Infected facial wound on hen!

She (casportpony) said that she has removed the pus in 2 birds (pigeons.) One has recovered and one has not yet, but is being treated. She also said that removing the pus may cause a lot of bleeding. She also recommended that Petsmart sells "API General Cure that contains metronidazole 250 mg plus praziquantel ( dewormer) and you could get that sooner if you have one near you.

shopping

This is a quote from Dr. Peter Brown, not a veterinarian by the way, but has owned chickens for 50 years, and who some here on BYC like to consult with on diseases, and who has a column called the Chicken Whisperer who writes:

Symptoms and treatment

Canker caused by the protozoa Trichomonas gallinae typically resides in the mouth, esophagus, and intestinal tract. Lesions are commonly found in the mouth cavity and appear as a pale, cheesy looking, white to bleached-yellow lesion. Removal of the lesions can easily be accomplished with a pair of forceps. Some bleeding will occur because the lesion is attached to the mucosal surface tissue of the mouth. Lesions may appear anywhere in the oral cavity, but usually are easily seen on the tongue, edges of the beak, the opening of the esophagus, and can also cover the glottis (air way) as well.
Medication is required to clear the infection from the affected birds. Failure to properly recognize and treat this disease can be fatal. Trichomonas gallinae is spread through bird to bird contact, contaminated feed and water sources, and consumption of the carcass of infected birds. Medications that are used for canker target protozoa, although not all medications that have activity against protozoa will work for Trichomonas gallinae. Sulfa drugs will not work, nor will amprolium-based products. Many of the medications that have activity against this protozoa have for one reason or another been removed from the market place. Today, the standard medication for treating this is metronidazole.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the replies.

Undortunately we are very rural. I checked for API GC when we went to the local feed store and they did not carry it. I will remove the nodules so that she has a chance of holding out until the meds are delivered. She is still chipper and laying eggs.

Good luck, and you are a brave person. I have never had to do that before. We have a Petco about 20 miles away, but no Petsmart. TSC has put many of our older feed stores out of business. I'm glad that she is still acting healthy. It always helps others in the future when they read these threads if you can include pictures. I'm not that handy with my computer, but others are. Keep us updated on how she is doing.

Good luck, and you are a brave person. I have never had to do that before. We have a Petco about 20 miles away, but no Petsmart. TSC has put many of our older feed stores out of business. I'm glad that she is still acting healthy. It always helps others in the future when they read these threads if you can include pictures. I'm not that handy with my computer, but others are. Keep us updated on how she is doing.

Thank you! Yeah, we have a TSC and a small feed store. The nearest Petsmart is about 45 mins. I'm definitely taking pics every step of the way and will upload afters if she makes it through. I'm curious to see how her face will heal (hopefully it does).

This is my second year with my own chickens, though I've worked with them for about 2 yrs before that. Never even knew Canker was a thing but if everything heals I will consider this a valuable learning experience.

She took a turn for the worse this morning. She is very lethargic, ruffled feathers, her eyes are totally red (not bloodshot, they're just red?) and very pale comb. I think we might lose her to secondary infection :-/

I'm sorry to hear that. Will she drink for you? Has she been getting antibiotics while waiting for the fishzole?

I'm not sure if she has drank on her own but she is sort of petering around. I did give her pedialyte with a syringe this morning and will do so again this evening. She is on antibiotics as well as cleaning her lesion every day and applying antibacterial ointment.

We had a very hot day yesterday so part of me hopes she just got overheated and will perk up...sigh.

Hopefully you can help her. I would use the pedialyte and also mix a bowl of feed with lots of water, and you may even put raw egg and plain yogurt to give more flavor. My chickens when one is feeling puny, will take that mixture well while getting more fluids. It may be that her favus has spread to more areas or organs and she is going downhill. I just was rereading the Merck vet Manual link again and it said:

Clinical Findings:

The disease course of trichomonosis is rapid. The first lesions appear as small, yellowish areas on the oral mucosa. They grow rapidly and coalesce to form masses that frequently completely block the esophagus and may prevent the bird from closing its mouth. Much fluid may accumulate in the mouth. There is a watery ocular discharge and, in more advanced stages, exudate about the eyes that may result in blindness. Birds lose weight rapidly, become weak and listless, and sometimes die within 8–10 days. In chronic infections, birds appear healthy, although trichomonads can usually be demonstrated in scrapings from the mucous membranes of the throat.
Lesions:

Trichomonosis, pigeon
Courtesy of Dr. Jean Sander.
The bird may be riddled with caseous, necrotic foci. The mouth and esophagus contain a mass of necrotic material that may extend into the skull and sometimes through the surrounding tissues of the neck to involve the skin. In the esophagus and crop, the lesions may be yellow, rounded, raised areas, with a central conical caseous spur, often referred to as “yellow buttons.” The crop may be covered by a yellowish, diphtheritic membrane that may extend to the proventriculus. The gizzard and intestine are not involved. Lesions of internal organs are most frequent in the liver; they vary from a few small, yellow areas of necrosis to almost complete replacement of liver tissue by caseous necrotic debris. Adhesions and involvement of other internal organs appear to be contact extensions of the liver lesions.

I've been giving yogurt and eggs daily but I will try soaking her feed to get some more fluids in her. Wish there had been expedited shipping on her meds, it will be so sad and frustrating if we lose her before they even get here.

Hello all, Maude (the hen) passed away last night. Thank you everyone who helped for your expertise and guidance. I will be checking my other hens routinely for canker from now on.

Back
Top Bottom