Infected Eyes

I tried taking pictures tonight but the lighting was poor so they didn't come out. I will try again tomorrow during the day. However, yes the inside of the mouth has pus like your bottom picture shows.
If you can see the pus, don't worry about taking any pictures. The pus there means she has a sinus infection. Some people on BYC have said to inject Tylan directly into the infected area to cure it, but I have not tried that. In my limited experience treating birds at the feed store, you have to physically get the pus out. I can probably help you through this, but you'll need to be brave. There are two at the feed store with sinus infections that I'm going to treat, so I can take pictures and post them.

One last comment... If you go to the peafowl forum, there are a couple of threads there about this type of eye problem. I'll try to find them for you later, but I need to take a nap now.

Casportpony-
If you would tell me how to treat sinus infections I would greatly appreciate it. Like I said she acts like she feels fine. She was scratching and foraging for food today... she just can't see. It makes it that much harder to cull her.

No there is no odor.

Tomorrow will be day 5 of Tylan 50 and I was told to stop after day 5. Should I continue giving it to her and the others or stop?

Casportpony-
If you would tell me how to treat sinus infections I would greatly appreciate it. Like I said she acts like she feels fine. She was scratching and foraging for food today... she just can't see. It makes it that much harder to cull her.

No there is no odor.

Tomorrow will be day 5 of Tylan 50 and I was told to stop after day 5. Should I continue giving it to her and the others or stop?
I tried treating with antibiotics, but the pus never went away and I had to dig it out, which is why I said you would have to be brave. Tell me, how much does she weigh? It might be worth trying to adjust her med level. I believe the most they are supposed to get is 40mg/kg 2-3 times a day. I'll look for that info tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

I will gladly try to tell you how I treat theses and we can talk on the phone, too. Just sent you a PM with it.

Today there is hardly any puss in her mouth. Her eyes are not draining at all but they are still both scabbed over shut. She is up and about, blindly, eating. She has a good crop. Today is supposed to be her last day of Tylan. Do I stop or keep going?

Today there is hardly any puss in her mouth. Her eyes are not draining at all but they are still both scabbed over shut. She is up and about, blindly, eating. She has a good crop. Today is supposed to be her last day of Tylan. Do I stop or keep going?
If you think it's working, you should give it a couple of days past the point where she looks normal, but if her eyes are still crusting shut, I doubt it's working. FWIW, I have not given Tylan to mine, but I have been told by several vets that antibiotics should be given antibiotics a couple of days past the the point where they look good. Stopping too soon is one of the ways that bacteria build a resistance to antibiotics.

Here is a picture. I knew when starting a backyard flock that having to cull birds would be part of the deal. I'm not against it, don't like it but not against it. I understand that even though the other 6 chickens are well that they are carriers and the flock must be closed. I now know that the "reputable" breeder we purchased our hens from sold us contaminated hens.
somad.gif
We never have any intention of having chicks. Our hens are for us to have eggs to eat. With that said I am concerned about recurrence in the other hens. I can't afford to cull all 7 and start over. Once they get a respiratory illness does that mean they are more likely to get it again or does that not have anything to do with it? Thanks for all the help and feedback.
I will also work on a good sanutation program for the birds to prevent further illnesses

Back
Top Bottom