Infected hock looks horrible

Jul 13, 2021
We have a chicken who has what the vet called a slipped tendon. She sits on her hock and hardly ever moves and this is the result. We have taken her to the vet twice without any clear instructions and she said it wasn’t infected and to keep it protected. We made a wheelchair and tried therapy with no luck. I have soaked it in Epsom salts, cleaned it with Chlorhexidine. I have put Vaseline, honey, antibiotic ointment on it (suggestion by a friend). I have wrapped it in gauze and Coban almost daily for the past month and nothing seems to be healing this. Please, is there any one who can give me some advice?

Attachments

• 64ADC8FD-5834-4358-A9F7-1D60574CEE2E.jpeg
    64ADC8FD-5834-4358-A9F7-1D60574CEE2E.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 2F234B9F-B31F-485E-BFA1-151EE952BDA0.jpeg
    2F234B9F-B31F-485E-BFA1-151EE952BDA0.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 05CFA5C1-94FF-48FB-A1E7-F4E11928DDEA.jpeg
    05CFA5C1-94FF-48FB-A1E7-F4E11928DDEA.jpeg
    897.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 7A66AF58-DA3E-4C65-8A73-7255209F3B3C.jpeg
    7A66AF58-DA3E-4C65-8A73-7255209F3B3C.jpeg
    849.2 KB · Views: 7
Unfortunately, this looks like a pressure sore from her putting the hock down. It might never heal. I would stop any honey that is not manuka hone, since I have read that it may promote infection. Also, some of the antiseptics may deter healing. The Neosporin at this point probably is not helping either. With human pressure sores, hydrogel or hydrocolloid dressing pads are used on hard to heal wounds. Those are available in most pharmacies and on Amazon. Any cleaning should be mild such as normal saline. If have any friend who is a nurse, they might have more suggestions. Here is some info on hydrocolloid pads:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hydrocolloid+wound+dressing&crid=1J57YL8K51RP9&sprefix=hydrocolloid,aps,106&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_4_12

Did this problem start back when the hen was a baby chick, or did the leg change? It could be a leg bone deformity called varus or valgus deformity. Slipped tendons are sometimes mistaken for those, and many chickens are put down. Another option might be to amputate the leg above the wound, and try to make an artificial 3 D leg.

Unfortunately, this looks like a pressure sore from her putting the hock down. It might never heal. I would stop any honey that is not manuka hone, since I have read that it may promote infection. Also, some of the antiseptics may deter healing. The Neosporin at this point probably is not helping either. With human pressure sores, hydrogel or hydrocolloid dressing pads are used on hard to heal wounds. Those are available in most pharmacies and on Amazon. Any cleaning should be mild such as normal saline. If have any friend who is a nurse, they might have more suggestions. Here is some info on hydrocolloid pads:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hydrocolloid+wound+dressing&crid=1J57YL8K51RP9&sprefix=hydrocolloid,aps,106&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_4_12

Did this problem start back when the hen was a baby chick, or did the leg change? It could be a leg bone deformity called varus or valgus deformity. Slipped tendons are sometimes mistaken for those, and many chickens are put down. Another option might be to amputate the leg above the wound, and try to make an artificial 3 D leg.
Thank you! She was the lone survivor of our first flock of 4, Pyrenees broke into the run when we turned our backs. (They we’re all new to each other…had them separated but the door wasn’t latched properly) she had a minor limp for months after that, but was doing well and getting around great. She has slowly declined over the past few months. I’ll go to the pharmacy and get some of those supplies and order the wound dressing from Amazon. I haven’t had to put a chicken down-and really don’t want to, so I’m willing to keep trying! I haven’t heard of the artificial 3Dchicken leg! Do you know if anyone who makes these?

If you google “3 d artificial leg for chicken,“ that will bring up some videos and links. Below is a pullet here locall that had a malformed leg, and they attached a 3d printer prosthesis to help her stand:

1658189040774.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom