Infected injury in meat bird

AutumnThyme

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 21, 2014
Hi there everyone, got a problem here. I'm going by the posting guidelines, so here goes:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Red broiler, 13-ish weeks, maybe 8 lb???
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She was injured on both wing "elbows" by other chickens who pecked her, pulling out feathers & causing deep wounds. Now, a week later, one "elbow" is swollen around the wound area and she indicates discomfort when I palpate the area.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
1 week.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, she was the exclusive victim of the bullying/ cannibalism.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
There was much bleeding when it occurred, but no broken bones or other injuries.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Chickens cornered and tried to eat her?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Since the other broilers are now in the freezer, she's been eating 16% layer pellets. She seems to eat & drink normally.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Thorough cleaning with hydrogen peroxide, daily monitoring.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I want to mitigate her suffering & make her well enough to yield a presentable carcass. I am hoping someone knows of antibiotics that can be used for meat birds.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

I don't. Sorry.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Tractor over grass.

Thanks a bunch everybody. I really appreciate it.

Cut your peroxide with an equal amount of water. Straight peroxide is good for an initial clean but actually prevents tissue from healing. You can also use a 50/50 iodine and water cleanse or a chlorhexidine wash.

Thanks, I will try just upping the wound care and see if she can resolve it without antibiotics. It's not draining pus, just looks a bit swollen. I want her to have a good life while she's here, but I was not looking forward to having to hold her for an extra 30 days (or however long) for the antibiotics to clear.

Back
Top Bottom