Rooster with possible bumble foot?

dottie15

Chirping
May 18, 2022
Hello!
I noticed my rooster Dottie’s left foot looked a little swollen compared to his right foot. You can see it in the first three pictures. He’s still very active and he isn’t limping or walking differently. With help I was able to get him to soak in warm water and epsom salt for almost 10 minutes (last two pictures). Under his left foot was what I think is a cut/scab. I didn’t have gauze, antibiotic or bandage with me at the moment so I just dabbed it dry and sprayed it with Manna Pro microcyn AH wound and skin care spray. I also rubbed his legs with Vaseline. I’m not sure if it’s just a cut or bumble foot and I don’t want it getting worse and developing into bumble foot so my question is should I treat it as if it is by peeling the scab off, applying antibiotic and wrapping it? I just don’t want to make it worse by doing more than I should. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5697.jpeg
    IMG_5697.jpeg
    532.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5698.jpeg
    IMG_5698.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5700.jpeg
    IMG_5700.jpeg
    397 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5701.jpeg
    IMG_5701.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5705.jpeg
    IMG_5705.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 37
It looks like bumblefoot. I'd treat it as such.

If you do a search for bumblefoot treatment here on BYC, you will find lots of information on how to treat.

It looks like bumblefoot. I'd treat it as such.

If you do a search for bumblefoot treatment here on BYC, you will find lots of information on how to treat.
Thanks for your reply! Here are some pictures from today. I can’t tell if it’s getting better or worse.
I soaked his feet in a warm epsom salt bath, sprayed it down with peroxide, sprayed some Manna Pro wound and skin care spray, put a blob of antibiotic ointment on a gauze pad under his foot pad, wrapped it with bandage and taped it with medical tape so it stays put. I don’t want to start poking at his foot if I don’t see a bumble. I’m hoping I’m making the right call.

Attachments

• IMG_5727.jpeg
    IMG_5727.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5726.jpeg
    IMG_5726.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5725.jpeg
    IMG_5725.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 22
If there’s signs of infection, e.g. swelling, tenderness, discolouration, then it’s a good idea to soak and peel the scab off when it’s ready. That way, whatever is underneath it can come out, which needs to happen for the wound to heal. Then you can keep it clean and protected and it will scab over again, and then you shouldn’t need to intervene and the skin underneath will heal and the scab will fall off.

Dottie’s footpad looks swollen but it’s hard to see a wound/scab in the pictures.

Oh wait I just went back and there is one picture where it’s clear. I would soak every night and keep it covered with gauze and wrap. Test the scab with tweezers to see if it’s ready to pull off and then see what’s under there/what you can squeeze out.

Honey or a drawing salve like magnoplasm/prid are good to use to help draw out infection and soften the scab.

Back
Top Bottom