the eye help a lot. Good luck with her and I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do use the antibiotic that Minihorse mentioned to you. Imagine all the bacteria a hawk can pass on from it's many kills.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Very glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

6. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I'm glad your chicken survived the hawk attack! I hope you can find the ointment mentioned to treat her eye. I hope she's back to 100% soon!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community but sorry it was under these circumstances. Hope your chicken's eye heals up okay! Best wishes! :)

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I've always had good luck using Vetricyn spray on infected eyes.

10. JackyJ

JackyJ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2015
    Fort Calhoun, Nebraska
    I'm so glad that I looked at these posts! Yesterday one of my Barred Rocks was attacked by a Hawk. I only let them out of their run when I am home. I went into the house and the hawk saw its opportunity. It only did damage to the head of my little peanut.( Aka Barred Rock). I brought her in yesterday and kept her warm and gave her Pedi Light with a syringe. Held and comforted her. (My husband thinks I'm crazy) I was worried about her eyes. They were closed and swollen last night. This morning one of her eyes open and looks ok as far as I can tell. I had to go to work, but placed her in a crate in the coop with the other girls. I had read that they need to still be with flock but protected. When home from work other eye slightly open. I was wondering about getting some sort of ointment for her eye,just to prevent infection. So this is perfect. I did let her out of crate just for awhile, I stayed in the run to make sure no one pecked at her wounds on her head. I gave all the girls a huge amount of treats. I think they all are suffering from PTSD after the hawk. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by