Small cut on foot: treat or leave be?

MissGreenJeans

Songster
Oct 17, 2020
Asheville, NC
Hi there!

One of my girls appears to have a very small cut on the top of one toe. Pic attached. It’s dry, and I don’t see any swelling. I read some posts that advised soaking in epsom salts, applying triple antibiotic and/or wrapping in gauze and vet wrap. I can do those things…but I wonder if (1) that’s necessary with such a small wound and (2) if doing those things would draw her attention to the wound and make her mess with it, potentially making it worse.

She’s got my first chicken injury (lucky me, eh?), so I don’t know what’s best to do. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_0907.jpeg
    IMG_0907.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 38
Hi there!

One of my girls appears to have a very small cut on the top of one toe. Pic attached. It’s dry, and I don’t see any swelling. I read some posts that advised soaking in epsom salts, applying triple antibiotic and/or wrapping in gauze and vet wrap. I can do those things…but I wonder if (1) that’s necessary with such a small wound and (2) if doing those things would draw her attention to the wound and make her mess with it, potentially making it worse.

She’s got my first chicken injury (lucky me, eh?), so I don’t know what’s best to do. Thanks in advance for any advice!

It doesn’t look too bad to me. Her scales look a little dry though. If it were my chicken, I would grab her after roosting at night and give her legs and feet a bath, then use a clean toothbrush to apply castor oil. I would then spray the wound with vetericyn once or twice a day.

On top of the foot the wound is much less likely to become infected or cause a problem.

I prefer something like Betadine or povidone iodine applied to cuts and scrapes on feet. It kind of hides the red cut, and disinfects. If her scales are lifting up and if she may have pecked her foot due to leg mites, applying the oil or vaseline twice a week for several weeks could be helpful to smother any scaly leg mites.

I prefer something like Betadine or povidone iodine applied to cuts and scrapes on feet. It kind of hides the red cut, and disinfects. If her scales are lifting up and if she may have pecked her foot due to leg mites, applying the oil or vaseline twice a week for several weeks could be helpful to smother any scaly leg mites.
Thanks! Her scales do appear to be lifting up—so I’ll try oil/vaseline.

It doesn’t look too bad to me. Her scales look a little dry though. If it were my chicken, I would grab her after roosting at night and give her legs and feet a bath, then use a clean toothbrush to apply castor oil. I would then spray the wound with vetericyn once or twice a day.

On top of the foot the wound is much less likely to become infected or cause a problem.
Glad it doesn’t look too bad! Whew! Appreciate the guidance. :)

Back
Top Bottom